Broadband-hamnet?

  • larry_kb8emd
    Message 1 of 6 , May 8, 2014

      I tried to ask this earlier but it didn't seem to get posted.

      I saw a Rpi hooked to a WIFI dongle with a Yagi antenna running some kind of

      program as a MESH node.

      Where can I get such a program?

      I'm very new at all this.

      Thanks

      Larry KB8EMD

    • Bill Vodall
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9, 2014

        > I saw a Rpi hooked to a WIFI dongle with a Yagi antenna running some kind of program as a MESH node.
        >
        > Where can I get such a program?
        >
        > I'm very new at all this.

        Do you have some local friends or acquaintances working with
        BBHN-MESH? That's the best way to get started.

        You'll want at least two other mesh 'nodes' (RPI, Ubiquity or WRT54G)
        to make it really play.

        You'll also have to make sure you have the right WIFI dongle. Some
        work - some are nothing but trouble.

        The 'MESH' is great - but the expectations need to be realistic.
        It's a very 'local' technology.

        Here's the links:

        BBHN home page: http://www.broadband-hamnet.org/

        The PI-MESH info: https://github.com/urlgrey/hsmm-pi and
        http://hsmmpi.wordpress.com/

        What little support there is for the hsmmpi is on Google+..

        Good luck!

        73
        Bill, WA7NWP
      • larry_kb8emd
        Message 3 of 6 , May 10, 2014
          Thanks Bill
          I have two Linksys routers running Broadband-hamnet
          and you are right about being local one can't or should not expect
          a low power 2.4 gig signal to go much more than a short distance
          even then it must be line-of-sight.
          I want to try a Ppi and a dongle I have with a yagi antenna, I used it when camping
          or on the boat to hit local WIFI nodes worked very well.
          Just curious to see if it will outperform the Linksys and their parabolic antennas.

          again thanks
          Larry KB8EMD
        • Kerry McKenzie
          Message 4 of 6 , May 10, 2014
            If you are looking for a cheap and very effective wifi link for ham net or similar i would segest taking a look at
            Ubiquity equipment, as i use it for customers wanting long haul links over many kilometres.
            see link below....oh and you will be very surprised at price under $80 US for most Nano stations

            http://www.ubiquitishop.com.au/109_nanobridge_m2.products

            regard Kerry VK4TUB

            --

            Kind Regards
            Kerry McKenzie

          • Mathison Ott

              Message 6 of 6 , May 11, 2014
                Larry look here

                Its a real good blog that will talk you through the download and setup
                of the image that is made available.

                A.