Re: Copy SD cards??

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 10, 2013
      John:

      Here's a link to MCM that has 4 gig sd cards with the Raspian Wheezy
      image on them. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-14268

      Don't believe you can boot from a dongle,maybe some one else knows for sure. You boot from the SD slot built into the Pi.

      This place has lots of accessories for the Pi. I have no connection to them other than buying from them a few times.

      Later Andy (AC2HE)

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John B. Cundiff Jr" wrote:

      > I wood like to buy a SD card pre loaded with Linux OS and SDR
      > programs I can use with a Realtec Dongle .
      > that I can use with the Raspberry Pi computer.
      > I have been unable to make my own SD cards that will work.
      >
      > jbcundiffjr@...
      >

      > On Jan 9, 2013, at 7:48 PM, William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
      >

      > > Awesome!! Thank you for the lesson!
      > >

      > > Will WC2L

    • John B. Cundiff Jr
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 10, 2013

        Do not want to boot from a Dongle ,,the Software Defined Radio is in the Dongle  that plugs into the USB port.
        The SD card   I will boot from  and it  needs to also  contain the Software Defined Radio  software for trhe  Realtec  Doongle   and the Linux operating system.
        I want some body who knows how to  sell me a preloaded SD memory card  with both the  OS and  SDR software on it .
        So all I got to do is  plug and play .

        john KA3WSR   jbcundiffjr@...

      • John B. Cundiff Jr.
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 10, 2013

          i have a  SD card with the   Linux OS  needed for  the Pi...but I do not know how to  load the  Software defined radio software onto the SD card

          so I can use the SDR   Dongle I bought that has the  Radio receiver circuits in it .

        • Alan Melia
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 10, 2013
            Farnell ( & CPC) sell programmed SD cards in UK (Premier in US??) these are
            4G but if you are going to use this you need to be able to update the OS
            regularly things are changing all the time. The preprogrammed cards my not
            be the latest Rasbian though you may be able to update on line once working.
            Alan
            G3NYK

            wrote:

            > I wood like to buy a SD card pre loaded with Linux OS and SDR
            > programs I can use with a Realtec Dongle .
            > that I can use with the Raspberry Pi computer.
            > I have been unable to make my own SD cards that will work.
            >
            > jbcundiffjr@...
            >

            > On Jan 9, 2013, at 7:48 PM, William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
            >

            > > Awesome!! Thank you for the lesson!
            > >

            > > Will WC2L

          • Rick Simpson
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 10, 2013
              I think what John is talking about as a "SDR dongle" is a DVB-T stick that many people are now using as an inexpensive ($15) wide-band SDR receiver that puts out the SDR I and Q signals on the USB connector. They connect the I and Q signals to a PC sound card and use conventional SDR software on the PC to process and display the signals. I doubt that a Pi has sufficient processing power to emulate the capabilities of a sound card and also run the SDR software necessary to complete the processing and run the display and controls. If such a program could be written for the Pi there would be a huge demand for the SD card with Linux and the SDR program all properly configured for use with the dongle.

              Rick
              K3IND

              From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
              href="mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com">Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
              > > ] On Behalf Of Jeff FrancisT
              > > Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2013
              7:19 PM
              > > To:
              href="mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com">Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
              > > Subject: Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Copy SD cards??
              > >

              > > While dd
              works great, take a minute and install dd_rescue (if
              > > you're on a
              Debian-derived linux, do "sudo apt-get install
              > > dd_rescue").
              dd_rescue gives you progress updates and time
              > > estimates.
              Functionally, it's the same, it just gives more feedback.

              > > To copy an image off of an SD card, you'll need
              to know which
              > > device it is and what you'd like to name the image
              file on your hard
              > > drive. Assume that the SD card is /dev/sdb and
              you want to name the
              > > image file on your hard drive foo.dd. Run the
              following command:

              > > sudo
              dd_rescue /dev/sdb foo.dd

              > > or
              if you prefer dd:

              > > sudo dd
              if=/dev/sdb of=foo.dd bs=4k

              After a wait, you'll have an image of your SD card on your hard

              drive called foo.dd. That file is typically very compressable. Use

              bzip2 -9 for maximum compression.

              > > To write an image onto an SD card, it's very similar. Again,

              assume sdb and foo.dd:

              > > sudo
              dd_rescue foo.dd /dev/sdb

              > > or

              sudo dd if=foo.dd of=/dev/sdb bs=4k

              > > Note that you shouldn't guess what disk device the card is.
              If
              > > you guess wrong (ie, /dev/sda), you'll write the image onto
              your
              > > hard drive rather than your SD card. Errors are
              dangerous!

              > > If you have two
              SD card readers in your machine (say sdb and sdc),
              > > you can copy
              directly from one card to the other:

              > > sudo dd_rescue /dev/sdb /dev/sdc

              or

              > > sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc bs=4k
              > >

              > > This doesn't work for moving data
              between cards of different
              > > sizes. If you dd a 4gig image onto an
              8gig, you won't hurt
              > > anything, other than you'll only use half of
              the space on the 8gig
              > > card unless/until you expand the filesystem.
              No harm done. On the
              > > other hand, if you try to dd an 8gig image
              onto a 4gig card, you can
              > > cause yourself endless grief. First of
              all, there's no guarantee
              > > that even if there's less than 4gig of
              data on the 8gig image that
              > > the data is at the "bottom" of the
              filesystem. Your system will
              > > also see an 8gig partition on a 4gig
              device, causing all sorts of
              > > headaches. The solution here is to
              mount the source device (for
              > > example, on /media/deadbeef) then
              partition, format, and mount the
              > > destination device ("sudo fdisk
              /dev/sd?", "sudo mkfs.ext? /dev/
              > > sd?", then "sudo mount /dev/sd??
              /mnt"). Then you can copy the
              > > contents with something like rsync
              ("sudo rsync -av --delete /media/
              > > deadbeef/ /mnt/"). Again, don't
              just guess the values where the "?"
              > > are, you're guaranteed to hork
              things permanently). Using rsync
              > > will work so long as the data from
              the larger card will fit in the
              > > available space on the smaller
              card. If you don't have rsync on
              > > your system, you can do it the way
              we did it in the old days:

              cd /media/deadbeef/; find . -depth -print | sudo cpio -pdmuv /mnt/

              > > But that's pretty old-school. :D
              Doing a recursive copy with cp
              > > may or may not preserve ownership
              and permissions, depending on the
              > > flags you provide. And it won't
              copy special files (ie, files in /
              > > dev/, /proc/, etc).
              > >

              > > On Wed,
              Jan 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM, John wrote:

              > > If you are running Linux use dd:
              > > man dd for
              help.

              href="https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download">https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

              > > > You can use "gparted" in
              another linux box to resize up & down.

              However I've noticed so far that even if you shrink the partition

              > > > can't get smaller image.   The Winimage makes image of
              the
              > > entire
              > > > drive. IE: if it's an 8 gig that's
              what we get. Will be pursuing

              ________________________________

              Subject: Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Copy SD cards??

              Will

              > > > If you have
              a reader writer you can copy the image and rewrite it
              > > onto another
              card/ If your using Windows you will have to use the
              > > imager
              reference in the RPI beginners guide/ I dont recalll the name
              > > of
              the utility.

              > > > Rick

              [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Copy SD cards??

              > > > Is there an easy way to
              copy SD cards?? Do you create an image or
              > > can copy the files from
              one to another??

              > > > TNX Will WC2L
              > > >

              > > --
              > > -=jeff=-

            • John B. Cundiff Jr
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                I already have one of these SD cards  with the Linux OS on it ...and it workls fine.  I can cruise the internet wit it
                  BUT . it does not have the software I need to operate the Realtec Dongle receiver .
                So I can not  run Software Defined Radio programs  I do not know how to load onto the SD card..

                wrote:

                > I wood like to buy a SD card pre loaded with Linux OS and SDR
                > programs I can use with a Realtec Dongle .
                > that I can use with the Raspberry Pi computer.
                > I have been unable to make my own SD cards that will work.
                >
                > jbcundiffjr@...
                >

                > On Jan 9, 2013, at 7:48 PM, William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
                >

                > > Awesome!! Thank you for the lesson!
                > >

                > > Will WC2L

              • John B. Cundiff Jr
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                  This is exactly what I am talking about .
                  Can some one load a SD card with the  OS and Software  I need to do this ?

                  Then sell it to me ?
                   I have tried  but do not understand  Linux  well enough to do it .
                  I bought a preloaded  SD card with the Linux OS on it but do not  know how to add the SDR software I also need .
                  I have a USV  3.5 inch floppy drive and I have several  USB memory sticks.
                  Could the SDR software be  loaded onto  either of them and  then run ?

                  John

                  wrote:

                  > I wood like to buy a SD card pre loaded with Linux OS and SDR
                  > programs I can use with a Realtec Dongle .
                  > that I can use with the Raspberry Pi computer.
                  > I have been unable to make my own SD cards that will work.
                  >
                  > jbcundiffjr@...
                  >

                  > On Jan 9, 2013, at 7:48 PM, William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
                  >

                  > > Awesome!! Thank you for the lesson!
                  > >

                  > > Will WC2L

                • John B. Cundiff Jr.
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                    Such programs have been written  to run on the Pi and are available  free on the internet .
                    QST  January  edition shows how to do it on a PC.

                    I just do not know how to load them on a  SD card  that I will plug int the Pi.
                    ...I  see  many  articles describing  how  many others  have already done this ..
                    .I am not asking anyone to write anything or  create anything that does not
                    already exit.   These programs are feee for the Downloading .

                    I  do not know how to  download it off the internet and install in on the SD card
                    with the  Linux OS  that it will run on.
                    If some one could do this for me  and then sell it to me I wood be glad to pay them for their trouble.
                    John

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                      Hi John

                      Do you know which SDR program you need to support your SDR device?

                      Which Linux operating system is on your SDcard? (There is at least 5
                      different ones that I know of)

                      How do you access your Pi, do you have a monitor,mouse,keyboard
                      attached, or do you use SSH or VNC to access it?

                      If a version of the SDR software is available for the Pi/linux then this
                      should not be all that hard to do, we might even be able to do it remotely.

                      -Jim-
                      Visit my Pi running ircddb, dvrptr, Apache2 web-server & other things:
                      http://n1jmm.no-ip.org
                      http://n1jmm.no-ip.org/index.php

                      On 1/11/13 3:02 AM, John B. Cundiff Jr wrote:

                      > I already have one of these SD cards with the Linux OS on it ...and it
                      > workls fine. I can cruise the internet wit it
                      > BUT . it does not have the software I need to operate the Realtec
                      > Dongle receiver .
                      > So I can not run Software Defined Radio programs I do not know how to
                      > load onto the SD card..
                      >
                      > On Jan 10, 2013, at 8:14 PM, Alan Melia wrote:
                      >
                      >> Farnell ( & CPC) sell programmed SD cards in UK (Premier in US??)
                      >> these are
                      >> 4G but if you are going to use this you need to be able to update the OS
                      >> regularly things are changing all the time. The preprogrammed cards my
                      >> not
                      >> be the latest Rasbian though you may be able to update on line once
                      >> working.
                      >> Alan
                      >> G3NYK

                    • Robert Nickels
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                        On 1/11/2013 8:46 AM, Jim Thisdale wrote:
                        > If a version of the SDR software is available for the Pi/linux then this
                        > should not be all that hard to do, we might even be able to do it remotely.
                        Hi Guys,

                        Not to toss a wet blanket on what I too would love to see happen, but
                        the Pi CPU just doesn't have the processing power to run the DSP code
                        that's needed for a full SDR application. I'm no DSP guru, but this
                        comes straight from guys who are. Now you might wonder why this is the
                        case since the Pi is capable of playing beautiful HD quality video?
                        The answer is, video utilizes the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) on the
                        Pi, which is restricted for other uses by terms of the license agreement
                        to help keep the price low. I'm hoping that this will change someday,
                        and SDR developers will invest the time and energy needed to utilize the
                        GPU for SDR purposes.

                        Meanwhile if you search the archives of this list you'll find my posts
                        about using the Pi as a "Dongle Server" for a $15 DVB-T stick. I'm
                        sitting here listening to MIDCARS on 40 meters by running SDR# software
                        on this XP PC which is getting a stream of I/Q samples from my Raspberry
                        Pi "dongle server" at the other end of the house.

                        This application, which only requires the Pi to receive samples from the
                        dongle and re-transmit them at a rate of 1.024 million samples per
                        secont via ethernet, takes 30% of the Pi CPU. I control it remotely
                        via ssh and putty.

                        73, Bob W9RAN
                      • John B. Cundiff Jr.
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                          Gentle men

                          I love this idea ...now who can load a SD card with the software I need .
                          I have a Paspberry Pi and a Hackberry pi with the WiFi built in to the card.

                          I can hang the Hackberry Pi up in the trees outside ..Solar power it with
                          rechargeable batteries.
                          ..right at the antenna and connect threw my WiFi network in my house.
                          Remotely control it ...
                          No sound card no video necessary...is every body happy now...can we do this?
                          who will load a SD card with the Linux OS and the SDR software and server
                          etc....and sell it to me ?

                          John

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                            I have a DVB-T Dongle that contains a Realtek 2832 quadrature decoder
                            chip and a Elonics E4000
                            Simular Dongles are FUNcube Dongle,SDR-4,LazyDog's LD-1,SDR-IQ, SDR-14
                            RTL2832U / RTLSDR

                            SDR.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/RTL-SDR

                            sdsrsharp.com

                            sdrsharp.com/index.php/downloads

                            RTLsdr.org/software

                            public-xrp.s3.amazonaws.com/Release-latest.zip

                            uk.groups.yahoo.com/groups/SDRSharp/.

                            tinyurl.com/blsg2or

                            goo.gl/suS2w