Is this yahoo group stuck?

  • David R. Hassall
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2014
      Dear Members,

      I have not seen a message since May 31... It it stuck... or did everyone go
      sleep?? I found a neat book on some sight and ordered it from Amazon..
      It is called "Raspberry Pi for Secret Agents.... Very interesting... for a
      beginner like me...

      Take care and have fun...
      73 Dave
      David R. Hassall WA5DJJ
      WEBSITE: http://www.zianet.com/dhassall/

      ---
    • James French
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2014
        Hey Dave.

        I know the book and have read it when I could check it from the local library here.

        I posted a link for downloading a pdf file of the book if you want to have it on your puter to
        read a few weeks ago when we had a discussion about the Motion software and install.

        This may not be the same link I posted in the other message but you can download it here:
        http://files.glou.org/it-ebooks/Raspberry%20Pi%20for%20Secret%20Agents.pdf

        Run your virus program before opening just to make sure it does not download a virus
        or malware onto your system. That's the one good thing about running Linux here, I can
        do things that I would not dare do with a windoze system :) Doesn't mean I am not cautious,
        it's just that I don't nave to worry as much.

        Enjoy!

        James W8ISS
      • James French
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2014
          OH, btw!

          I do not condone the piracy of books but I do believe you should have the option to
          peruse any book to see if you want to purchase it or not. I have purchased a number
          of books in the past that I wish I had not because of them not being helpful for the
          reason I purchased it for.

          So support your local library so that you don't purchase anything that isn't what you
          needed :)

          Sorry if I have offended anyone and you haven't mentioned it yet.

          James W8ISS

          On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 7:44 AM, James French <w8iss1@...> wrote:
          Hey Dave.

          I know the book and have read it when I could check it from the local library here.

          I posted a link for downloading a pdf file of the book if you want to have it on your puter to
          read a few weeks ago when we had a discussion about the Motion software and install.

          This may not be the same link I posted in the other message but you can download it here:
          http://files.glou.org/it-ebooks/Raspberry%20Pi%20for%20Secret%20Agents.pdf

          Run your virus program before opening just to make sure it does not download a virus
          or malware onto your system. That's the one good thing about running Linux here, I can
          do things that I would not dare do with a windoze system :) Doesn't mean I am not cautious,
          it's just that I don't nave to worry as much.

          Enjoy!

          James W8ISS

        • S.S.W.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 7, 2014
            I was kind of wondering the same thing.  I got the same e-book you did and haven't had time to read it yet but it should prove to be pretty interesting!

            Thanks...Steve

            railcon@...

            KB9SVW

[...]

          • Bill-K6ACJ
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 9, 2014
              I'll post something ..... tonight is the monthly 2 meter transmitter hunt and participants are asked to run APRS to beacon their position. Although I have a 4 Line display on my TinyTrak4 APRS TNC to display the position information I prefer a LCD flat screen showing the map and hunt stations so out comes the RPi that I loaded Xastir to last year. If I recall, the Kantronics KPC-3 TNC needs a jumper for RTS and CTS control signal to enable it then I connected the TNC RX and TX RS-232 level signals thru a little eBay level converter for the RPi Host serial port 3.3V requirement. Further in the past I modified the RPi/Debian boot file where the host serial parameter is located. Xastir works well enough to display local signals on the map but I have never used a GPS with Xastir to transmit my location, for tonight I'll just receive only. A120 watt DC/AC inverter can power the LCD and RPi while mobile. If I recall there is a 'Y' cable for the KPC-3 TNC for GPS input.

              Anyway, this is my post for the group .... Bill K6ACJ

              Sent from my iPad