New member intro

  • J FLETCHER
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 16, 2012
      Hi!

      I've just joined this group. I got my first Raspberry Pi yesterday and with some assistance from a colleague, got it working today. I know nothing about it except how to connect it and switch it on. Lots to learn.

      On the radio side, I've held a full UK amateur licence since June 1975. Main interests are 40m CW and RTTY, not that I'm very active at the moment.

      73,

      John G4EDX

    • VK5ZEA
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 30, 2012
        Hi Everybody,

        My name is Michael VK5ZEA. I've had a couple of Raspberry Pi's for around three months now. My main interest was the work done using the Jonathan Naylor (G4KLX) ircDDB Gateway and Repeater D-Star software.

        I've been into amateur radio for around 22 years, and computers since 1979. My first computer of my own was a Commodore 64 and it spent a lot of time in the late 80's and 90's hooked up to a BayCom packet modem. My main focus has been digital communications... Packet Radio, APRS, IRLP, AllStar/Asterisk, AIS, WSPR, D-Star, P25, DMR... etc.

        I've just finished a Portable D-Star HotSpot powered by a Raspberry Pi, G4KLX software and a DVAP Dongle.

        http://youtu.be/zbJu1QzC2EA
        http://youtu.be/vXwJbm13PGk
        http://youtu.be/5wMwEU2rqRc

        I am constantly amazed at what the Raspberry Pi can do!

        Michael.
        VK5ZEA
      • Peter Tasker
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 30, 2012
          Hi Michael,

          I have just received my Raspberry Pi with the intention of hooking it up to a DVAP.  My problem is that having no Linux experience I need a "dummies guide" do you know if such a thing exists if so could you pint me in the right direction.

          Thanks

          Peter
          G6VBJ

          Peter Tasker
          Sent from my iPad

[...]

        • siegfried jackstien
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 30, 2012
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbJu1QzC2EA

            write to micnael .. he sure can help

            cause he has it up and running (maybe he just can copy the sd card for you
            and yours should be ready to use)

            dg9nbfc

            sigi

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 31, 2012
              Hi Peter,
              I’m also new to the Raspberry Pi also but have been a Ham since the mid ‘60s', designing my own computers since 1978 and into Linux since the ‘80s.
              Here is a link to a free guide that may help:  http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/getting-started-guide-linux
              Makeuseof has more downloadable books on Linux if you want peruse their page on books.
              Dave
              WØHE

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2013
                It took me a bit of searching, but if you want to quickly download this and other books in the entry field to the left of the download now link type in the phrase makeuseof then you do not have to become a face-book, twitter or goggle plus junkie where all your personal information is shared with the likes of people in Nigeria, or the mafia. Yet another attempt by the social media companies to track your every move so they can send you junk mail and targeted ads, etc.
                73,
                KD8IGK