Re: AW: SDR on Pi (Was Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Copy SD cards??)

  • Donald J. Tambeau
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013

      Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 12:24 PM
      Subject: AW: SDR on Pi (Was Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Copy SD cards??)

      Were did you found that (sat receiving with a dvbt stick?!? Could you give
      me the link to it?!?

      Here in dl the analog atv is slowly changed to digital tv (using sat
      receivers for decoding!) ... if that is also possible with the dvbt stick
      ... we could then use them for datv

      Dg9bfc

      sigi

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
        You Tube " Cheap  Satellite  receiver"

        On 01/11/13, siegfried jackstien<siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

        Were did you found that (sat receiving with a dvbt stick?!? Could you give
        me the link to it?!?

        Here in dl the analog atv is slowly changed to digital tv (using sat
        receivers for decoding!) ... if that is also possible with the dvbt stick
        ... we could then use them for datv

        Dg9bfc

        sigi

      • Andy B
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
          This may be what you were looking for:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuyHpx1tnWI

           Been reading all the posts & many people have already said what
          I've been contemplating. IE: The Pi has not enough power to handle
          this well. Mainly the lack of a video driver for the Mali 400 GPU.

          Which by the way is used in most of the other brands of S.B.C.'s.
           For example the Hackberry A10,Cubieboard,Odroid-U2,A13-Olinoxino,
          Gooseberry, these are just a few.  If running Android the GPU is
          supported. Problem being,the driver source has not been released to
          the Linux community!

          If one is going to run this sdr program in Pi,you will have to:
          Compile it from the source,& compile it for the Arm ver-6.
          I'm sure it's working well on full blown Linux boxes anyhow..

          Later,Andy (AC2HE)

          Were did you found that (sat receiving with a dvbt stick?!? Could you give
          me the link to it?!?

          Here in dl the analog atv is slowly changed to digital tv (using sat
          receivers for decoding!) ... if that is also possible with the dvbt stick
          ... we could then use them for datv

          Dg9bfc

          sigi

        • mathisono
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
            I posted this last week.

            Be careful over clocking your RPi with over_volt set to 6 even with the new
            firmware! Ive now killed 2 cards. Ive taken out 2 sd cards.

            I was attempting to increase the performance on a RPi that was running a DVB
            dongle sdr server. The software: hardware_server and DSP_server from the GHPSDR3
            project. The conclusion I came to before I lost the card was, the RPi is under
            powered for running the hardware_server and DSP_server at the same time, even in
            turbo mode.

            I will stick to multi_core computers for my SDR servers. They just pack the
            punch.
            I realy have no use for a single DVB dongle & RPi. Specialized hardware like the
            Hiqsdr ( http://hiqsdr.com/hiqsdr-wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page ) Next is to
            launch 3 DVB's on one dsp_server. The project need help with the code.

            http://napan.ca/ghpsdr3/index.php/Main_Page

            groups.google.com/group/sdr-widget

            73 kj6dzb Mathison
          • John B. Cundiff Jr.
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013

              http://www.hamradioscience.com/raspberry-pi-as-remote-server-for-rtl2832u-sdr/

              Maybe this article will clear up some of the confusion?

              I still want to buy a pre loaded  SD memory   card for the Pi so I can  have some SDR fun too.

              John

              Were did you found that (sat receiving with a dvbt stick?!? Could you give
              me the link to it?!?

              Here in dl the analog atv is slowly changed to digital tv (using sat
              receivers for decoding!) ... if that is also possible with the dvbt stick
              ... we could then use them for datv

              Dg9bfc

              sigi

            • John B. Cundiff Jr.
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
                Youtube Demos  show it has already been tried successfully.

                On 01/11/13, Rick Simpson<goatguy101@...> wrote:

                Thanks for the very useful description of the DVB-T operation. So we have one poster saying the Pi is not powerful enough to service the dongle and one who says it is.

                We know that the C# source code for SDR#  is open-source. Is there a C# compiler that runs on the Pi that could compile this source? Is there anyone that could resolve all the Linux dependancies and other stuff so that SDR# runs on the Pi? If so, does it work with the DVB-T? Any linux gurus out there willing to give it a try?

                Rick

> [...]

                There is (I am told) also software about, that allows such a dongle
                (either Realtec based, or the FCD) to be "remoted" via LAN, so you can
                control and listen to it from elsewhere. I do not know what it's called,
                or where from. Yet, but that interests me too as I heard (or is that
                misheard) that it runs on a Pi?)

                Best get onto one of the specific SDR forums as well as this, and enquire
                there, it's as much a general Linux quesiton, than Pi specific...

                BUT!!!....

                Remember, that you'll almost certainly need to build and link it from
                source of this type to run on the Pi (including handling all the needed
                dependancies etc) as it's not an x86 type CPU that the Pi has, plus there
                will be lots of configuration needed once the app's are built. (Based on
                comments on the FCD and SoftRock lists about this sort of thing a while

              • Rick Simpson
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013

                  No, I don't think so. youTube shows the Pi being used to take the signal from the dongle and distribute the signal to other PCs on a network for processing by those PCs. What I want is for all the processing to be done in the Pi, with no PC required.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
                    Hello All,
                    Posted that the RPi dose not pack the punch to run the GHPSDR3 DSP-server and RTL-server on board. I noted that one could run a RTL-server, and then run the dsp-server on another CPU but not both on a single RPi.

                    As seen in the post He is using the SDR sharp to do the bulk of the work. The RPi is only running the RTL-TCP-server, that's sending the samples off to SDR sharp for FFT. (http://www.hamradioscience.com/raspberry-pi-as-remote-server-for-rtl2832u-sdr/)

                    Im off on vacation for the next week, and don't have time befor then to rebuild the GHPSDR3-alex, as that i killed the SD card with the program onboard. It was EZ to build and didnt take 3hr to compile like ROS on the RPi. Its worth setting up a test conditions, were the (RPi runs just the RTL-server) Then another CPU runs an instance of the DSP_server. It likely to work! On the other hand the GHPSDR3-Alex DSP-server is written as a mono TCP-sample-stream DSP-server. The Project's softrock-server dose support multiple Softrock but that server is written to posses an audio stream. With the DSP-server and RLT-server amended to receive multiple TCP-streams, a QTradio client could have access to 4 RX streams. Multiple RPi with even 2 RTL dongles (Direction finding!) passing the data to a DSP-server.
                    http://openhpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=File:Ghpsdr3.png

                    Another example of the GHPSDR3 on a RPI (
                    http://g0orx.blogspot.com/2012/07/multiple-raspberry-pi-and-ghpsdr3.html

                    73
                    Mathison kj6DZB
                  • Matthew Pitts
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013

                      As has been repeatedly stated, it is not possible to do it all on the Raspberry Pi at the present time; for whatever reason, the current hardware configuration of the Raspberry Pi does not provide sufficient resources to do so. It would be a nice thing, but we need to be sensible about the reality of what is currently possible. Heck, I have (or should I say will have) 5 Raspberry Pi to work with, and I'm not sure it's worth it to ruin one trying to do this right now.

                      Matthew Pitts
                      N8OHU

                      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

> [...]

                      There is (I am told) also software about, that allows such a dongle
                      (either Realtec based, or the FCD) to be "remoted" via LAN, so you can
                      control and listen to it from elsewhere. I do not know what it's called,
                      or where from. Yet, but that interests me too as I heard (or is that
                      misheard) that it runs on a Pi?)

                      Best get onto one of the specific SDR forums as well as this, and enquire
                      there, it's as much a general Linux quesiton, than Pi specific...

                      BUT!!!....

                      Remember, that you'll almost certainly need to build and link it from
                      source of this type to run on the Pi (including handling all the needed
                      dependancies etc) as it's not an x86 type CPU that the Pi has, plus there
                      will be lots of configuration needed once the app's are built. (Based on
                      comments on the FCD and SoftRock lists about this sort of thing a while

                    • vbifyz
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 12, 2013
                        My impression is that the hardware (the GPU part) has plenty of horsepower to do the SDR. The present limitation is in the firmware, and it can not be currently bypassed by third party developers because of the lack of GPU documentation.

                        A better bet for SDR seems to be the Mk802 little box and other devices based on the Mali GPU core. It is a bit more open and there is some active development happening there.

                        73, Mike

                        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Pitts wrote:

                        > As has been repeatedly stated, it is not possible to do it all on the Raspberry Pi at the present time; for whatever reason, the current hardware configuration of the Raspberry Pi does not provide sufficient resources to do so. It would be a nice thing, but we need to be sensible about the reality of what is currently possible. Heck, I have (or should I say will have) 5 Raspberry Pi to work with, and I'm not sure it's worth it to ruin one trying to do this right now.
                        >
                        > Matthew Pitts
                        > N8OHU
                        >
                        > Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                      • siegfried jackstien
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 12, 2013
                          If you need processor power go for odroid x2

                          1.7 gig quad core

                          Dg9bfc

                          sigi

                        • Robert Nickels
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 12, 2013
                            On 1/12/2013 12:17 PM, vbifyz wrote:

                            > the Mk802

                            Hi Mike,

                            Or rather, the MK808 successor to the MK802, but yes - it's going to be
                            real interesting to see how these PC-on-a-stick things evolve. The
                            newest B model includes bluetooth, which is interesting from a radio
                            perspective.

                            Here's a bit of a comparison (not wholly objective) of the MK802 vs R-Pi
                            - http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4828154 (Reader discretion
                            advised, writer is not a big fan of all things Pi)

                            We've already seen the STM32 Discovery at under $10 and it's a pretty
                            sure bet that Linux on ARM has a future...I'll go way out on the limb
                            here and predict we'll see quite a few SDR-capable platforms at <$50
                            within the coming year.

                            73, Bob W9RAN