Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Echolink THEBRIDGE running on the Pi

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 26, 2013
      Mark,

      You are thinking of Thelinkbox.  It will do Echolink connections, act as a conference server, and control repeaters.  I have tested thelinkbox on the Pi using a URI controlling a Moto Micor and it worked like a champ, but did require that we force the USB bus to 1.1 speeds for the best audio while linked.

      Robert
      K5DTE

      On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM, wx7y <bmills1@...> wrote:

      This is not a Echolink Node.
      THEBRIDGE is a EchoLink Bridge and does NOT have a radio connected to it so NO in answer to your question.

      73's Bret

      WX7Y

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Mark Cheavens wrote:

      > What sound dongle did you use as an input?
      >
      > Did you use a GPIO pin or a USB device for COS input?
      >
      > Thanks
      > KC5EVE
      > At 10:56 PM 1/25/2013, you wrote:
      > >

      > >Well I've been playing around with one of my
      > >Raspberry Pi's today and have been successful
      > >installing "thebridge-1.09" EchoLINK gateway.
      > >This will replace a couple of servers and hopefully be less maintenance.
      > >
      > >We had 6 EchoLink / EchoIRLP nodes connected to
      > >it today and it was solid as a rock.
      > >Maybe with more Nodes being connected there
      > >would be a problem but for our purpose these little guys should work great.
      > >
      > >This has probably already been done by some but
      > >I wasn't able to find anything about it doing a Google search.
      > >
      > >There was nothing really special about it, just
      > >use the Debian "install" script.
      > >
      > >73's
      > >Bret
      > >WX7Y

    • wx7y
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 26, 2013
        This may be closer to what your looking for, I do have a EchoIRLP Node which runs BOTH Echolink and IRLP with a radio using COR and PTT running and soon will have two up and going with the Raspberry Pi's using Dave Cameron's IRLP Version3 Boards which provides all the required DTMF, COR, PTT amd a couple of output aux. controls for doing other things with using HIS install scripts IRLP V3 board and software.

        For complete information visit the Pi IRLP WIKI at the web address below.

        http://wiki.irlp.net/doku.php?id=installing_pirlp

        You will also need a Pi compatable USB Sound card and NOT the on board sound.

        The EchoIRLP Pi set up works very well and with Dave's help and scripts it is quite easy to set up.

        73's
        Bret
        WX7Y

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Mark Cheavens wrote:

        > What sound dongle did you use as an input?
        >
        > Did you use a GPIO pin or a USB device for COS input?
        >
        > Thanks
        > KC5EVE
        > At 10:56 PM 1/25/2013, you wrote:
        > >

        > >Well I've been playing around with one of my
        > >Raspberry Pi's today and have been successful
        > >installing "thebridge-1.09" EchoLINK gateway.
        > >This will replace a couple of servers and hopefully be less maintenance.
        > >
        > >We had 6 EchoLink / EchoIRLP nodes connected to
        > >it today and it was solid as a rock.
        > >Maybe with more Nodes being connected there
        > >would be a problem but for our purpose these little guys should work great.
        > >
        > >This has probably already been done by some but
        > >I wasn't able to find anything about it doing a Google search.
        > >
        > >There was nothing really special about it, just
        > >use the Debian "install" script.
        > >
        > >73's
        > >Bret
        > >WX7Y

      • Kristoff Bonne
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 28, 2013
          Hi,

          On 26-01-13 17:50, wx7y wrote:

          This may be closer to what your looking for, I do have a EchoIRLP Node which runs BOTH Echolink and IRLP with a radio using COR and PTT running and soon will have two up and going with the Raspberry Pi's using Dave Cameron's IRLP Version3 Boards which provides all the required DTMF, COR, PTT amd a couple of output aux. controls for doing other things with using HIS install scripts IRLP V3 board and software.

          For complete information visit the Pi IRLP WIKI at the web address below.
          http://wiki.irlp.net/doku.php?id=installing_pirlp

          (...)

          Interesting.

          Now what would be the minimal specification for a echolink "link" system?

          I have recently bought two pogoplug-devices and reflashed them with arch-linux to turn them small linux-boxes. They have a 1.2 Ghz ARM9 but without FPU. Does echolink need a FPU to operate? (IIRC, it's based on the GSM codec, no?)
          Are the linux echolink implementation fixed-point or do they require a FPU?

          73's
          Bret
          WX7Y

          73
          Kristoff - ON1ARF
        • Kristoff Bonne
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 28, 2013
            Hi all,

            I know this list is called "Raspberry pi 4 Hams", so a small question on the sideline.

            Is it also accepted to discuss other (linux) boards here? (for matters that relate to "ham" of course).

            The raspberry Pi is far from the only small linux-board that can be used for ham applications. I think of the pandaboard and beagleboard, the beaglebone, or "plug-computer" like devices like the sheeva-plug and the pogoplug and others. There are now even these "computer-on-a-stick" devices that run android.

            They all run linux, they all have USB-ports to plug in (say) audio-dongles to connect to a radio, they all have ethernet; most -not all- have GPIO, SPI and I2C connectivity, so I do think they have a lot in common.

            73
            Kristoff - ON1ARF

            On 28-01-13 16:41, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

            Hi,

            On 26-01-13 17:50, wx7y wrote:

[...]

          • Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 28, 2013
              As group owner I see no issues with a broader range of discussion.. I hope this is ok with everyone?

              73 Jerry N9LYA

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 28, 2013
                Sure, as long as we don't get into a 'religious war' about which is 'best' -- see Linux/Windows/Apple controversy elsewhere...

                Rick
                K3IND

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 28, 2013
                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA" wrote:

                  > As group owner I see no issues with a broader range of discussion.. I hope this is ok with everyone?
                  >
                  > 73 Jerry N9LYA

                  Just as an aside, there is a linux-hams list that has been in existence for a long time, example post follows with subscription information at the end:

                  ----

                  Good news everyone!

                  Hamlib-1.2.11 has been released.

                  Hamlib provides a unified environment for the development of radio
                  and rotator control applications. The release 1.2.11 includes many
                  improvements since last official version.

                  The wiki site is available at http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/hamlib/

                  Version 1.2.11
                  * New models: RA-3702, IC-738, IC-7600, IC-7700, AR 7030+,
                  FT-980, TT-536 Delta-II, R&S EB200
                  * New rotator backends: GS-232B, GS-232 (not A or B), ARS RCI, M2 RC2800
                  * Fixes and features: TH-F7E, FT-847, FT-736, FT-920, FT767GX, FT-747,
                  FT-950, FT-450, Yaesu NewCAT, PCR*, IC-706MkIIG, IC-7800, R-8A, Paragon
                  * rigctld/rotctld
                  * ltdl security update
                  * IPv6 ready
                  * bindings not built by default

                  Download pages are accessible at http://sourceforge.net/projects/hamlib,
                  rpms, .deb and Win32 DLL's coming soon.

                  Please, check it out and report to hamlib-developer@...
                  If your favorite rig is not in the supported list, feel free to ask.
                  We need more beta-testers, so all the backends can reach the stable
                  and fully supported state.

                  Many thanks to all the developers and testers who participated
                  in this release. Contributors and backend maintainers are listed in
                  the AUTHORS file.

                  Have fun and let us know!

                  73 de Stephane - F8CFE & the Hamlib team

                • jerome schatten
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 28, 2013
                    OK by me -- jerome va7vv/ve7ass Vancouver

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 28, 2013
                      I just found this group. I came here through a post on the APRS group about the TNCX for the Raspberry Pi. I've been working on something closely related, namely taking a TNCX and creating a board (or cape) for the BeagleBone.

                      What is being discussed here has a lot of merit not only for Raspberry Pi but also for other ARM boards running Linux.

                      Adi
                      VA3ADI