Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Copy SD cards??

  • Jeff Francis™
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 9, 2013
        While dd works great, take a minute and install dd_rescue (if you're on a Debian-derived linux, do "sudo apt-get install dd_rescue").  dd_rescue gives you progress updates and time estimates.  Functionally, it's the same, it just gives more feedback.

        To copy an image off of an SD card, you'll need to know which device it is and what you'd like to name the image file on your hard drive.  Assume that the SD card is /dev/sdb and you want to name the image file on your hard drive foo.dd.  Run the following command:

      sudo dd_rescue /dev/sdb foo.dd

      or if you prefer dd:

      sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=foo.dd bs=4k

        After a wait, you'll have an image of your SD card on your hard drive called foo.dd.  That file is typically very compressable.  Use bzip2 -9 for maximum compression.

        To write an image onto an SD card, it's very similar.  Again, assume sdb and foo.dd:

      sudo dd_rescue foo.dd /dev/sdb
      or
      sudo dd if=foo.dd of=/dev/sdb bs=4k

        Note that you shouldn't guess what disk device the card is.  If you guess wrong (ie, /dev/sda), you'll write the image onto your hard drive rather than your SD card.  Errors are dangerous!

        If you have two SD card readers in your machine (say sdb and sdc), you can copy directly from one card to the other:

      sudo dd_rescue /dev/sdb /dev/sdc
      or
      sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc bs=4k

        This doesn't work for moving data between cards of different sizes.  If you dd a 4gig image onto an 8gig, you won't hurt anything, other than you'll only use half of the space on the 8gig card unless/until you expand the filesystem.  No harm done.  On the other hand, if you try to dd an 8gig image onto a 4gig card, you can cause yourself endless grief.  First of all, there's no guarantee that even if there's less than 4gig of data on the 8gig image that the data is at the "bottom" of the filesystem.  Your system will also see an 8gig partition on a 4gig device, causing all sorts of headaches.  The solution here is to mount the source device (for example, on /media/deadbeef) then partition, format, and mount the destination device ("sudo fdisk /dev/sd?", "sudo mkfs.ext? /dev/sd?", then "sudo mount /dev/sd?? /mnt").  Then you can copy the contents with something like rsync ("sudo rsync -av --delete /media/deadbeef/ /mnt/").  Again, don't just guess the values where the "?" are, you're guaranteed to hork things permanently).  Using rsync will work so long as the data from the larger card will fit in the available space on the smaller card.  If you don't have rsync on your system, you can do it the way we did it in the old days:

      cd /media/deadbeef/; find . -depth -print | sudo cpio -pdmuv /mnt/

        But that's pretty old-school. :D  Doing a recursive copy with cp may or may not preserve ownership and permissions, depending on the flags you provide.  And it won't copy special files (ie, files in /dev/, /proc/, etc).

      On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM, John <ne3e001@...> wrote:

      If you are running Linux use dd:
      man dd for help.

      --
      -=jeff=-
    • William Liporace - WC2L
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 9, 2013

        Awesome!! Thank you  for the lesson!

        Will WC2L

        --
        -=jeff=-

      • Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 10, 2013

          Jerry Kutche
          Electrical Supervisor

          Lehigh Cement Company LLC
          180 N. Meridian Road
          Mitchell, IN  47446
          Phone:  (812) 849-2191 ext. 251
          Fax:  (812) 849-5007
          Cell: (812) 583-0445
          jkutche@...
          www.lehighcement.com

          This e-mail may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.  Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

          --
          -=jeff=-

        • John B. Cundiff Jr
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 10, 2013

            I wood like to buy a SD card  pre loaded with Linux OS and  SDR  programs I can use with a  Realtec Dongle .
            that I can use with the Raspberry Pi  computer.
            I have been unable to  make my own SD cards that will  work.

            --
            -=jeff=-

          • Andy
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 10, 2013
              John:

              Here's a link to MCM that has 4 gig sd cards with the Raspian Wheezy
              image on them. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-14268

              Don't believe you can boot from a dongle,maybe some one else knows for sure. You boot from the SD slot built into the Pi.

              This place has lots of accessories for the Pi. I have no connection to them other than buying from them a few times.

              Later Andy (AC2HE)

              --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John B. Cundiff Jr" wrote:

              > I wood like to buy a SD card pre loaded with Linux OS and SDR
              > programs I can use with a Realtec Dongle .
              > that I can use with the Raspberry Pi computer.
              > I have been unable to make my own SD cards that will work.
              >
              > jbcundiffjr@...
              >

              > On Jan 9, 2013, at 7:48 PM, William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
              >

              > > Awesome!! Thank you for the lesson!
              > >

              > > Will WC2L

            • John B. Cundiff Jr
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 10, 2013

                Do not want to boot from a Dongle ,,the Software Defined Radio is in the Dongle  that plugs into the USB port.
                The SD card   I will boot from  and it  needs to also  contain the Software Defined Radio  software for trhe  Realtec  Doongle   and the Linux operating system.
                I want some body who knows how to  sell me a preloaded SD memory card  with both the  OS and  SDR software on it .
                So all I got to do is  plug and play .

                john KA3WSR   jbcundiffjr@...

              • John B. Cundiff Jr.
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 10, 2013

                  i have a  SD card with the   Linux OS  needed for  the Pi...but I do not know how to  load the  Software defined radio software onto the SD card

                  so I can use the SDR   Dongle I bought that has the  Radio receiver circuits in it .

                • Alan Melia
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 10, 2013
                    Farnell ( & CPC) sell programmed SD cards in UK (Premier in US??) these are
                    4G but if you are going to use this you need to be able to update the OS
                    regularly things are changing all the time. The preprogrammed cards my not
                    be the latest Rasbian though you may be able to update on line once working.
                    Alan
                    G3NYK

                    wrote:

                    > I wood like to buy a SD card pre loaded with Linux OS and SDR
                    > programs I can use with a Realtec Dongle .
                    > that I can use with the Raspberry Pi computer.
                    > I have been unable to make my own SD cards that will work.
                    >
                    > jbcundiffjr@...
                    >

                    > On Jan 9, 2013, at 7:48 PM, William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
                    >

                    > > Awesome!! Thank you for the lesson!
                    > >

                    > > Will WC2L

                  • Rick Simpson
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 10, 2013
                      I think what John is talking about as a "SDR dongle" is a DVB-T stick that many people are now using as an inexpensive ($15) wide-band SDR receiver that puts out the SDR I and Q signals on the USB connector. They connect the I and Q signals to a PC sound card and use conventional SDR software on the PC to process and display the signals. I doubt that a Pi has sufficient processing power to emulate the capabilities of a sound card and also run the SDR software necessary to complete the processing and run the display and controls. If such a program could be written for the Pi there would be a huge demand for the SD card with Linux and the SDR program all properly configured for use with the dongle.

                      Rick
                      K3IND

                      From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
                      href="mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com">Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
                      > > ] On Behalf Of Jeff FrancisT
                      > > Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2013
                      7:19 PM
                      > > To:
                      href="mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com">Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
                      > > Subject: Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Copy SD cards??
                      > >

                      > > While dd
                      works great, take a minute and install dd_rescue (if
                      > > you're on a
                      Debian-derived linux, do "sudo apt-get install
                      > > dd_rescue").
                      dd_rescue gives you progress updates and time
                      > > estimates.
                      Functionally, it's the same, it just gives more feedback.

                      > > To copy an image off of an SD card, you'll need
                      to know which
                      > > device it is and what you'd like to name the image
                      file on your hard
                      > > drive. Assume that the SD card is /dev/sdb and
                      you want to name the
                      > > image file on your hard drive foo.dd. Run the
                      following command:

                      > > sudo
                      dd_rescue /dev/sdb foo.dd

                      > > or
                      if you prefer dd:

                      > > sudo dd
                      if=/dev/sdb of=foo.dd bs=4k

                      After a wait, you'll have an image of your SD card on your hard

                      drive called foo.dd. That file is typically very compressable. Use

                      bzip2 -9 for maximum compression.

                      > > To write an image onto an SD card, it's very similar. Again,

                      assume sdb and foo.dd:

                      > > sudo
                      dd_rescue foo.dd /dev/sdb

                      > > or

                      sudo dd if=foo.dd of=/dev/sdb bs=4k

                      > > Note that you shouldn't guess what disk device the card is.
                      If
                      > > you guess wrong (ie, /dev/sda), you'll write the image onto
                      your
                      > > hard drive rather than your SD card. Errors are
                      dangerous!

                      > > If you have two
                      SD card readers in your machine (say sdb and sdc),
                      > > you can copy
                      directly from one card to the other:

                      > > sudo dd_rescue /dev/sdb /dev/sdc

                      or

                      > > sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc bs=4k
                      > >

                      > > This doesn't work for moving data
                      between cards of different
                      > > sizes. If you dd a 4gig image onto an
                      8gig, you won't hurt
                      > > anything, other than you'll only use half of
                      the space on the 8gig
                      > > card unless/until you expand the filesystem.
                      No harm done. On the
                      > > other hand, if you try to dd an 8gig image
                      onto a 4gig card, you can
                      > > cause yourself endless grief. First of
                      all, there's no guarantee
                      > > that even if there's less than 4gig of
                      data on the 8gig image that
                      > > the data is at the "bottom" of the
                      filesystem. Your system will
                      > > also see an 8gig partition on a 4gig
                      device, causing all sorts of
                      > > headaches. The solution here is to
                      mount the source device (for
                      > > example, on /media/deadbeef) then
                      partition, format, and mount the
                      > > destination device ("sudo fdisk
                      /dev/sd?", "sudo mkfs.ext? /dev/
                      > > sd?", then "sudo mount /dev/sd??
                      /mnt"). Then you can copy the
                      > > contents with something like rsync
                      ("sudo rsync -av --delete /media/
                      > > deadbeef/ /mnt/"). Again, don't
                      just guess the values where the "?"
                      > > are, you're guaranteed to hork
                      things permanently). Using rsync
                      > > will work so long as the data from
                      the larger card will fit in the
                      > > available space on the smaller
                      card. If you don't have rsync on
                      > > your system, you can do it the way
                      we did it in the old days:

                      cd /media/deadbeef/; find . -depth -print | sudo cpio -pdmuv /mnt/

                      > > But that's pretty old-school. :D
                      Doing a recursive copy with cp
                      > > may or may not preserve ownership
                      and permissions, depending on the
                      > > flags you provide. And it won't
                      copy special files (ie, files in /
                      > > dev/, /proc/, etc).
                      > >

                      > > On Wed,
                      Jan 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM, John wrote:

                      > > If you are running Linux use dd:
                      > > man dd for
                      help.

                      href="https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download">https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

                      ________________________________

                      Subject: Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Copy SD cards??

                      Will

                      > > > If you have
                      a reader writer you can copy the image and rewrite it
                      > > onto another
                      card/ If your using Windows you will have to use the
                      > > imager
                      reference in the RPI beginners guide/ I dont recalll the name
                      > > of
                      the utility.

                      > > > Rick

                      [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Copy SD cards??

                      > > > Is there an easy way to
                      copy SD cards?? Do you create an image or
                      > > can copy the files from
                      one to another??

                      > > > TNX Will WC2L
                      > > >

                      > > --
                      > > -=jeff=-

                    • John B. Cundiff Jr
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                        I already have one of these SD cards  with the Linux OS on it ...and it workls fine.  I can cruise the internet wit it
                          BUT . it does not have the software I need to operate the Realtec Dongle receiver .
                        So I can not  run Software Defined Radio programs  I do not know how to load onto the SD card..

                        wrote:

                        > I wood like to buy a SD card pre loaded with Linux OS and SDR
                        > programs I can use with a Realtec Dongle .
                        > that I can use with the Raspberry Pi computer.
                        > I have been unable to make my own SD cards that will work.
                        >
                        > jbcundiffjr@...
                        >

                        > On Jan 9, 2013, at 7:48 PM, William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
                        >

                        > > Awesome!! Thank you for the lesson!
                        > >

                        > > Will WC2L

                      • John B. Cundiff Jr
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                          This is exactly what I am talking about .
                          Can some one load a SD card with the  OS and Software  I need to do this ?

                          Then sell it to me ?
                           I have tried  but do not understand  Linux  well enough to do it .
                          I bought a preloaded  SD card with the Linux OS on it but do not  know how to add the SDR software I also need .
                          I have a USV  3.5 inch floppy drive and I have several  USB memory sticks.
                          Could the SDR software be  loaded onto  either of them and  then run ?

                          John

                          wrote:

                          > I wood like to buy a SD card pre loaded with Linux OS and SDR
                          > programs I can use with a Realtec Dongle .
                          > that I can use with the Raspberry Pi computer.
                          > I have been unable to make my own SD cards that will work.
                          >
                          > jbcundiffjr@...
                          >

                          > On Jan 9, 2013, at 7:48 PM, William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
                          >

                          > > Awesome!! Thank you for the lesson!
                          > >

                          > > Will WC2L

                        • John B. Cundiff Jr.
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                            Such programs have been written  to run on the Pi and are available  free on the internet .
                            QST  January  edition shows how to do it on a PC.

                            I just do not know how to load them on a  SD card  that I will plug int the Pi.
                            ...I  see  many  articles describing  how  many others  have already done this ..
                            .I am not asking anyone to write anything or  create anything that does not
                            already exit.   These programs are feee for the Downloading .

                            I  do not know how to  download it off the internet and install in on the SD card
                            with the  Linux OS  that it will run on.
                            If some one could do this for me  and then sell it to me I wood be glad to pay them for their trouble.
                            John

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                              Hi John

                              Do you know which SDR program you need to support your SDR device?

                              Which Linux operating system is on your SDcard? (There is at least 5
                              different ones that I know of)

                              How do you access your Pi, do you have a monitor,mouse,keyboard
                              attached, or do you use SSH or VNC to access it?

                              If a version of the SDR software is available for the Pi/linux then this
                              should not be all that hard to do, we might even be able to do it remotely.

                              -Jim-
                              Visit my Pi running ircddb, dvrptr, Apache2 web-server & other things:
                              http://n1jmm.no-ip.org
                              http://n1jmm.no-ip.org/index.php

                              On 1/11/13 3:02 AM, John B. Cundiff Jr wrote:

                              > I already have one of these SD cards with the Linux OS on it ...and it
                              > workls fine. I can cruise the internet wit it
                              > BUT . it does not have the software I need to operate the Realtec
                              > Dongle receiver .
                              > So I can not run Software Defined Radio programs I do not know how to
                              > load onto the SD card..
                              >
                              > On Jan 10, 2013, at 8:14 PM, Alan Melia wrote:
                              >
                              >> Farnell ( & CPC) sell programmed SD cards in UK (Premier in US??)
                              >> these are
                              >> 4G but if you are going to use this you need to be able to update the OS
                              >> regularly things are changing all the time. The preprogrammed cards my
                              >> not
                              >> be the latest Rasbian though you may be able to update on line once
                              >> working.
                              >> Alan
                              >> G3NYK

                            • Robert Nickels
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                                On 1/11/2013 8:46 AM, Jim Thisdale wrote:
                                > If a version of the SDR software is available for the Pi/linux then this
                                > should not be all that hard to do, we might even be able to do it remotely.
                                Hi Guys,

                                Not to toss a wet blanket on what I too would love to see happen, but
                                the Pi CPU just doesn't have the processing power to run the DSP code
                                that's needed for a full SDR application. I'm no DSP guru, but this
                                comes straight from guys who are. Now you might wonder why this is the
                                case since the Pi is capable of playing beautiful HD quality video?
                                The answer is, video utilizes the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) on the
                                Pi, which is restricted for other uses by terms of the license agreement
                                to help keep the price low. I'm hoping that this will change someday,
                                and SDR developers will invest the time and energy needed to utilize the
                                GPU for SDR purposes.

                                Meanwhile if you search the archives of this list you'll find my posts
                                about using the Pi as a "Dongle Server" for a $15 DVB-T stick. I'm
                                sitting here listening to MIDCARS on 40 meters by running SDR# software
                                on this XP PC which is getting a stream of I/Q samples from my Raspberry
                                Pi "dongle server" at the other end of the house.

                                This application, which only requires the Pi to receive samples from the
                                dongle and re-transmit them at a rate of 1.024 million samples per
                                secont via ethernet, takes 30% of the Pi CPU. I control it remotely
                                via ssh and putty.

                                73, Bob W9RAN
                              • John B. Cundiff Jr.
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                                  Gentle men

                                  I love this idea ...now who can load a SD card with the software I need .
                                  I have a Paspberry Pi and a Hackberry pi with the WiFi built in to the card.

                                  I can hang the Hackberry Pi up in the trees outside ..Solar power it with
                                  rechargeable batteries.
                                  ..right at the antenna and connect threw my WiFi network in my house.
                                  Remotely control it ...
                                  No sound card no video necessary...is every body happy now...can we do this?
                                  who will load a SD card with the Linux OS and the SDR software and server
                                  etc....and sell it to me ?

                                  John

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                                    I have a DVB-T Dongle that contains a Realtek 2832 quadrature decoder
                                    chip and a Elonics E4000
                                    Simular Dongles are FUNcube Dongle,SDR-4,LazyDog's LD-1,SDR-IQ, SDR-14
                                    RTL2832U / RTLSDR

                                    SDR.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/RTL-SDR

                                    sdsrsharp.com

                                    sdrsharp.com/index.php/downloads

                                    RTLsdr.org/software

                                    public-xrp.s3.amazonaws.com/Release-latest.zip

                                    uk.groups.yahoo.com/groups/SDRSharp/.

                                    tinyurl.com/blsg2or

                                    goo.gl/suS2w