Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Setting an ALIAS in APRX

  • Tom Hayward
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 15, 2013
      On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Max <kg4pid@...> wrote:

      > I have my station set as a fill-in digi. There are weather stations that
      > don't use wide, they use a two digit state code so weather packets don't
      > cross state lines. I think I need to set an ALIAS of AL (I'm in Alabama) and
      > tried adding it in the interface section, per the manual but that completly
      > stopped all digipeating. Can someone here show me where I need to add the
      > proper ALIAS. Here are a some packets that have a path of AL. I asked this
      > qustion on the APRX group on google but I haven't received any replys

      This is not an ALIAS.

      In your <digipeater> section, <trace> sub-section, add AL under keys.
      This is described in section 3.8.1 of the APRX manual. You may want to
      re-read all of section 3.8 to make sure your digipeater is doing what
      you think it is doing. For a fill-in, make sure maxreq is 1.

      http://ham.zmailer.org/oh2mqk/aprx/aprx-manual.pdf

      Tom KD7LXL
    • Max
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 16, 2013
        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hayward wrote:

        > On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Max wrote:
        > >
        > > I have my station set as a fill-in digi. There are weather stations that
        > > don't use wide, they use a two digit state code so weather packets don't
        > > cross state lines. I think I need to set an ALIAS of AL (I'm in Alabama) and
        > > tried adding it in the interface section, per the manual but that completly
        > > stopped all digipeating. Can someone here show me where I need to add the
        > > proper ALIAS. Here are a some packets that have a path of AL. I asked this
        > > qustion on the APRX group on google but I haven't received any replys
        >
        > This is not an ALIAS.
        >
        > In your section, sub-section, add AL under keys.
        > This is described in section 3.8.1 of the APRX manual. You may want to
        > re-read all of section 3.8 to make sure your digipeater is doing what
        > you think it is doing. For a fill-in, make sure maxreq is 1.
        >
        > http://ham.zmailer.org/oh2mqk/aprx/aprx-manual.pdf
        >
        > Tom KD7LXL

        While APRX may call it something different, RELAY, WIDE, TEMP, SAR, and in my case AL are all aliases. A rose by any other name is still a rose. Thanks for the help, I made the changes and have been looking at the APRX-RF.log every few hours and so far, it is doing exactly what I wanted it to.

        Max KG4PID
      • Tom Hayward
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 17, 2013
          On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Max <kg4pid@...> wrote:

          > While APRX may call it something different, RELAY, WIDE, TEMP, SAR, and in
          > my case AL are all aliases. A rose by any other name is still a rose. Thanks
          > for the help, I made the changes and have been looking at the APRX-RF.log
          > every few hours and so far, it is doing exactly what I wanted it to.

          The aprx manual does not use "alias" and "keys" interchangeably.
          "keys" are used in <digipeater> sub-sections. "alias" is used in
          <interface> definitions. For my digipeater, I use "keys". Are you sure
          that one of these roses is not a tulip? If not, you might propose a
          change to the manual to indicate these keywords are interchangeable.

          Tom KD7LXL