SDR on Pi (Was Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Copy SD cards??)

  • Dave B
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
      On 11 Jan 2013 at 11:40, Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Re: Copy SD cards??
      > Posted by: "Rick Simpson" goatguy101@... ricks_wv
      > Date: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:14 am ((PST))
      >
      > I think what John is talking about as a "SDR dongle" is a DVB-T stick
      > that many people are now using as an inexpensive ($15) wide-band SDR
      > receiver that puts out the SDR I and Q signals on the USB connector.
      > They connect the I and Q signals to a PC sound card and use
      > conventional SDR software on the PC to process and display the
      > signals. I doubt that a Pi has sufficient processing power to emulate
      > the capabilities of a sound card and also run the SDR software
      > necessary to complete the processing and run the display and controls.
      > If such a program could be written for the Pi there would be a huge
      > demand for the SD card with Linux and the SDR program all properly
      > configured for use with the dongle.
      >
      > Rick
      > K3IND

      It does have the power, and the "soundcard" is within the Dongle itself,
      it's just software that is needed.

      The dongle in essance, is a simple soundcard, 8bit in the case of the RTL
      devices, 16bit for the FCD's, and an RF downconverter frontend that has
      some simple controls of levels and local oscilator settings.

      That in turn presents the simple soundcard with two signals, in
      Quadrature (or 90' out of phase.) The rest of the magic happens in
      software.

      (One signal in the antenn jack, two local oscilators at the same
      frequency, but in quad', two mixers, resulting in two low frequency "IF"
      signals, also in Quadrature, that goes into the soundcard chip.)

      On Windows (just for comparison) the easiest program to get working is
      SDR# (SDR Sharp) but that's 100 Windows specific. It is very good
      indeed. (It's programmed in C# and might be open source, at least the
      sources are available.) http://sdrsharp.com/ Lots of links to other
      related sites, that would be worth trawling too.

      Other people (not me, yet...) have I think sort of managed to get QTRadio
      (or similar) working on the Pi in some way, but that is not for the feint
      hearted, or Linux inexperienced.

      There is (I am told) also software about, that allows such a dongle
      (either Realtec based, or the FCD) to be "remoted" via LAN, so you can
      control and listen to it from elsewhere. I do not know what it's called,
      or where from. Yet, but that interests me too as I heard (or is that
      misheard) that it runs on a Pi?)

      Best get onto one of the specific SDR forums as well as this, and enquire
      there, it's as much a general Linux quesiton, than Pi specific...

      BUT!!!....

      Remember, that you'll almost certainly need to build and link it from
      source of this type to run on the Pi (including handling all the needed
      dependancies etc) as it's not an x86 type CPU that the Pi has, plus there
      will be lots of configuration needed once the app's are built. (Based on
      comments on the FCD and SoftRock lists about this sort of thing a while
      back.)

      Regards.

      Dave G0WBX.
    • John B. Cundiff Jr
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
        The programs  have been written and are working...they are being demonstrated on Youtube  every day .
        I want one ...who will sell me a SD card   loaded with the  softwae I need to make it all work?

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
          There is a Raspberry Pi and  Realtec dongle  receiver used as a Satellite  receiver with a  small dish network TV  type dish  demonstrated on Youtube.

          On Jan 11, 2013, at 7:42 AM, Dave B wrote: networkl

        • Rick Simpson
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
            Thanks for the very useful description of the DVB-T operation. So we have one poster saying the Pi is not powerful enough to service the dongle and one who says it is.

            We know that the C# source code for SDR#  is open-source. Is there a C# compiler that runs on the Pi that could compile this source? Is there anyone that could resolve all the Linux dependancies and other stuff so that SDR# runs on the Pi? If so, does it work with the DVB-T? Any linux gurus out there willing to give it a try?

            Rick

> [...]

            There is (I am told) also software about, that allows such a dongle
            (either Realtec based, or the FCD) to be "remoted" via LAN, so you can
            control and listen to it from elsewhere. I do not know what it's called,
            or where from. Yet, but that interests me too as I heard (or is that
            misheard) that it runs on a Pi?)

            Best get onto one of the specific SDR forums as well as this, and enquire
            there, it's as much a general Linux quesiton, than Pi specific...

            BUT!!!....

            Remember, that you'll almost certainly need to build and link it from
            source of this type to run on the Pi (including handling all the needed
            dependancies etc) as it's not an x86 type CPU that the Pi has, plus there
            will be lots of configuration needed once the app's are built. (Based on
            comments on the FCD and SoftRock lists about this sort of thing a while

          • siegfried jackstien
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
              Sure there is a linux guru who made dvbt available on linux

              As far as I know that was the development direction were the rtl drivers for
              sdr were coming from

              Linux guys found out that these rtl sticks can be set to a raw iq data mode
              ... (while developing dvbt software for watching tv under linux) ... and
              then some clever guys used it to make a driver for these sticks to become a
              cheap sdr front-end

              Dg9bfc

              Sigi

            • siegfried jackstien
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
                Were did you found that (sat receiving with a dvbt stick?!? Could you give
                me the link to it?!?

                Here in dl the analog atv is slowly changed to digital tv (using sat
                receivers for decoding!) ... if that is also possible with the dvbt stick
                ... we could then use them for datv

                Dg9bfc

                sigi

              • Donald J. Tambeau
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013

                  Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 12:24 PM

                  Were did you found that (sat receiving with a dvbt stick?!? Could you give
                  me the link to it?!?

                  Here in dl the analog atv is slowly changed to digital tv (using sat
                  receivers for decoding!) ... if that is also possible with the dvbt stick
                  ... we could then use them for datv

                  Dg9bfc

                  sigi

                  href="mailto:Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com] Im Auftrag von John B. Cundiff Jr
                  > Gesendet: Freitag, 11. Januar 2013
                  13:31
                  > An:
                  href="mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com

                  Betreff: Re: SDR on Pi (Was Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Copy SD

                  cards??)

                  wrote:

                  > > Re: Copy
                  SD cards??
                  > > Posted by: "Rick Simpson"
                  href="mailto:goatguy101%40gmail.com">mailto:goatguy101%40gmail.com

                  ricks_wv
                  > > Date: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:14 am ((PST))
                  > >
                  > > I think what John is talking about as a "SDR dongle" is a
                  DVB-T
                  > stick
                  > > that many people are now using as an
                  inexpensive ($15) wide-band
                  > SDR
                  > > receiver that puts out the
                  SDR I and Q signals on the USB

                  href="http://sdrsharp.com/">http://sdrsharp.com/ Lots of links to other
                  > related sites, that would be worth trawling too.

                  Other people (not me, yet...) have I think sort of managed to get

                  QTRadio
                  > (or similar) working on the Pi in some way, but that is not for
                  the
                  > feint
                  > hearted, or Linux inexperienced.

                  There is (I am told) also software about, that allows such a dongle

                  (either Realtec based, or the FCD) to be "remoted" via LAN, so you

                  can
                  > control and listen to it from elsewhere. I do not know what
                  it's
                  > called,
                  > or where from. Yet, but that interests me too as I
                  heard (or is that
                  > misheard) that it runs on a Pi?)
                  >
                  > Best
                  get onto one of the specific SDR forums as well as this, and

                  enquire
                  > there, it's as much a general Linux quesiton, than Pi
                  specific...

                  > BUT!!!....
                  >
                  > Remember, that you'll
                  almost certainly need to build and link it
                  > from
                  > source of this
                  type to run on the Pi (including handling all the
                  > needed

                  dependancies etc) as it's not an x86 type CPU that the Pi has, plus

                  there
                  > will be lots of configuration needed once the app's are
                  built.
                  > (Based on
                  > comments on the FCD and SoftRock lists about
                  this sort of thing a
                  > while
                  > back.)

                  Regards.

                  > Dave G0WBX.

                • Donald J. Tambeau
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013

                    Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 12:24 PM

                    wrote:

                    > > Re: Copy
                    SD cards??
                    > > Posted by: "Rick Simpson"
                    href="mailto:goatguy101%40gmail.com">mailto:goatguy101%40gmail.com

                    ricks_wv
                    > > Date: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:14 am ((PST))
                    > >
                    > > I think what John is talking about as a "SDR dongle" is a
                    DVB-T
                    > stick
                    > > that many people are now using as an
                    inexpensive ($15) wide-band
                    > SDR
                    > > receiver that puts out the
                    SDR I and Q signals on the USB
> [...]
                    heard (or is that
                    > misheard) that it runs on a Pi?)
                    >
                    > Best
                    get onto one of the specific SDR forums as well as this, and

                    enquire
                    > there, it's as much a general Linux quesiton, than Pi
                    specific...

                    > BUT!!!....
                    >
                    > Remember, that you'll
                    almost certainly need to build and link it
                    > from
                    > source of this
                    type to run on the Pi (including handling all the
                    > needed

                    dependancies etc) as it's not an x86 type CPU that the Pi has, plus

                    there
                    > will be lots of configuration needed once the app's are
                    built.
                    > (Based on
                    > comments on the FCD and SoftRock lists about

                    Regards.

                    > Dave G0WBX.

                  • John B. Cundiff Jr.
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
                      You Tube " Cheap  Satellite  receiver"

                      On 01/11/13, siegfried jackstien<siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

                      Were did you found that (sat receiving with a dvbt stick?!? Could you give
                      me the link to it?!?

                      Here in dl the analog atv is slowly changed to digital tv (using sat
                      receivers for decoding!) ... if that is also possible with the dvbt stick
                      ... we could then use them for datv

                      Dg9bfc

                      sigi

                    • Andy B
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
                        This may be what you were looking for:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuyHpx1tnWI

                         Been reading all the posts & many people have already said what
                        I've been contemplating. IE: The Pi has not enough power to handle
                        this well. Mainly the lack of a video driver for the Mali 400 GPU.

                        Which by the way is used in most of the other brands of S.B.C.'s.
                         For example the Hackberry A10,Cubieboard,Odroid-U2,A13-Olinoxino,
                        Gooseberry, these are just a few.  If running Android the GPU is
                        supported. Problem being,the driver source has not been released to
                        the Linux community!

                        If one is going to run this sdr program in Pi,you will have to:
                        Compile it from the source,& compile it for the Arm ver-6.
                        I'm sure it's working well on full blown Linux boxes anyhow..

                        Later,Andy (AC2HE)

                        Were did you found that (sat receiving with a dvbt stick?!? Could you give
                        me the link to it?!?

                        Here in dl the analog atv is slowly changed to digital tv (using sat
                        receivers for decoding!) ... if that is also possible with the dvbt stick
                        ... we could then use them for datv

                        Dg9bfc

                        sigi

                      • mathisono
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
                          I posted this last week.

                          Be careful over clocking your RPi with over_volt set to 6 even with the new
                          firmware! Ive now killed 2 cards. Ive taken out 2 sd cards.

                          I was attempting to increase the performance on a RPi that was running a DVB
                          dongle sdr server. The software: hardware_server and DSP_server from the GHPSDR3
                          project. The conclusion I came to before I lost the card was, the RPi is under
                          powered for running the hardware_server and DSP_server at the same time, even in
                          turbo mode.

                          I will stick to multi_core computers for my SDR servers. They just pack the
                          punch.
                          I realy have no use for a single DVB dongle & RPi. Specialized hardware like the
                          Hiqsdr ( http://hiqsdr.com/hiqsdr-wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page ) Next is to
                          launch 3 DVB's on one dsp_server. The project need help with the code.

                          http://napan.ca/ghpsdr3/index.php/Main_Page

                          groups.google.com/group/sdr-widget

                          73 kj6dzb Mathison
                        • John B. Cundiff Jr.
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013

                            http://www.hamradioscience.com/raspberry-pi-as-remote-server-for-rtl2832u-sdr/

                            Maybe this article will clear up some of the confusion?

                            I still want to buy a pre loaded  SD memory   card for the Pi so I can  have some SDR fun too.

                            John

                            Were did you found that (sat receiving with a dvbt stick?!? Could you give
                            me the link to it?!?

                            Here in dl the analog atv is slowly changed to digital tv (using sat
                            receivers for decoding!) ... if that is also possible with the dvbt stick
                            ... we could then use them for datv

                            Dg9bfc

                            sigi

                          • John B. Cundiff Jr.
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
                              Youtube Demos  show it has already been tried successfully.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013

                                No, I don't think so. youTube shows the Pi being used to take the signal from the dongle and distribute the signal to other PCs on a network for processing by those PCs. What I want is for all the processing to be done in the Pi, with no PC required.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
                                  Hello All,
                                  Posted that the RPi dose not pack the punch to run the GHPSDR3 DSP-server and RTL-server on board. I noted that one could run a RTL-server, and then run the dsp-server on another CPU but not both on a single RPi.

                                  As seen in the post He is using the SDR sharp to do the bulk of the work. The RPi is only running the RTL-TCP-server, that's sending the samples off to SDR sharp for FFT. (http://www.hamradioscience.com/raspberry-pi-as-remote-server-for-rtl2832u-sdr/)

                                  Im off on vacation for the next week, and don't have time befor then to rebuild the GHPSDR3-alex, as that i killed the SD card with the program onboard. It was EZ to build and didnt take 3hr to compile like ROS on the RPi. Its worth setting up a test conditions, were the (RPi runs just the RTL-server) Then another CPU runs an instance of the DSP_server. It likely to work! On the other hand the GHPSDR3-Alex DSP-server is written as a mono TCP-sample-stream DSP-server. The Project's softrock-server dose support multiple Softrock but that server is written to posses an audio stream. With the DSP-server and RLT-server amended to receive multiple TCP-streams, a QTradio client could have access to 4 RX streams. Multiple RPi with even 2 RTL dongles (Direction finding!) passing the data to a DSP-server.
                                  http://openhpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=File:Ghpsdr3.png

                                  Another example of the GHPSDR3 on a RPI (
                                  http://g0orx.blogspot.com/2012/07/multiple-raspberry-pi-and-ghpsdr3.html

                                  73
                                  Mathison kj6DZB
                                • Matthew Pitts
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013

                                    As has been repeatedly stated, it is not possible to do it all on the Raspberry Pi at the present time; for whatever reason, the current hardware configuration of the Raspberry Pi does not provide sufficient resources to do so. It would be a nice thing, but we need to be sensible about the reality of what is currently possible. Heck, I have (or should I say will have) 5 Raspberry Pi to work with, and I'm not sure it's worth it to ruin one trying to do this right now.

                                    Matthew Pitts
                                    N8OHU

                                    Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

> [...]

                                    There is (I am told) also software about, that allows such a dongle
                                    (either Realtec based, or the FCD) to be "remoted" via LAN, so you can
                                    control and listen to it from elsewhere. I do not know what it's called,
                                    or where from. Yet, but that interests me too as I heard (or is that
                                    misheard) that it runs on a Pi?)

                                    Best get onto one of the specific SDR forums as well as this, and enquire
                                    there, it's as much a general Linux quesiton, than Pi specific...

                                    BUT!!!....

                                    Remember, that you'll almost certainly need to build and link it from
                                    source of this type to run on the Pi (including handling all the needed
                                    dependancies etc) as it's not an x86 type CPU that the Pi has, plus there
                                    will be lots of configuration needed once the app's are built. (Based on
                                    comments on the FCD and SoftRock lists about this sort of thing a while

                                  • vbifyz
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 12, 2013
                                      My impression is that the hardware (the GPU part) has plenty of horsepower to do the SDR. The present limitation is in the firmware, and it can not be currently bypassed by third party developers because of the lack of GPU documentation.

                                      A better bet for SDR seems to be the Mk802 little box and other devices based on the Mali GPU core. It is a bit more open and there is some active development happening there.

                                      73, Mike

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 12, 2013
                                        If you need processor power go for odroid x2

                                        1.7 gig quad core

                                        Dg9bfc

                                        sigi

                                      • Robert Nickels
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 12, 2013
                                          On 1/12/2013 12:17 PM, vbifyz wrote:

                                          > the Mk802

                                          Hi Mike,

                                          Or rather, the MK808 successor to the MK802, but yes - it's going to be
                                          real interesting to see how these PC-on-a-stick things evolve. The
                                          newest B model includes bluetooth, which is interesting from a radio
                                          perspective.

                                          Here's a bit of a comparison (not wholly objective) of the MK802 vs R-Pi
                                          - http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4828154 (Reader discretion
                                          advised, writer is not a big fan of all things Pi)

                                          We've already seen the STM32 Discovery at under $10 and it's a pretty
                                          sure bet that Linux on ARM has a future...I'll go way out on the limb
                                          here and predict we'll see quite a few SDR-capable platforms at <$50
                                          within the coming year.

                                          73, Bob W9RAN