What APRS for RPi TNC-Pi not needing X

  • ferrymanr
    Message 1 of 9 , May 5, 2014

      Is there any command line APRS software for the RPi and TNC-Pi that simply handles APRS beaconing etc.  so that I can use the RPi simply as a mobile APRS source?    Running X and Xastir is overkill for my needs and just hogs resources.

      Dick G4BBH

      Message 2 of 9 , May 5, 2014

        I've used LinBPQ as a simple tracker. It is still overkill, but doesn't need X or use many resources.

        73, John G8BPQ

        Is there any command line APRS software for the RPi and TNC-Pi that simply handles APRS beaconing etc.  so that I can use the RPi simply as a mobile APRS source?    Running X and Xastir is overkill for my needs and just hogs resources.

        Dick G4BBH

      • siegfried jackstien
        Message 3 of 9 , May 5, 2014
          Using a raspi is overkill

          http://www.byonics.com/

          tiny tracker ...

          with or without gps available

          connect transceiver and gps and your aprs mobile setup is ready

          or use the microtrak rtg (ready to go) ...

          a complete aprs tracker and transmitter in a small housing

          nothing needed ...

          dg9bfc

          sigi

        • David Kjellquist
          Message 4 of 9 , May 5, 2014
            dixprs will  beacon, Igate and digipeat just fine on Raspberry Pi and TNC-pi.

            https://sites.google.com/site/dixprs/

            Dave,   WB5NHL

            On 5/5/2014 5:50 AM, g4bbh@... wrote:

            Is there any command line APRS software for the RPi and TNC-Pi that simply handles APRS beaconing etc.  so that I can use the RPi simply as a mobile APRS source?    Running X and Xastir is overkill for my needs and just hogs resources.

            Dick G4BBH

          • mb7usm
            Message 5 of 9 , May 6, 2014
              have you tried aprx, thats what i use for mb7usm and it does digi igate etc

              Cheers

              James.

            • ferrymanr
              Message 6 of 9 , May 6, 2014
                I know using the RPi looks like overkill but this little device already has other functions including handling a GPS and it seemed to be overkill to use a separate board for APRS as I do now with a PIC based APRS beacon.   For example I am using two GPS when I could just buse one if everything was on the RPi.
                I will have a good look at the other options that have been suggested.  Thanks for all the replies.
                Dick G4BBH
              • Sebastian Kruk
                Message 7 of 9 , May 9, 2014
                  Vy 73!  SP3TLU

                  Is there any command line APRS software for the RPi and TNC-Pi that simply handles APRS beaconing etc.  so that I can use the RPi simply as a mobile APRS source?    Running X and Xastir is overkill for my needs and just hogs resources.

                  Dick G4BBH

                • Max Harper
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 9, 2014
                    I don't think APRX can use a GPS. I just searched the manual and there is no mention of a GPS anywhere. I hope I'm wrong. I do use APRX as a digi / igate and it's great for that.

                    Max KG4PID

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 11, 2014

                      Yes, actually I have requested the developer of DIXPRS to make an update for DIXPRS with GPS capabilities.

                      However it would be really great if more people would request this feature on the DIXPRS forum:

                      https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/dixprs

                      I have already the DIXPRS running on Raspberry PI connected with a USB GPS receiver powered by a 6000 mAh accu. It runs about 8 hours.

                      However the DIXPRS software is not yet ready.

                      root@raspberrypi:~# lsusb
                      Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp.
                      Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
                      Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1546:01a5 U-Blox AG
                      Bus 001 Device 004: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]

                      Navilock NL-402U USB GPS / Galileo Receiver  (U-Block) is recognized by the linux kernel.

                      Actually I mentioned the developer to make it as a fully functional mobile iGate, as it is easy to add Nano Wifi stick in the Raspberry Pi and with a wifi tethering android mobile phone the mobile iGate would be ready.
                      At the beginning no need Smart Beaconing, normal periodic beacons would be enough to make the development easier.

                      73
                      Zsolt KI6UAV
                      SignalRaiders .com