Raspberry Pi model B+

  • John Hansen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 14, 2014
      You've probably heard by now that there is a new model Raspberry Pi (the B+) that has more I/O pins, more USB ports, and a few other changes.  You may be wondering how this effects the TNC-Pi.  Actually I've researching that issue today because I wanted to make sure the TNC-Pi wouldn't be obsolete by this.

      It turns out all add on boards for the Raspberry Pi will also work on the B+ version.  At some point (like when I run out of boards) I'll switch to a 40 pin header, but the current header on the board will work just fine with the new Pi.   Whew!

      One change that concerns me a bit is combining the audio and the analog video in the same connector.  It looks like those that want to use these on the new Pi will have to build/buy an adapter.  It was so easy plugging an RCA video cable directly into the Pi.

      John Hansen W2FS
      Coastal ChipWorks
    • Scott Roberts - KK4ECR
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 15, 2014
        I am glad they have updated the board and added the additional USB ports, but I do not plan on making the leap until they add more processor and memory.

        I am looking at the Hummingboard (http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/03/hummingboard-solid-run/).  It loooks like it may be a great way to go if it will handle the all the additions we have put on our Raspberry Pi devices.

        Scott, KK4ECR
      • Matthew Pitts
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 15, 2014
          John,

          That new composite output design does create some potential issues, but at the same time does make it easier to work with. One possible source for adapters that would work is older video cameras; I have the A/V cable for mine, but have not yet bought one of the B+ model Raspberry Pi computers.

          Matthew Pitts
          N8OHU

          On July 14, 2014 4:41:53 PM AST, "John Hansen coastalchip@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO]" <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

        • Bill Vodall
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 15, 2014

            > One change that concerns me a bit is combining the audio and the analog video in the same connector. It looks like those that want to use these on the new Pi will have to build/buy an adapter. It was so easy plugging an RCA video cable directly into the Pi.

            Hopefully that's the same combined cable used by many modern, but not
            HDMI modern, devices like portable DVD players. This will eliminate a
            couple adapters and a small jumper to make the cable between the RPI
            and Player much simpler.

            Bill
          • schuman.charles
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2 11:23 AM
              I have such an adaptor right here on my desk.
              It came with a protable DVD player.
              The plug end has three rings and a tip connection.
              The other end splits into three RCA jacks.
              I've seen the plug on Adafruit, but I suspect that it won't be long before the
              cable assembly will be available.

              As for the GPIO connections... The first 26 pins have not changed.
              As long as your header matches up with those pins you will be OK.

              <<Charley>>
                  k4gbb
            • Ronny Julian