New Member

  • Ray Wells
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2012
      Hi All,
      I'm Ray vk2tv and I just wanted to introduce myself to the group. I've
      been a licenced op since 1969 and for the last 25 years 99% of my AR
      activities has been related to packet radio - I ran a big (6 port)
      BBS/node system for near 14 years but with the decline in the use of
      connected mode packet I moved towards aprs where I ran a 3 port gateway
      for a few years. Since moving to a smaller location (I was on 25 acres)
      I've had to downsize a bit and also attempt to reduce my energy input
      requirements for the gateway. Those requirements took me in the
      direction of the RPi which is using dixprs to provide the gateway
      facility which currently has 2 vhf ports - 145.175 (VK national) and
      145.825 (satgate). 30m will again be added when I can get a dipole in
      the air. The 2 MFJ1270B TNC's will be replaced with TNC-X's as soon as I
      find time to build the kits.

      To date, the RPi has tended to be unreliable - working for up to 10 days
      before crashing with network failure. I use wifi to connect to my LAN
      due to the RPI being away from the house. I "think" I finally tracked
      the network issue to noisy 12/5v smps's. When I finally managed to check
      supply voltages with a CRO, one adaptor had a sawtooth output and the
      other had short, deep drops below 4.5v. I am currently running from a
      2.1A plugpack, the one that came with my USB hub. It has a respectably
      clean output. The RPi is powered from the hub and has now been running
      for 9 days so fingers crossed.

      That'll do fro now.

      Ray vk2tv