anybody used the 26 pin socket for anything ham related

  • James Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 27, 2012
      i was wondering if anybody had used the 26pins for anything. cor, tor, ptt ?

      anybody tried direct interface into a radio. i was mainly curios about making it an analog repeater controller and i know it should work fine as a dstar gateway and controller.

      james
      kd5oxm
    • siegfried jackstien
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 27, 2012
        Not yet ready .. bt what i plan is a rf frontend for dvbt sticks (preamp and
        selectable filters) ... the gpio is then used to switch filters etc.

        Dg9bfc

        Sigi

        > -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

      • David Kjellquist
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 27, 2012
          Whenever you are interfacing the GPIO the safe route is to use buffering circuits since the pins can only sink a few milliamps. A simple 2n2222 transistor is a great driver. I'm using a uln2003a darlington chip as a relay driver.

          As input, the 3.3v GPIO is NOT forgiving of a 5v logic. Thus, level conversion is necessary.

          Checkout
          http://elinux.org/RPi_Tutorial_EGHS:GPIO_Protection_Circuits

          for lots of ideas.

          On 12/27/2012 1:17 PM, siegfried jackstien wrote:

          Not yet ready .. bt what i plan is a rf frontend for dvbt sticks (preamp and
          selectable filters) ... the gpio is then used to switch filters etc.

          Dg9bfc

          Sigi

        • Matthew Pitts
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 27, 2012

            James,

            I haven't tried it yet, but the pcrepeatercontroller software from Jonathan G4KLX contains code to use the GPIO to key a transmitter that should be usable with the Analogue Repeater module; some reports suggest there might be issues with the audio, but I'm not so sure unprocessed audio will be affected. I can test over the weekend and report back on what I find out.

            Matthew Pitts
            N8OHU

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 28, 2012
              I would only comment that the serial I/O (GND, TXD, RXD) which are device /dev/ttyAMA0 are excellent for serial control of CAT interface or data. There is no hardware handshaking but it works very reliably, better than a USB->RS-232 converter. Beware that these are all 3.3V I/O and will be damaged if 5V or above as applied. You will need a level converter. A MAX3232 works well if powered from the GPIO 3.3V pin. You will need to remove this device from the /etc/gettydefs or it will only be available as a terminal connection.
              Dick G4BBH