power supply?

  • Beau
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 18, 2012
      Hi All,
      I need help picking a better power supply
      Im using a rev 2 pi
      sd is http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-14268
      with a powered usb hub http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/mo ... delID=3167
      this for wireless http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/831-3058
      an a griffin imic

      here is my current power supply http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/28-13055 i think i need more then 1 amp
      thanks for an advice

      Beau n9mfk
    • Mathison Ott
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 18, 2012
        You need to verify the voltage

        -----------------------
        With the power supply output at +5.17V I was getting on-board Ethernet errors and system hangs when one more device besides keyboard and mouse were plugged in to the on-board USB ports or an outboard powered USB HUB.

        Measuring the voltage across TP1 and TP2 on the Raspberry Pi and increased it to +4.97V (P.S output +5.59V).

        This helped alot!!!

        73
        kj6dzb
        Mathison

        On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Beau <n9mfk@...> wrote:

        Hi All,
        I need help picking a better power supply
        Im using a rev 2 pi
        sd is http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-14268
        with a powered usb hub http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/mo ... delID=3167
        this for wireless http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/831-3058
        an a griffin imic

        here is my current power supply http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/28-13055 i think i need more then 1 amp
        thanks for an advice

        Beau n9mfk

      • n9umj
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 18, 2012
          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Beau wrote:
          Beau

          Belkin makes several..Check out my posts regarding cards and perephials, If you have a radio shack near by , they have a 5v 2.6a gigiware 4 port usb that I've tested for a couple of weeks and seems to be very stable.

          I hope this is of help for you!

          Rick/n9umj

          Hi All,
          I need help picking a better power supply
          Im using a rev 2 pi
          sd ishttp://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-14268
          with a powered usb hubhttp://www.tripplite.com/en/products/mo ...
          delID=3167
          this for wirelesshttp://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/831-3058
          an a griffin imic

          here is my current power
          supplyhttp://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/28-13055i think i need more
          then 1 amp
          thanks for an advice

          Beau n9mfk
        • Robert Nickels
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 18, 2012
            I'm using one of those el-cheapo wall switching power supplies too, and
            while the DC coming out is fine, the garbage they radiate and conduct
            down the AC line is atrocious! Since I often use the Pi with my HF
            converter, I'm about ready to snip that cable in two and wire up an old
            open frame 5 volt linear power supply. I doubt there are many wallwart
            types with 1A capacity and I don't think I'd trust their regulation. I
            wish now I'd picked up a bushel-basket full of of 3-5A linear 5 volt
            supplies when they'd be in the dollar box under the hamfest tables!

            Just a suggestion to consider the EMI factor and how it might affect
            your use of the Pi around radios.

            73, Bob W9RAN
          • Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 19, 2012
              Also consider a 12V IN/5V OUT switching regulator board. Only a couple of bucks on eBay and will allow you to use in
              the vehicle or from the shack 12V supply.
              Mine are variable voltage at 3 amps.

              Nigel A. Gunn, 1865 El Camino Drive, Xenia, OH 45385-1115, USA. tel +1 937 825 5032
              Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF (was KC8NHF 9H3GN), e-mail nigel@... www http://www.ngunn.net
              Member of ARRL, GQRP #11396, QRPARCI #11644, SOC #548, Flying Pigs QRP Club International #385,
              Dayton ARA #2128, AMSAT-NA LM-1691, MKARS, GCARES, EAA382.
            • siegfried jackstien
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 19, 2012
                Better a series regulated unit (no switcher) cause those switchers can make
                a lot of rf noise ... even when filtered on input and output

                Dg9bfc

                Sigi

                Ps 7805 would do the job fine (available in several different current
                capabilities up to 5 amps)

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 19, 2012
                  Im using 1 1amp and 1 3amp regulator, this is how im able to set the voltage precisely.

                  I have 2 RPi on the 1amp unit and I run my servos power and web cam off the other.

                  once i set the voltage properly i noticed a performance increase.

                  mathison