I got a Raspberry Pi Now what

  • cgoodman1980
    Message 1 of 7 , May 29, 2014
      I originally bought it and a Kantronics KPC3+ so I can do Packet radio and not have to lug around my laptop.

      This is primarily for races that we support on an island.

      What is a good software to use? Good 12v Monitor? Good small keyboard? Think typing primarily just runner numbers.

      Is there a way to set up a program to where all you do is punch in runner numbers and the computer automatically pairs it with the time of entry?

      Thanks

      73

      K6CMG-Christopher

    • Max Harper
      Message 2 of 7 , May 29, 2014
        Be careful using that KPC+ in Kiss mode as they are known for causing delayed packets. They work fine in command mode as a standalone digi..

        Max KG4PID

        Message 3 of 7 , May 29, 2014
          I had no intention of putting in KISS mode...Did it once...Had to do a hard reset to get it out of KISS mode.
          I intend to use it in COMMAND mode or as a digipeater.
        • k7ve
          Message 4 of 7 , May 30, 2014
          • k7ve
            Message 5 of 7 , May 30, 2014
            • k7ve
              Message 6 of 7 , May 30, 2014

                A repeater would not need an AMBE chip, but there are technology patent licensing issues with DMR.

                DMR Essentials Licensing Program - Motorola Solutions USA

              • jwlangner
                Message 7 of 7 , May 31, 2014

                  Is there a way to set up a program to where all you do is punch in runner numbers and the computer automatically pairs it with the time of entry?

                  Have you considered using APRStt?

                  "What is APRStt?" most people are probably wondering because it does not get much attention,  APRStt allows data entry into the APRS network with a touch tone pad.

                  For example, suppose the runners (or any other objects) could be represented by three digit numbers and locations by a single digit.  To report runner 12 is at location 7, just punch 0127# into the touch tone pad on an ordinary HT.  No special equipment needed for all of the people gathering information.   An APRStt gateway would be configured to recognize a four digit tone sequence as 3 digits for the runner and one digit for a predefined location.

                  This is automatically converted to an APRS Object Report with a name, location, time stamp, and optional status and comment.   Use your favorite APRS display application (APRSIS32. YAAC, SARTrack, Xastir,etc.) to accumulate and display the information.

                  Multiple implementations are available.  Here is one that runs on a Raspberry Pi:

                  http://home.comcast.net/~wb2osz/Version%201.0/APRStt-Implementation-Notes.pdf