FW: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Copy SD cards??

  • John B. Cundiff Jr.
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 11, 2013
      SDR article discusses Pi Server application...remote control.

      http://www.hamradioscience.com/raspberry-pi-as-remote-server-for-rtl2832u-sd
      r/

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 11, 2013
        I've changed the subject so this will show up in search. Here is the
        step-by-step procedure that I posted on Dec 18: "Dongle Server for
        Raspberry Pi - configuration instructions/"

        I've followed this guide myself when I've upgraded and it works - you
        just may need to sudo more or fewer places based on your set up. After
        the installation is complete you should also more rtl-sdr.rules from
        /rtl-sdr to /etc/udev/rules.d so you won't need to be root in order to
        run things.

        This approach breaks the SDR task into a client-server configuration,
        where the Pi serves I/Q data from the DVB-T dongle over the network to
        an SDR program such as SDR# running on a PC. As I said before, doing
        this at 1 megasample per second consumes 30% of the Pi CPU. Cranking
        up the full capability of the dongle takes 60%. In my opinion, this
        is not "SDR on a Pi", it's a Dongle Server on a Pi.

        What is your definition? Many people automatically think of fancy
        screens with a spectrum and waterfall displays and loads of features,
        but if you want to use a Pi as a receiver, "simpler is better". A Pi
        and a dongle will send ADS-B raw data from 1090 Mhz over the internet
        all day long, using 30% of the CPU. No audio, no tuning knobs no fancy
        graphics - but it is truly a software defined radio that performs this
        function as well as $500+ models.

        The Youtube videos that come up in my search are demonstrating the
        client-server approach that I describe above. Others have attempted
        to run the ghpsdr-3 hardware_server and DSP_server on the Pi, and one of
        our members, Mathison kj6dzb, has posted here about the barriers he
        encountered.

        Please post specific links if you're seeing something I'm missing.

        73, Bob W9RAN
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 11, 2013
          Hi John

          I can't spend a week researching all these links...

          I'd need a concise list of what operating system you require and exactly
          what program. You don't want to pay by the hour for me to research all
          those links.

          On 1/11/13 6:21 PM, John B. Cundiff Jr. wrote:
          > SDR article discusses Pi Server application...remote control.
          >
          > http://www.hamradioscience.com/raspberry-pi-as-remote-server-for-rtl2832u-sd
          > r/

        • John B. Cundiff Jr.
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 12, 2013

            i was hoping to find someone in this Yahoo group who has already done all this research and knows
            how to accomplish this task.....I just wanted such a person to share with me  a SD card preloaded
            with the software  needed For the Pi and Linux...for which I wood gladly pay a reasonabnle price .
            I did not want to pay for the reinvention of the wheel.

            I wood then get the necessary  Downloads for the PC  end of the operation since you all agree
            the Pi is not up to  doing it anyother way .

            John

          • Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 12, 2013
              Instead of continually pleading and whining for someone to do everything for you, something you've now been doing for
              several days, get off your butt and find your local Linux User Group and ask them to teach you the basics.
              Several people have pointed you in the right direction and offered helpful suggestions and all you continue to do is
              whine.

              On January 12, 2013 at 7:01 AM "John B. Cundiff Jr." <jbcundiffjr@...> wrote:

              > i was hoping to find someone in this Yahoo group who has already done all this research and knows
              > how to accomplish this task.....I just wanted such a person to share with me a SD card preloaded
              > with the software needed For the Pi and Linux...for which I wood gladly pay a reasonabnle price .
              > I did not want to pay for the reinvention of the wheel.
              I can't spend a week researching all these links...

              Nigel A. Gunn, 1865 El Camino Drive, Xenia, OH 45385-1115, USA. tel +1 937 825 5032
              Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF (was KC8NHF 9H3GN), e-mail nigel@... www http://www.ngunn.net
              Member of ARRL, GQRP #11396, QRPARCI #11644, SOC #548, Flying Pigs QRP Club International #385,
              Dayton ARA #2128, AMSAT-NA LM-1691, MKARS, GCARES, EAA382.
            • Clayton Brantley
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 12, 2013
                AMEN!!!!!!

                Instead of continually pleading and whining for someone to do everything for you, something you've now been doing for
                several days, get off your butt and find your local Linux User Group and ask them to teach you the basics.
                Several people have pointed you in the right direction and offered helpful suggestions and all you continue to do is
                whine.

                On January 12, 2013 at 7:01 AM "John B. Cundiff Jr." jbcundiffjr@...> wrote:

                > i was hoping to find someone in this Yahoo group who has already done all this research and knows
                > how to accomplish this task.....I just wanted such a person to share with me a SD card preloaded
                > with the software needed For the Pi and Linux...for which I wood gladly pay a reasonabnle price .
                > I did not want to pay for the reinvention of the wheel.
                I can't spend a week researching all these links...

                Nigel A. Gunn, 1865 El Camino Drive, Xenia, OH 45385-1115, USA. tel +1 937 825 5032
                Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF (was KC8NHF 9H3GN), e-mail nigel@... www http://www.ngunn.net
                Member of ARRL, GQRP #11396, QRPARCI #11644, SOC #548, Flying Pigs QRP Club International #385,
                Dayton ARA #2128, AMSAT-NA LM-1691, MKARS, GCARES, EAA382.

              • John B. Cundiff Jr
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 12, 2013
                  I tried to  load the SD card myself but they wood not work.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 12, 2013

                    Pardon me !

                    I will not darken your  door again...o great one.

                    Instead of continually pleading and whining for someone to do everything for you, something you've now been doing for
                    several days, get off your butt and find your local Linux User Group and ask them to teach you the basics.
                    Several people have pointed you in the right direction and offered helpful suggestions and all you continue to do is
                    whine.

                    On January 12, 2013 at 7:01 AM "John B. Cundiff Jr." jbcundiffjr@...> wrote:

                    > i was hoping to find someone in this Yahoo group who has already done all this research and knows
                    > how to accomplish this task.....I just wanted such a person to share with me a SD card preloaded
                    > with the software needed For the Pi and Linux...for which I wood gladly pay a reasonabnle price .
                    > I did not want to pay for the reinvention of the wheel.
                    I can't spend a week researching all these links...

                    Nigel A. Gunn, 1865 El Camino Drive, Xenia, OH 45385-1115, USA. tel +1 937 825 5032
                    Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF (was KC8NHF 9H3GN), e-mail nigel@... www http://www.ngunn.net
                    Member of ARRL, GQRP #11396, QRPARCI #11644, SOC #548, Flying Pigs QRP Club International #385,
                    Dayton ARA #2128, AMSAT-NA LM-1691, MKARS, GCARES, EAA382.

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 13, 2013
                      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Robert Nickels wrote:

                      > I've changed the subject so this will show up in search.

                      Hi Bob.

                      Thank you for doing as it makes finding you previous message much easier to find, now i can dig out my DVB-T dongle and get it running with my Pi :-)

                      73 John Mi0AAZ.