Re: SDR on Pi (Was Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Copy SD cards??)

  • Rick Simpson
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
      Thanks for the very useful description of the DVB-T operation. So we have one poster saying the Pi is not powerful enough to service the dongle and one who says it is.

      We know that the C# source code for SDR#  is open-source. Is there a C# compiler that runs on the Pi that could compile this source? Is there anyone that could resolve all the Linux dependancies and other stuff so that SDR# runs on the Pi? If so, does it work with the DVB-T? Any linux gurus out there willing to give it a try?

      Rick

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
        Sure there is a linux guru who made dvbt available on linux

        As far as I know that was the development direction were the rtl drivers for
        sdr were coming from

        Linux guys found out that these rtl sticks can be set to a raw iq data mode
        ... (while developing dvbt software for watching tv under linux) ... and
        then some clever guys used it to make a driver for these sticks to become a
        cheap sdr front-end

        Dg9bfc

        Sigi

      • siegfried jackstien
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
          Were did you found that (sat receiving with a dvbt stick?!? Could you give
          me the link to it?!?

          Here in dl the analog atv is slowly changed to digital tv (using sat
          receivers for decoding!) ... if that is also possible with the dvbt stick
          ... we could then use them for datv

          Dg9bfc

          sigi

        • Donald J. Tambeau
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013

            Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 12:24 PM

            Were did you found that (sat receiving with a dvbt stick?!? Could you give
            me the link to it?!?

            Here in dl the analog atv is slowly changed to digital tv (using sat
            receivers for decoding!) ... if that is also possible with the dvbt stick
            ... we could then use them for datv

            Dg9bfc

            sigi

            href="mailto:Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com] Im Auftrag von John B. Cundiff Jr
            > Gesendet: Freitag, 11. Januar 2013
            13:31
            > An:
            href="mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com

            Betreff: Re: SDR on Pi (Was Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Copy SD

            wrote:

            > > Re: Copy
            SD cards??
            > > Posted by: "Rick Simpson"
            href="mailto:goatguy101%40gmail.com">mailto:goatguy101%40gmail.com

            ricks_wv
            > > Date: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:14 am ((PST))
            > >
            > > I think what John is talking about as a "SDR dongle" is a
            DVB-T
            > stick
            > > that many people are now using as an
            inexpensive ($15) wide-band
            > SDR
            > > receiver that puts out the
            SDR I and Q signals on the USB

            href="http://sdrsharp.com/">http://sdrsharp.com/ Lots of links to other
            > related sites, that would be worth trawling too.

            Other people (not me, yet...) have I think sort of managed to get

            QTRadio
            > (or similar) working on the Pi in some way, but that is not for
            the
            > feint
            > hearted, or Linux inexperienced.

            There is (I am told) also software about, that allows such a dongle

            (either Realtec based, or the FCD) to be "remoted" via LAN, so you

            can
            > control and listen to it from elsewhere. I do not know what
            it's
            > called,
            > or where from. Yet, but that interests me too as I
            heard (or is that
            > misheard) that it runs on a Pi?)
            >
            > Best
            get onto one of the specific SDR forums as well as this, and

            enquire
            > there, it's as much a general Linux quesiton, than Pi
            specific...

            > BUT!!!....
            >
            > Remember, that you'll
            almost certainly need to build and link it
            > from
            > source of this
            type to run on the Pi (including handling all the
            > needed

            dependancies etc) as it's not an x86 type CPU that the Pi has, plus

            there
            > will be lots of configuration needed once the app's are
            built.
            > (Based on
            > comments on the FCD and SoftRock lists about
            this sort of thing a
            > while
            > back.)

            Regards.

            > Dave G0WBX.

          • Donald J. Tambeau
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013

              Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 12:24 PM

              wrote:

              > > Re: Copy
              SD cards??
              > > Posted by: "Rick Simpson"
              href="mailto:goatguy101%40gmail.com">mailto:goatguy101%40gmail.com

              ricks_wv
              > > Date: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:14 am ((PST))
              > >
              > > I think what John is talking about as a "SDR dongle" is a
              DVB-T
              > stick
              > > that many people are now using as an
              inexpensive ($15) wide-band
              > SDR
              > > receiver that puts out the
              SDR I and Q signals on the USB
> [...]
              heard (or is that
              > misheard) that it runs on a Pi?)
              >
              > Best
              get onto one of the specific SDR forums as well as this, and

              enquire
              > there, it's as much a general Linux quesiton, than Pi
              specific...

              > BUT!!!....
              >
              > Remember, that you'll
              almost certainly need to build and link it
              > from
              > source of this
              type to run on the Pi (including handling all the
              > needed

              dependancies etc) as it's not an x86 type CPU that the Pi has, plus

              there
              > will be lots of configuration needed once the app's are
              built.
              > (Based on
              > comments on the FCD and SoftRock lists about

              Regards.

              > Dave G0WBX.

            • John B. Cundiff Jr.
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
                You Tube " Cheap  Satellite  receiver"

                On 01/11/13, siegfried jackstien<siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

                Were did you found that (sat receiving with a dvbt stick?!? Could you give
                me the link to it?!?

                Here in dl the analog atv is slowly changed to digital tv (using sat
                receivers for decoding!) ... if that is also possible with the dvbt stick
                ... we could then use them for datv

                Dg9bfc

                sigi

              • Andy B
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
                  This may be what you were looking for:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuyHpx1tnWI

                   Been reading all the posts & many people have already said what
                  I've been contemplating. IE: The Pi has not enough power to handle
                  this well. Mainly the lack of a video driver for the Mali 400 GPU.

                  Which by the way is used in most of the other brands of S.B.C.'s.
                   For example the Hackberry A10,Cubieboard,Odroid-U2,A13-Olinoxino,
                  Gooseberry, these are just a few.  If running Android the GPU is
                  supported. Problem being,the driver source has not been released to
                  the Linux community!

                  If one is going to run this sdr program in Pi,you will have to:
                  Compile it from the source,& compile it for the Arm ver-6.
                  I'm sure it's working well on full blown Linux boxes anyhow..

                  Later,Andy (AC2HE)

                  Were did you found that (sat receiving with a dvbt stick?!? Could you give
                  me the link to it?!?

                  Here in dl the analog atv is slowly changed to digital tv (using sat
                  receivers for decoding!) ... if that is also possible with the dvbt stick
                  ... we could then use them for datv

                  Dg9bfc

                  sigi

                • mathisono
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
                    I posted this last week.

                    Be careful over clocking your RPi with over_volt set to 6 even with the new
                    firmware! Ive now killed 2 cards. Ive taken out 2 sd cards.

                    I was attempting to increase the performance on a RPi that was running a DVB
                    dongle sdr server. The software: hardware_server and DSP_server from the GHPSDR3
                    project. The conclusion I came to before I lost the card was, the RPi is under
                    powered for running the hardware_server and DSP_server at the same time, even in
                    turbo mode.

                    I will stick to multi_core computers for my SDR servers. They just pack the
                    punch.
                    I realy have no use for a single DVB dongle & RPi. Specialized hardware like the
                    Hiqsdr ( http://hiqsdr.com/hiqsdr-wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page ) Next is to
                    launch 3 DVB's on one dsp_server. The project need help with the code.

                    http://napan.ca/ghpsdr3/index.php/Main_Page

                    groups.google.com/group/sdr-widget

                    73 kj6dzb Mathison
                  • John B. Cundiff Jr.
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013

                      http://www.hamradioscience.com/raspberry-pi-as-remote-server-for-rtl2832u-sdr/

                      Maybe this article will clear up some of the confusion?

                      I still want to buy a pre loaded  SD memory   card for the Pi so I can  have some SDR fun too.

                      John

                      Were did you found that (sat receiving with a dvbt stick?!? Could you give
                      me the link to it?!?

                      Here in dl the analog atv is slowly changed to digital tv (using sat
                      receivers for decoding!) ... if that is also possible with the dvbt stick
                      ... we could then use them for datv

                      Dg9bfc

                      sigi

                    • John B. Cundiff Jr.
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
                        Youtube Demos  show it has already been tried successfully.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013

                          No, I don't think so. youTube shows the Pi being used to take the signal from the dongle and distribute the signal to other PCs on a network for processing by those PCs. What I want is for all the processing to be done in the Pi, with no PC required.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
                            Hello All,
                            Posted that the RPi dose not pack the punch to run the GHPSDR3 DSP-server and RTL-server on board. I noted that one could run a RTL-server, and then run the dsp-server on another CPU but not both on a single RPi.

                            As seen in the post He is using the SDR sharp to do the bulk of the work. The RPi is only running the RTL-TCP-server, that's sending the samples off to SDR sharp for FFT. (http://www.hamradioscience.com/raspberry-pi-as-remote-server-for-rtl2832u-sdr/)

                            Im off on vacation for the next week, and don't have time befor then to rebuild the GHPSDR3-alex, as that i killed the SD card with the program onboard. It was EZ to build and didnt take 3hr to compile like ROS on the RPi. Its worth setting up a test conditions, were the (RPi runs just the RTL-server) Then another CPU runs an instance of the DSP_server. It likely to work! On the other hand the GHPSDR3-Alex DSP-server is written as a mono TCP-sample-stream DSP-server. The Project's softrock-server dose support multiple Softrock but that server is written to posses an audio stream. With the DSP-server and RLT-server amended to receive multiple TCP-streams, a QTradio client could have access to 4 RX streams. Multiple RPi with even 2 RTL dongles (Direction finding!) passing the data to a DSP-server.
                            http://openhpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=File:Ghpsdr3.png

                            Another example of the GHPSDR3 on a RPI (
                            http://g0orx.blogspot.com/2012/07/multiple-raspberry-pi-and-ghpsdr3.html

                            73
                            Mathison kj6DZB
                          • Matthew Pitts
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013

                              As has been repeatedly stated, it is not possible to do it all on the Raspberry Pi at the present time; for whatever reason, the current hardware configuration of the Raspberry Pi does not provide sufficient resources to do so. It would be a nice thing, but we need to be sensible about the reality of what is currently possible. Heck, I have (or should I say will have) 5 Raspberry Pi to work with, and I'm not sure it's worth it to ruin one trying to do this right now.

                              Matthew Pitts
                              N8OHU

                              Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

> [...]

                              There is (I am told) also software about, that allows such a dongle
                              (either Realtec based, or the FCD) to be "remoted" via LAN, so you can
                              control and listen to it from elsewhere. I do not know what it's called,
                              or where from. Yet, but that interests me too as I heard (or is that
                              misheard) that it runs on a Pi?)

                              Best get onto one of the specific SDR forums as well as this, and enquire
                              there, it's as much a general Linux quesiton, than Pi specific...

                              BUT!!!....

                              Remember, that you'll almost certainly need to build and link it from
                              source of this type to run on the Pi (including handling all the needed
                              dependancies etc) as it's not an x86 type CPU that the Pi has, plus there
                              will be lots of configuration needed once the app's are built. (Based on
                              comments on the FCD and SoftRock lists about this sort of thing a while

                            • vbifyz
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 12, 2013
                                My impression is that the hardware (the GPU part) has plenty of horsepower to do the SDR. The present limitation is in the firmware, and it can not be currently bypassed by third party developers because of the lack of GPU documentation.

                                A better bet for SDR seems to be the Mk802 little box and other devices based on the Mali GPU core. It is a bit more open and there is some active development happening there.

                                73, Mike

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 12, 2013
                                  If you need processor power go for odroid x2

                                  1.7 gig quad core

                                  Dg9bfc

                                  sigi

                                • Robert Nickels
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 12, 2013
                                    On 1/12/2013 12:17 PM, vbifyz wrote:

                                    > the Mk802

                                    Hi Mike,

                                    Or rather, the MK808 successor to the MK802, but yes - it's going to be
                                    real interesting to see how these PC-on-a-stick things evolve. The
                                    newest B model includes bluetooth, which is interesting from a radio
                                    perspective.

                                    Here's a bit of a comparison (not wholly objective) of the MK802 vs R-Pi
                                    - http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4828154 (Reader discretion
                                    advised, writer is not a big fan of all things Pi)

                                    We've already seen the STM32 Discovery at under $10 and it's a pretty
                                    sure bet that Linux on ARM has a future...I'll go way out on the limb
                                    here and predict we'll see quite a few SDR-capable platforms at <$50
                                    within the coming year.

                                    73, Bob W9RAN