New member

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 30, 2012
      Hello all. KC9RNN Gary here. I have only been a Ham since 2010.
      Looking forward to getting involved with the raspberry pi. I thought when I first checked it out, it may have potential with my radio.
      I only do QRP. KC9RNN Gary
    • stargazer30721
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 23, 2014
        Hello folks...
        I am a new member here and a new Raspberry Pi B+ owner.  Been in ham radio for 20 years but no experience with Linux, etc.

        I bought this little thing to make myself learn something new!  I'll probably be asking alot of NOOB questions, so help me learn!!

        Hank
        K4HYJ

      • David Cole
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 24, 2014
          That will make two of us now... :) I just ordered mine as well...
          Seems straight forward!
          --
          Thanks and 73's,
          www.nk7z.net

          On Thu, 2014-10-23 at 18:37 -0700, hbjr@...
          [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

          > Hello folks...
          > I am a new member here and a new Raspberry Pi B+ owner. Been in ham
          > radio for 20 years but no experience with Linux, etc.
          >
          > I bought this little thing to make myself learn something new! I'll
          > probably be asking alot of NOOB questions, so help me learn!!
          >
          > Hank
          > K4HYJ

        • nf2g
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 24, 2014
            Dave, NF2G, jumping aboard.

            I have an Arduino Uno and plan to use it along with a Raspberry Pi B+.  I have not yet ordered the Pi, though.

            I notice that the B+ alone is $35 and has some inputs and outputs that the B does not.  The starter kits are going for around $129.  Do the starter kits have the B+?  If so, do they include peripherals that might be redundant with that model?

            I'm trying to figure out the best combination for getting started.

            73 de Dave, NF2G
          • nf2g
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 24, 2014
              BTW, I am already aware of the GertDuino board.  I plan to get one of those unless there is a better option somewhere.

              73 de Dave, NF2G
            • Max Harper
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 24, 2014
                The B+ doesn't have any I/O that the b didn't, other than 2 more USB ports. What has changed is they moved some I/o that was in a different location. Now everything is on the 40pin? connector. Each starter kit is different so you have to check each one to see what it includes. Some starter kits cost more than the individual parts so do the math and see if it's a deal or not. I did not buy a starter kit but chose to piece mine together. For $129 I could get 2 of them running. The SD or micro SD card can make a big difference in any operation that is doing reads and especially writes to the card, I only use SanDisk class 10 cards. The power supply also makes a big difference in it reliability. When you hear of someone having lockup problems it is usually the memory card or power supply causing the problem. And always do a shutdown before powering off since it I running Linux.

                Max KG4PID

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 24, 2014
                  Hi guys,
                  Just thought I'd add my bit as I too am new to the raspberry pi and Linux.  I thought about getting the starter kit but after a little scouting around the Internet for information I worked out that it was way less expensive to get what I needed rather than accepting a bundle of which some items I either didn't need or already had.  For example I had a spare usb keyboard and mouse (they are low budget items anyway) and I also had a monitor and a power supply here. I ended up paying £38 and my pi is up and running like a dream, I didn't believe how these little guys worked until I saw it here in front of me.  Now however I must get down to learning the OS and command line stuff.
                  I hope to link up this interest with the radio and am looking at the projects that some of the people here are doing.  So I too will be picking somebody's brain for help.
                  Anyways it's nice to say hello to you all, take care and have fun.

                  Bill. GW4THK
                • David Cole
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 24, 2014
                    Hi I located a good kit for 69 bucks at:
                    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LAAZKXQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

                    Here is a cut from the ad:

                    ====CUT====
                    This Is the Raspberry Pi Model B Plus Ultimate Starter Kit From Vilros
                    It includes the new Raspberry Pi Model B+
                    The Raspberry Pi Model B+ has a new board layout with the following
                    benefits over the standard Model B:
                    More energy efficient / uses less power
                    Supports a smarter board layout including an expanded GPIO header (40
                    pin instead of 26)
                    Extra 2 USB ports (making a total of 4) and a new 4-pole connector
                    replacing the existing analogue and composite video port on the Model B.

                    Kit Content

                    Raspberry Pi - Model B Plus (Made in the UK)
                    Raspberry Pi Enclosure Case (Clear)
                    8GB Micro SD Card pre-loaded with NOOB -- Which has the following
                    software pre-installed -- Raspbian -- OpenELEC -- Arch -- RaspBMC-- RISC
                    OS -- Pidora
                    USB Power Supply with Micro USB Cable
                    6FT High Quality HDMI Cable
                    Wireless Wifi Adapter Realtek 8188CU Same Chip used by the Edimax
                    EW-7811Un
                    400-Tie-point breadboard (white)
                    65 Jumper Wires -- 45 pcs--100mm, 10 pcs--150mm, 5 pcs--200mm, 5
                    pcs--250mm
                    USB to TTL Serial Cable
                    GPIO Ribbon Cable with Breakout board
                    45 X 330 Resistors
                    45X 10K Resistors
                    2X Big 12mm Buttons
                    Heatsink for Raspberry Pi - Set of 3 Heat Sinks
                    10X Yellow LED
                    10X Red LED

                    NOTE: The SD Card may appear to be a smaller capacity when you test it
                    on your computer, but it's 100% guaranteed to be 8GB.
                    The reason it appears to be smaller is because of the partitions placed
                    on the card once the software is installed.
                    =====CUT=====

                    For the bucks it looked pretty good to me... But I am new to the
                    Raspberry Pi.

                    --
                    Thanks and 73's,
                    www.nk7z.net

                    On Fri, 2014-10-24 at 09:43 -0700, davidthomasstark@...
                    [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

                    > Dave, NF2G, jumping aboard.
                    >
                    > I have an Arduino Uno and plan to use it along with a Raspberry Pi B+.
                    > I have not yet ordered the Pi, though.
                    >
                    > I notice that the B+ alone is $35 and has some inputs and outputs that
                    > the B does not. The starter kits are going for around $129. Do the
                    > starter kits have the B+? If so, do they include peripherals that
                    > might be redundant with that model?
                    >
                    > I'm trying to figure out the best combination for getting started.
                    >
                    > 73 de Dave, NF2G

                  • stargazer30721
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 24, 2014
                      Thanks for the advice!!!
                    • nf2g
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 25, 2014
                        Thanks for that referral.  I just one-clicked it. :)

                        73 de Dave, NF2G