SDR on Pi (Was Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Copy SD cards??)

  • vbifyz
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 12, 2013
      My impression is that the hardware (the GPU part) has plenty of horsepower to do the SDR. The present limitation is in the firmware, and it can not be currently bypassed by third party developers because of the lack of GPU documentation.

      A better bet for SDR seems to be the Mk802 little box and other devices based on the Mali GPU core. It is a bit more open and there is some active development happening there.

      73, Mike

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Pitts wrote:

      > As has been repeatedly stated, it is not possible to do it all on the Raspberry Pi at the present time; for whatever reason, the current hardware configuration of the Raspberry Pi does not provide sufficient resources to do so. It would be a nice thing, but we need to be sensible about the reality of what is currently possible. Heck, I have (or should I say will have) 5 Raspberry Pi to work with, and I'm not sure it's worth it to ruin one trying to do this right now.
      >
      > Matthew Pitts
      > N8OHU
      >
      > Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

    • siegfried jackstien
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 12, 2013
        If you need processor power go for odroid x2

        1.7 gig quad core

        Dg9bfc

        sigi

        > -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

      • Robert Nickels
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 12, 2013
          On 1/12/2013 12:17 PM, vbifyz wrote:

          > the Mk802

          Hi Mike,

          Or rather, the MK808 successor to the MK802, but yes - it's going to be
          real interesting to see how these PC-on-a-stick things evolve. The
          newest B model includes bluetooth, which is interesting from a radio
          perspective.

          Here's a bit of a comparison (not wholly objective) of the MK802 vs R-Pi
          - http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4828154 (Reader discretion
          advised, writer is not a big fan of all things Pi)

          We've already seen the STM32 Discovery at under $10 and it's a pretty
          sure bet that Linux on ARM has a future...I'll go way out on the limb
          here and predict we'll see quite a few SDR-capable platforms at <$50
          within the coming year.

          73, Bob W9RAN