Setting an ALIAS in APRX

  • Max
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 15, 2013
      I have my station set as a fill-in digi. There are weather stations that don't use wide, they use a two digit state code so weather packets don't cross state lines. I think I need to set an ALIAS of AL (I'm in Alabama) and tried adding it in the interface section, per the manual but that completly stopped all digipeating. Can someone here show me where I need to add the proper ALIAS. Here are a some packets that have a path of AL. I asked this qustion on the APRX group on google but I haven't received any replys

      N4IDX-7>APTT4,AL1-1,AL2-1:!3424.47N/08723.62W_326/014g015t060r000p000P000h00b10104TU2k

      HATSCH>APOT2A,AL1-1:!3433.66N/08724.97W_/N4JDB
      ESTLAW>APOT2A,AL1-1:!3434.02N/08710.40W_/W2,ALn KN4CI

      <interface> ##For primary radio on 144.390 mhz
      serial-device /dev/ttyUSB0 9600 8n1 KISS
      tx-ok true
      alias WIDE,AL
      </interface>

      Thanks, Max KG4PID
    • Tom Hayward
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 15, 2013
        On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Max <kg4pid@...> wrote:

        > I have my station set as a fill-in digi. There are weather stations that
        > don't use wide, they use a two digit state code so weather packets don't
        > cross state lines. I think I need to set an ALIAS of AL (I'm in Alabama) and
        > tried adding it in the interface section, per the manual but that completly
        > stopped all digipeating. Can someone here show me where I need to add the
        > proper ALIAS. Here are a some packets that have a path of AL. I asked this
        > qustion on the APRX group on google but I haven't received any replys

        This is not an ALIAS.

        In your <digipeater> section, <trace> sub-section, add AL under keys.
        This is described in section 3.8.1 of the APRX manual. You may want to
        re-read all of section 3.8 to make sure your digipeater is doing what
        you think it is doing. For a fill-in, make sure maxreq is 1.

        http://ham.zmailer.org/oh2mqk/aprx/aprx-manual.pdf

        Tom KD7LXL
      • Max
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 16, 2013
          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hayward wrote:

          > On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Max wrote:
          > >
          > > I have my station set as a fill-in digi. There are weather stations that
          > > don't use wide, they use a two digit state code so weather packets don't
          > > cross state lines. I think I need to set an ALIAS of AL (I'm in Alabama) and
          > > tried adding it in the interface section, per the manual but that completly
          > > stopped all digipeating. Can someone here show me where I need to add the
          > > proper ALIAS. Here are a some packets that have a path of AL. I asked this
          > > qustion on the APRX group on google but I haven't received any replys
          >
          > This is not an ALIAS.
          >
          > In your section, sub-section, add AL under keys.
          > This is described in section 3.8.1 of the APRX manual. You may want to
          > re-read all of section 3.8 to make sure your digipeater is doing what
          > you think it is doing. For a fill-in, make sure maxreq is 1.
          >
          > http://ham.zmailer.org/oh2mqk/aprx/aprx-manual.pdf
          >
          > Tom KD7LXL

          While APRX may call it something different, RELAY, WIDE, TEMP, SAR, and in my case AL are all aliases. A rose by any other name is still a rose. Thanks for the help, I made the changes and have been looking at the APRX-RF.log every few hours and so far, it is doing exactly what I wanted it to.

          Max KG4PID
        • Tom Hayward
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 17, 2013
            On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Max <kg4pid@...> wrote:

            > While APRX may call it something different, RELAY, WIDE, TEMP, SAR, and in
            > my case AL are all aliases. A rose by any other name is still a rose. Thanks
            > for the help, I made the changes and have been looking at the APRX-RF.log
            > every few hours and so far, it is doing exactly what I wanted it to.

            The aprx manual does not use "alias" and "keys" interchangeably.
            "keys" are used in <digipeater> sub-sections. "alias" is used in
            <interface> definitions. For my digipeater, I use "keys". Are you sure
            that one of these roses is not a tulip? If not, you might propose a
            change to the manual to indicate these keywords are interchangeable.

            Tom KD7LXL