Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Copy SD cards??

  • Rick Nicholson
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 6, 2013
      Will

      If you have a reader writer you can copy the image and rewrite it onto another card/ If your using Windows you will have to use the imager reference in the RPI beginners guide/ I dont recalll the name of the utility.

      Rick

      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 7, 2013
        It's Win32diskimager (winimage for short):  https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

        You can use "gparted" in another linux box to resize up & down.

        However I've noticed so far that even if you shrink the partition
        can't get smaller image.    The Winimage makes image of the entire
        drive.  IE: if it's an 8 gig that's what we get. Will be pursuing
        this more as would like to shrink some down again. (for storage)

        " sudo apt-get gparted" or use synaptic package manager.
        Must use different machine,& of course get the right partition!:)

        Later,Andy (AC2HE)

        If you have a reader writer you can copy the image and rewrite it onto another card/ If your using Windows you will have to use the imager reference in the RPI beginners guide/ I dont recalll the name of the utility.

        Rick

        Is there an easy way to copy SD cards?? Do you create an image or can copy the files from one to another??

        TNX Will WC2L

      • John
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 9, 2013
          If you are running Linux use dd:
          man dd for help.

          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Andy B wrote:

          > It's Win32diskimager (winimage for short): https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download
          >
          > You can use "gparted" in another linux box to resize up & down.
          >
          > However I've noticed so far that even if you shrink the partition
          > can't get smaller image.    The Winimage makes image of the entire
          > drive.  IE: if it's an 8 gig that's what we get. Will be pursuing
          > this more as would like to shrink some down again. (for storage)
          >
          > " sudo apt-get gparted" or use synaptic package manager.
          > Must use different machine,& of course get the right partition!:)
          >

          > Later,Andy (AC2HE)
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Jeff Francis™
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 9, 2013
              While dd works great, take a minute and install dd_rescue (if you're on a Debian-derived linux, do "sudo apt-get install dd_rescue").  dd_rescue gives you progress updates and time estimates.  Functionally, it's the same, it just gives more feedback.

              To copy an image off of an SD card, you'll need to know which device it is and what you'd like to name the image file on your hard drive.  Assume that the SD card is /dev/sdb and you want to name the image file on your hard drive foo.dd.  Run the following command:

            sudo dd_rescue /dev/sdb foo.dd

            or if you prefer dd:

            sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=foo.dd bs=4k

              After a wait, you'll have an image of your SD card on your hard drive called foo.dd.  That file is typically very compressable.  Use bzip2 -9 for maximum compression.

              To write an image onto an SD card, it's very similar.  Again, assume sdb and foo.dd:

            sudo dd_rescue foo.dd /dev/sdb
            or
            sudo dd if=foo.dd of=/dev/sdb bs=4k

              Note that you shouldn't guess what disk device the card is.  If you guess wrong (ie, /dev/sda), you'll write the image onto your hard drive rather than your SD card.  Errors are dangerous!

              If you have two SD card readers in your machine (say sdb and sdc), you can copy directly from one card to the other:

            sudo dd_rescue /dev/sdb /dev/sdc
            or
            sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc bs=4k

              This doesn't work for moving data between cards of different sizes.  If you dd a 4gig image onto an 8gig, you won't hurt anything, other than you'll only use half of the space on the 8gig card unless/until you expand the filesystem.  No harm done.  On the other hand, if you try to dd an 8gig image onto a 4gig card, you can cause yourself endless grief.  First of all, there's no guarantee that even if there's less than 4gig of data on the 8gig image that the data is at the "bottom" of the filesystem.  Your system will also see an 8gig partition on a 4gig device, causing all sorts of headaches.  The solution here is to mount the source device (for example, on /media/deadbeef) then partition, format, and mount the destination device ("sudo fdisk /dev/sd?", "sudo mkfs.ext? /dev/sd?", then "sudo mount /dev/sd?? /mnt").  Then you can copy the contents with something like rsync ("sudo rsync -av --delete /media/deadbeef/ /mnt/").  Again, don't just guess the values where the "?" are, you're guaranteed to hork things permanently).  Using rsync will work so long as the data from the larger card will fit in the available space on the smaller card.  If you don't have rsync on your system, you can do it the way we did it in the old days:

            cd /media/deadbeef/; find . -depth -print | sudo cpio -pdmuv /mnt/

              But that's pretty old-school. :D  Doing a recursive copy with cp may or may not preserve ownership and permissions, depending on the flags you provide.  And it won't copy special files (ie, files in /dev/, /proc/, etc).

            --
            -=jeff=-
          • William Liporace - WC2L
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 9, 2013

              Awesome!! Thank you  for the lesson!

              Will WC2L

              --
              -=jeff=-

            • Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 10, 2013

                Jerry Kutche
                Electrical Supervisor

                Lehigh Cement Company LLC
                180 N. Meridian Road
                Mitchell, IN  47446
                Phone:  (812) 849-2191 ext. 251
                Fax:  (812) 849-5007
                Cell: (812) 583-0445
                jkutche@...
                www.lehighcement.com

                This e-mail may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.  Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

                --
                -=jeff=-

              • John B. Cundiff Jr
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 10, 2013

                  I wood like to buy a SD card  pre loaded with Linux OS and  SDR  programs I can use with a  Realtec Dongle .
                  that I can use with the Raspberry Pi  computer.
                  I have been unable to  make my own SD cards that will  work.

                  --
                  -=jeff=-

                • Andy
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 10, 2013
                    John:

                    Here's a link to MCM that has 4 gig sd cards with the Raspian Wheezy
                    image on them. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-14268

                    Don't believe you can boot from a dongle,maybe some one else knows for sure. You boot from the SD slot built into the Pi.

                    This place has lots of accessories for the Pi. I have no connection to them other than buying from them a few times.

                    Later Andy (AC2HE)

                    --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John B. Cundiff Jr" wrote:

                    > I wood like to buy a SD card pre loaded with Linux OS and SDR
                    > programs I can use with a Realtec Dongle .
                    > that I can use with the Raspberry Pi computer.
                    > I have been unable to make my own SD cards that will work.
                    >
                    > jbcundiffjr@...
                    >

                    > On Jan 9, 2013, at 7:48 PM, William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
                    >

                    > > Awesome!! Thank you for the lesson!
                    > >

                    > > Will WC2L

                  • John B. Cundiff Jr
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 10, 2013

                      Do not want to boot from a Dongle ,,the Software Defined Radio is in the Dongle  that plugs into the USB port.
                      The SD card   I will boot from  and it  needs to also  contain the Software Defined Radio  software for trhe  Realtec  Doongle   and the Linux operating system.
                      I want some body who knows how to  sell me a preloaded SD memory card  with both the  OS and  SDR software on it .
                      So all I got to do is  plug and play .

                      john KA3WSR   jbcundiffjr@...

                    • John B. Cundiff Jr.
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 10, 2013

                        i have a  SD card with the   Linux OS  needed for  the Pi...but I do not know how to  load the  Software defined radio software onto the SD card

                        so I can use the SDR   Dongle I bought that has the  Radio receiver circuits in it .

                      • Alan Melia
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 10, 2013
                          Farnell ( & CPC) sell programmed SD cards in UK (Premier in US??) these are
                          4G but if you are going to use this you need to be able to update the OS
                          regularly things are changing all the time. The preprogrammed cards my not
                          be the latest Rasbian though you may be able to update on line once working.
                          Alan
                          G3NYK

                          wrote:

                          > I wood like to buy a SD card pre loaded with Linux OS and SDR
                          > programs I can use with a Realtec Dongle .
                          > that I can use with the Raspberry Pi computer.
                          > I have been unable to make my own SD cards that will work.
                          >
                          > jbcundiffjr@...
                          >

                          > On Jan 9, 2013, at 7:48 PM, William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
                          >

                          > > Awesome!! Thank you for the lesson!
                          > >

                          > > Will WC2L

                        • Rick Simpson
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 10, 2013
                            I think what John is talking about as a "SDR dongle" is a DVB-T stick that many people are now using as an inexpensive ($15) wide-band SDR receiver that puts out the SDR I and Q signals on the USB connector. They connect the I and Q signals to a PC sound card and use conventional SDR software on the PC to process and display the signals. I doubt that a Pi has sufficient processing power to emulate the capabilities of a sound card and also run the SDR software necessary to complete the processing and run the display and controls. If such a program could be written for the Pi there would be a huge demand for the SD card with Linux and the SDR program all properly configured for use with the dongle.

                            Rick
                            K3IND

                            From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
                            href="mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com">Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
                            > > ] On Behalf Of Jeff FrancisT
                            > > Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2013
                            7:19 PM
                            > > To:
                            href="mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com">Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
                            > > Subject: Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Copy SD cards??
                            > >

                            > > While dd
                            works great, take a minute and install dd_rescue (if
                            > > you're on a
                            Debian-derived linux, do "sudo apt-get install
                            > > dd_rescue").
                            dd_rescue gives you progress updates and time
                            > > estimates.
                            Functionally, it's the same, it just gives more feedback.

                            > > To copy an image off of an SD card, you'll need
                            to know which
                            > > device it is and what you'd like to name the image
                            file on your hard
                            > > drive. Assume that the SD card is /dev/sdb and
                            you want to name the
                            > > image file on your hard drive foo.dd. Run the
                            following command:

                            > > sudo
                            dd_rescue /dev/sdb foo.dd

                            > > or
                            if you prefer dd:

                            > > sudo dd
                            if=/dev/sdb of=foo.dd bs=4k

                            After a wait, you'll have an image of your SD card on your hard

                            drive called foo.dd. That file is typically very compressable. Use

                            bzip2 -9 for maximum compression.

                            > > To write an image onto an SD card, it's very similar. Again,

                            assume sdb and foo.dd:

                            > > sudo
                            dd_rescue foo.dd /dev/sdb

                            > > or

                            sudo dd if=foo.dd of=/dev/sdb bs=4k

                            > > Note that you shouldn't guess what disk device the card is.
                            If
                            > > you guess wrong (ie, /dev/sda), you'll write the image onto
                            your
                            > > hard drive rather than your SD card. Errors are
                            dangerous!

                            > > If you have two
                            SD card readers in your machine (say sdb and sdc),
                            > > you can copy
                            directly from one card to the other:

                            > > sudo dd_rescue /dev/sdb /dev/sdc

                            or

                            > > sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc bs=4k
                            > >

                            > > This doesn't work for moving data
                            between cards of different
                            > > sizes. If you dd a 4gig image onto an
                            8gig, you won't hurt
                            > > anything, other than you'll only use half of
                            the space on the 8gig
                            > > card unless/until you expand the filesystem.
                            No harm done. On the
                            > > other hand, if you try to dd an 8gig image
                            onto a 4gig card, you can
                            > > cause yourself endless grief. First of
                            all, there's no guarantee
                            > > that even if there's less than 4gig of
                            data on the 8gig image that
                            > > the data is at the "bottom" of the
                            filesystem. Your system will
                            > > also see an 8gig partition on a 4gig
                            device, causing all sorts of
                            > > headaches. The solution here is to
                            mount the source device (for
                            > > example, on /media/deadbeef) then
                            partition, format, and mount the
                            > > destination device ("sudo fdisk
                            /dev/sd?", "sudo mkfs.ext? /dev/
                            > > sd?", then "sudo mount /dev/sd??
                            /mnt"). Then you can copy the
                            > > contents with something like rsync
                            ("sudo rsync -av --delete /media/
                            > > deadbeef/ /mnt/"). Again, don't
                            just guess the values where the "?"
                            > > are, you're guaranteed to hork
                            things permanently). Using rsync
                            > > will work so long as the data from
                            the larger card will fit in the
                            > > available space on the smaller
                            card. If you don't have rsync on
                            > > your system, you can do it the way
                            we did it in the old days:

                            cd /media/deadbeef/; find . -depth -print | sudo cpio -pdmuv /mnt/

                            > > But that's pretty old-school. :D
                            Doing a recursive copy with cp
                            > > may or may not preserve ownership
                            and permissions, depending on the
                            > > flags you provide. And it won't
                            copy special files (ie, files in /
                            > > dev/, /proc/, etc).
                            > >

                            > > On Wed,
                            Jan 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM, John wrote:

                            > > If you are running Linux use dd:
                            > > man dd for
                            help.

                            href="https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download">https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

                            ________________________________

                            the utility.

                            > > > Rick

                            [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Copy SD cards??

                            > > > Is there an easy way to
                            copy SD cards?? Do you create an image or
                            > > can copy the files from
                            one to another??

                            > > > TNX Will WC2L
                            > > >

                            > > --
                            > > -=jeff=-

                          • John B. Cundiff Jr
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                              I already have one of these SD cards  with the Linux OS on it ...and it workls fine.  I can cruise the internet wit it
                                BUT . it does not have the software I need to operate the Realtec Dongle receiver .
                              So I can not  run Software Defined Radio programs  I do not know how to load onto the SD card..

                              wrote:

                              > I wood like to buy a SD card pre loaded with Linux OS and SDR
                              > programs I can use with a Realtec Dongle .
                              > that I can use with the Raspberry Pi computer.
                              > I have been unable to make my own SD cards that will work.
                              >
                              > jbcundiffjr@...
                              >

                              > On Jan 9, 2013, at 7:48 PM, William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
                              >

                              > > Awesome!! Thank you for the lesson!
                              > >

                              > > Will WC2L

                            • John B. Cundiff Jr
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                                This is exactly what I am talking about .
                                Can some one load a SD card with the  OS and Software  I need to do this ?

                                Then sell it to me ?
                                 I have tried  but do not understand  Linux  well enough to do it .
                                I bought a preloaded  SD card with the Linux OS on it but do not  know how to add the SDR software I also need .
                                I have a USV  3.5 inch floppy drive and I have several  USB memory sticks.
                                Could the SDR software be  loaded onto  either of them and  then run ?

                                John

                                wrote:

                                > I wood like to buy a SD card pre loaded with Linux OS and SDR
                                > programs I can use with a Realtec Dongle .
                                > that I can use with the Raspberry Pi computer.
                                > I have been unable to make my own SD cards that will work.
                                >
                                > jbcundiffjr@...
                                >

                                > On Jan 9, 2013, at 7:48 PM, William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
                                >

                                > > Awesome!! Thank you for the lesson!
                                > >

                                > > Will WC2L

                              • John B. Cundiff Jr.
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                                  Such programs have been written  to run on the Pi and are available  free on the internet .
                                  QST  January  edition shows how to do it on a PC.

                                  I just do not know how to load them on a  SD card  that I will plug int the Pi.
                                  ...I  see  many  articles describing  how  many others  have already done this ..
                                  .I am not asking anyone to write anything or  create anything that does not
                                  already exit.   These programs are feee for the Downloading .

                                  I  do not know how to  download it off the internet and install in on the SD card
                                  with the  Linux OS  that it will run on.
                                  If some one could do this for me  and then sell it to me I wood be glad to pay them for their trouble.
                                  John

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                                    Hi John

                                    Do you know which SDR program you need to support your SDR device?

                                    Which Linux operating system is on your SDcard? (There is at least 5
                                    different ones that I know of)

                                    How do you access your Pi, do you have a monitor,mouse,keyboard
                                    attached, or do you use SSH or VNC to access it?

                                    If a version of the SDR software is available for the Pi/linux then this
                                    should not be all that hard to do, we might even be able to do it remotely.

                                    -Jim-
                                    Visit my Pi running ircddb, dvrptr, Apache2 web-server & other things:
                                    http://n1jmm.no-ip.org
                                    http://n1jmm.no-ip.org/index.php

                                    On 1/11/13 3:02 AM, John B. Cundiff Jr wrote:

                                    > I already have one of these SD cards with the Linux OS on it ...and it
                                    > workls fine. I can cruise the internet wit it
                                    > BUT . it does not have the software I need to operate the Realtec
                                    > Dongle receiver .
                                    > So I can not run Software Defined Radio programs I do not know how to
                                    > load onto the SD card..
                                    >
                                    > On Jan 10, 2013, at 8:14 PM, Alan Melia wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> Farnell ( & CPC) sell programmed SD cards in UK (Premier in US??)
                                    >> these are
                                    >> 4G but if you are going to use this you need to be able to update the OS
                                    >> regularly things are changing all the time. The preprogrammed cards my
                                    >> not
                                    >> be the latest Rasbian though you may be able to update on line once
                                    >> working.
                                    >> Alan
                                    >> G3NYK

                                  • Robert Nickels
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                                      On 1/11/2013 8:46 AM, Jim Thisdale wrote:
                                      > If a version of the SDR software is available for the Pi/linux then this
                                      > should not be all that hard to do, we might even be able to do it remotely.
                                      Hi Guys,

                                      Not to toss a wet blanket on what I too would love to see happen, but
                                      the Pi CPU just doesn't have the processing power to run the DSP code
                                      that's needed for a full SDR application. I'm no DSP guru, but this
                                      comes straight from guys who are. Now you might wonder why this is the
                                      case since the Pi is capable of playing beautiful HD quality video?
                                      The answer is, video utilizes the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) on the
                                      Pi, which is restricted for other uses by terms of the license agreement
                                      to help keep the price low. I'm hoping that this will change someday,
                                      and SDR developers will invest the time and energy needed to utilize the
                                      GPU for SDR purposes.

                                      Meanwhile if you search the archives of this list you'll find my posts
                                      about using the Pi as a "Dongle Server" for a $15 DVB-T stick. I'm
                                      sitting here listening to MIDCARS on 40 meters by running SDR# software
                                      on this XP PC which is getting a stream of I/Q samples from my Raspberry
                                      Pi "dongle server" at the other end of the house.

                                      This application, which only requires the Pi to receive samples from the
                                      dongle and re-transmit them at a rate of 1.024 million samples per
                                      secont via ethernet, takes 30% of the Pi CPU. I control it remotely
                                      via ssh and putty.

                                      73, Bob W9RAN
                                    • John B. Cundiff Jr.
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                                        Gentle men

                                        I love this idea ...now who can load a SD card with the software I need .
                                        I have a Paspberry Pi and a Hackberry pi with the WiFi built in to the card.

                                        I can hang the Hackberry Pi up in the trees outside ..Solar power it with
                                        rechargeable batteries.
                                        ..right at the antenna and connect threw my WiFi network in my house.
                                        Remotely control it ...
                                        No sound card no video necessary...is every body happy now...can we do this?
                                        who will load a SD card with the Linux OS and the SDR software and server
                                        etc....and sell it to me ?

                                        John

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                                          I have a DVB-T Dongle that contains a Realtek 2832 quadrature decoder
                                          chip and a Elonics E4000
                                          Simular Dongles are FUNcube Dongle,SDR-4,LazyDog's LD-1,SDR-IQ, SDR-14
                                          RTL2832U / RTLSDR

                                          SDR.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/RTL-SDR

                                          sdsrsharp.com

                                          sdrsharp.com/index.php/downloads

                                          RTLsdr.org/software

                                          public-xrp.s3.amazonaws.com/Release-latest.zip

                                          uk.groups.yahoo.com/groups/SDRSharp/.

                                          tinyurl.com/blsg2or

                                          goo.gl/suS2w