Re: AW: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Pi as a "dongle server" for SDR

  • Robert Nickels
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 16, 2012
      Just as a follow-up on this, I thought I'd pass along some CPU
      utilization data (per TOP) for using the R-Pi as a dongle server. In
      other words, this is a Pi without any X or GUI, running rtl_tcp:

      1. Sample rate of 1,024,000 samples per second; avg 29%
      utilization, 5% memory
      2. Sample rate of 2,048,000 samples per second: avg. 60% CPU
      utilization, 5% memory

      This is the burden on the Pi for just taking I/Q data from the USB port
      and loading it into TCP packets. It would be interesting to know how
      this compares with a soundcard-based SDR, but it still seems to me we'll
      need access to the GPU in order to ever put a DSP on the Pi. If it can
      run Blu Ray video it ought to have the horses needed to run an SDR DSP.

      73, Bob W9RAN