SDR on Pi (Was Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Copy SD cards??)

  • mathisono
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
      Hello All,
      Posted that the RPi dose not pack the punch to run the GHPSDR3 DSP-server and RTL-server on board. I noted that one could run a RTL-server, and then run the dsp-server on another CPU but not both on a single RPi.

      As seen in the post He is using the SDR sharp to do the bulk of the work. The RPi is only running the RTL-TCP-server, that's sending the samples off to SDR sharp for FFT. (http://www.hamradioscience.com/raspberry-pi-as-remote-server-for-rtl2832u-sdr/)

      Im off on vacation for the next week, and don't have time befor then to rebuild the GHPSDR3-alex, as that i killed the SD card with the program onboard. It was EZ to build and didnt take 3hr to compile like ROS on the RPi. Its worth setting up a test conditions, were the (RPi runs just the RTL-server) Then another CPU runs an instance of the DSP_server. It likely to work! On the other hand the GHPSDR3-Alex DSP-server is written as a mono TCP-sample-stream DSP-server. The Project's softrock-server dose support multiple Softrock but that server is written to posses an audio stream. With the DSP-server and RLT-server amended to receive multiple TCP-streams, a QTradio client could have access to 4 RX streams. Multiple RPi with even 2 RTL dongles (Direction finding!) passing the data to a DSP-server.
      http://openhpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=File:Ghpsdr3.png

      Another example of the GHPSDR3 on a RPI (
      http://g0orx.blogspot.com/2012/07/multiple-raspberry-pi-and-ghpsdr3.html

      73
      Mathison kj6DZB
    • Matthew Pitts
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013

        As has been repeatedly stated, it is not possible to do it all on the Raspberry Pi at the present time; for whatever reason, the current hardware configuration of the Raspberry Pi does not provide sufficient resources to do so. It would be a nice thing, but we need to be sensible about the reality of what is currently possible. Heck, I have (or should I say will have) 5 Raspberry Pi to work with, and I'm not sure it's worth it to ruin one trying to do this right now.

        Matthew Pitts
        N8OHU

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 12, 2013
          My impression is that the hardware (the GPU part) has plenty of horsepower to do the SDR. The present limitation is in the firmware, and it can not be currently bypassed by third party developers because of the lack of GPU documentation.

          A better bet for SDR seems to be the Mk802 little box and other devices based on the Mali GPU core. It is a bit more open and there is some active development happening there.

          73, Mike

          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Pitts wrote:

          > As has been repeatedly stated, it is not possible to do it all on the Raspberry Pi at the present time; for whatever reason, the current hardware configuration of the Raspberry Pi does not provide sufficient resources to do so. It would be a nice thing, but we need to be sensible about the reality of what is currently possible. Heck, I have (or should I say will have) 5 Raspberry Pi to work with, and I'm not sure it's worth it to ruin one trying to do this right now.
          >
          > Matthew Pitts
          > N8OHU
          >
          > Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

        • siegfried jackstien
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 12, 2013
            If you need processor power go for odroid x2

            1.7 gig quad core

            Dg9bfc

            sigi

            > -----Urspr├╝ngliche Nachricht-----

          • Robert Nickels
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 12, 2013
              On 1/12/2013 12:17 PM, vbifyz wrote:

              > the Mk802

              Hi Mike,

              Or rather, the MK808 successor to the MK802, but yes - it's going to be
              real interesting to see how these PC-on-a-stick things evolve. The
              newest B model includes bluetooth, which is interesting from a radio
              perspective.

              Here's a bit of a comparison (not wholly objective) of the MK802 vs R-Pi
              - http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4828154 (Reader discretion
              advised, writer is not a big fan of all things Pi)

              We've already seen the STM32 Discovery at under $10 and it's a pretty
              sure bet that Linux on ARM has a future...I'll go way out on the limb
              here and predict we'll see quite a few SDR-capable platforms at <$50
              within the coming year.

              73, Bob W9RAN