Re: Setting an ALIAS in APRX

  • Max
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 16, 2013
      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hayward wrote:

      > On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Max wrote:
      > >
      > > I have my station set as a fill-in digi. There are weather stations that
      > > don't use wide, they use a two digit state code so weather packets don't
      > > cross state lines. I think I need to set an ALIAS of AL (I'm in Alabama) and
      > > tried adding it in the interface section, per the manual but that completly
      > > stopped all digipeating. Can someone here show me where I need to add the
      > > proper ALIAS. Here are a some packets that have a path of AL. I asked this
      > > qustion on the APRX group on google but I haven't received any replys
      >
      > This is not an ALIAS.
      >
      > In your section, sub-section, add AL under keys.
      > This is described in section 3.8.1 of the APRX manual. You may want to
      > re-read all of section 3.8 to make sure your digipeater is doing what
      > you think it is doing. For a fill-in, make sure maxreq is 1.
      >
      > http://ham.zmailer.org/oh2mqk/aprx/aprx-manual.pdf
      >
      > Tom KD7LXL

      While APRX may call it something different, RELAY, WIDE, TEMP, SAR, and in my case AL are all aliases. A rose by any other name is still a rose. Thanks for the help, I made the changes and have been looking at the APRX-RF.log every few hours and so far, it is doing exactly what I wanted it to.

      Max KG4PID
    • Tom Hayward
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 17, 2013
        On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Max <kg4pid@...> wrote:

        > While APRX may call it something different, RELAY, WIDE, TEMP, SAR, and in
        > my case AL are all aliases. A rose by any other name is still a rose. Thanks
        > for the help, I made the changes and have been looking at the APRX-RF.log
        > every few hours and so far, it is doing exactly what I wanted it to.

        The aprx manual does not use "alias" and "keys" interchangeably.
        "keys" are used in <digipeater> sub-sections. "alias" is used in
        <interface> definitions. For my digipeater, I use "keys". Are you sure
        that one of these roses is not a tulip? If not, you might propose a
        change to the manual to indicate these keywords are interchangeable.

        Tom KD7LXL