GPS NMEA monitor software for the Pi

  • Douglas N. Baker
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 19, 2014
      Hello All,
      Anyone in the group know of a good GPS receiver software program for monitoring the NMEA data sent by a GPS receiver? I have looked on the net and found some Linux programs that display the position on maps but I have not found anything that will just a simple display of the basic S/N levels, lat/long, etc. Had thought this should be simple but I haven't found any such so far. Thanks...
      Doug, k4cle
    • max wheatley
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 19, 2014
        The NMEA data just streams as ASCII text, so you should be able to "see"
        it in a terminal session

        For serial number I guess you need to send the GPS a command also simple
        ASCII.... I have no idea what...

        I guess the NMEA command set is defined some where on the www ...

        Max

        On 20/06/2014 06:15, 'Douglas N. Baker' kfourcle@...
        [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:
        > Hello All,
        > Anyone in the group know of a good GPS receiver software program for monitoring the NMEA data sent by a GPS receiver? I have looked on the net and found some Linux programs that display the position on maps but I have not found anything that will just a simple display of the basic S/N levels, lat/long, etc. Had thought this should be simple but I haven't found any such so far. Thanks...
        > Doug, k4cle
        >

        > ------------------------------------
        > Posted by: "Douglas N. Baker" <kfourcle@...>
        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > (Please trim inclusions from previous messages)
        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > Yahoo Groups Links

        > Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)
        > .

      • kfourcle
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 19, 2014
          Hi Max, Yes, I can see the ASCII strings on my Pi using Minicom. So I know the NMEA data sentences are there. I just need a linux program to parse the data and put it into a human readable display, something like VisualGPS which works for that horrible OS known as Windows! Thanks, Doug, k4cle
        • James French
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 19, 2014
            Have you checked out gpsd yet?

            I know it gives the base level of outputs but as for S/N,
            I didn't notice that.

            Nice thing about gpsd is that it can be accessed by
            any other program via TCP. Looking at using it to
            provide a basic ntp server for me for when I do not
            have Internet access to keep times up to date for
            meteor scatter and FSK144/JT usage.

            James W8ISS

            On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 2:15 PM, 'Douglas N. Baker' kfourcle@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Hello All,
            Anyone in the group know of a good GPS receiver software program for monitoring the NMEA data sent by a GPS receiver? I have looked on the net and found some Linux programs that display the position on maps but I have not found anything that will just a simple display of the basic S/N levels, lat/long, etc. Had thought this should be simple but I haven't found any such so far. Thanks...
            Doug, k4cle

          • Stephen Farthing
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 19, 2014
              Doug,

              Google is your friend here. From a search I found this article which is a good start :-

              You may have to write some code in Python to get exactly what you want. One of the issues is that there is no common way to put every GPS into NMEA mode. I have some Motorola ones and an some Trimble ones and they all require a different string to be sent to the GPS to put it into NMEA mode. Both have various proprietary modes as well as NMEA.

              Hope this helps,

              Steve G0XAR

            • Andy Pevy

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 20, 2014