Help planning Pi RMS hardware setup

  • Ronny Julian
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 14, 2012
      I have a Pi on order.

      For TNC I have a choice of a KPC-3 or an MFJ 1274 TNC. With that I know
      I would need a USB to serial. A friend also told me about the TNC-X USB
      so that may be possible.

      For internet I have a serial GPRS modem.
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825362024
      Has anyone tried a GPRS modem on a Pi?
      I will need a USB to Serail for this too.
      This is all that would be available at the site where the RMS packet
      station is going to be. There is very good GPRS service there. The
      reason I'm considering this is because it is a very good high ground for
      the RF.

      The radio will be a 40 watt 2 ch Radius mobile.

      I need all the help I can get as I have only played in the Windows world
      where Winlink is concerned. Thanks!

      Ronny
      K4RJJ
    • Bill Vodall
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 14, 2012
        > For TNC I have a choice of a KPC-3 or an MFJ 1274 TNC. With that I know
        > I would need a USB to serial. A friend also told me about the TNC-X USB
        > so that may be possible.

        For a server setup, like a PI system, having a TNC that's always in
        KISS mode and not switching out when you least expect it is a good
        thing. That's where the TNC-X or a TINY-2 with a KISS only EPROM
        work well.

        73
        Bill - WA7NWP
      • Mathison Ott
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 14, 2012
          Think about using an audio card, and use the I/O pins on the RPi for PTT.

          73
          Mathison kj6dzb
        • Robert Nickels
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 14, 2012
            I suspect this is well known to most everyone on this list, but the
            Raspberry Pi makes a dandy host for a DVB-T dongle when used to make a
            "Cheap and Easy SDR" like is described in my article in QST this
            month. Some folks report better results with the dongle plugged into
            a powered USB hub, but this is really more related to power supply
            capacity, and I've run several different brands of dongle both ways just
            fine.

            For anyone who isn't familiar - this approach uses a $20 DVB-T dongle
            (intended for watching digital TV in Europe and other countries using
            that standard) as a low cost SDR that can provide I/Q samples up to
            2.048 MBPS, or just over 2 Mhz of bandwidth. In contrast to
            soundcard-based SDRs, the samples arrive directly via USB. The
            drivers developed by Osmocom can be built on the R-Pi, so it can become
            a server of I/Q samples to any SDR radio app (DSP) that supports the
            proper drivers (e.g rtl_tcp) All tuning, AGC, RF gain, etc are
            controlled via ethernet and while my personal wi-fi is too sluggish,
            others report good results. I see no degradation of other ethernet
            performance on my wired LAN with the Pi spitting out 2 million samples
            per second, and it's not out of horsepower, either.

            A good starting point is: http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr as
            well as the other discussions on this topic on various forums. I've
            been meaning to write a step-by-step procedure but it's really a pretty
            straightforward build under Rasbian. You do need to be root or use
            sudo for most commands, and you'll want to configure the Pi to start ssh
            automatically so you can use putty or equivalent from the remote PC
            where the SDR client is running to start and stop it. I'd like to add
            the ability to remotely control the relay on my converter so that it can
            be switch from HF to V/UHF via ethernet as well.

            If anyone would like more information, please ask. With my HF Converter
            ahead of the dongle, this approach gives you a remote controllable all
            mode SDR that covers from close to DC through 1.7 Ghz for a cost of
            about $50, or $85 including the Pi.

            Until we get access to the GPU as a way to possibly use the Pi to run
            the DSP code, I think this is a logical partitioning of the task and
            it's really cool to have access to a full-coverage SDR from anywhere on
            your local network.

            73, Bob W9RAN
          • William Liporace - WC2L
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 14, 2012
              Hi Bob,
              I am very interested!! I already have a Pi... keep me in mind. I am a
              neophyte for Linux and etc. I did give a friend a Pi to see if we can get
              his Linux program (Linux contest logging) to run on it. Lots going on!

              As an FYI, I just got home. I have not read the article yet!!

              TNX Will WC2L

              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 14, 2012
                I assume the QST article will be in the December issue?

                Is it correct that the Pi simply acts to convert the IQ signals from the USB stick to the local area network consisting of one or more PCs? Does the Pi do any other processing of the IQ signals? I guess I should just wait for the new issue of QST.

                Rick

[...]

              • Ronny Julian K4RJJ
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 14, 2012
                  Is this a good idea for a remote site?  Stable as a TNC?

                  On 12/14/2012 3:22 PM, Mathison Ott wrote:

                  Think about using an audio card, and use the I/O pins on the RPi for PTT.

                  73
                  Mathison kj6dzb

                • Javier Henderson
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 15, 2012
                    The article is in the January 2013 issue, which is already available online.

                    My printed copy arrived a couple of days ago.

                    73,
                    -jav k4jh

                    On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM, Rick Simpson <goatguy101@...> wrote:

[...]

                  • siegfried jackstien
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 15, 2012
                      Hello bob

                      The raspi as a server for rtl is a nice thing ... so far so good

                      Do you know how to remotely control the gpio pins??

                      I am asking cause I wanna build a "filtered" preamp board (maybe with also a
                      shortwave converter) ... and for that I have to have a few pins selectable
                      (to change filters and other things)

                      The e4k is a bit deaf ... and a receiver with an iput as big as a barn door
                      .... so a low noise preamp (with high ip3 that is is not overloaded even on
                      strong signals) ... and then switched filters behind it ...

                      Then it should be a really GOOD SDR WITHOUT ANY FRONTEND OVERLOAD OR GHOST
                      SIGNALS

                      Dg9bfc

                      sigi

                    • siegfried jackstien
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 15, 2012
                        Rick .. the pi does only send raw iq data to pc ...

                        And in the other direction (from pc via pi to dongle) setting qrg, gain etc.

                        Dg9bfc

                        Sigi

                        (the pi does NO processing of the data)

                      • Robert Nickels
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 15, 2012
                          On 12/14/2012 9:27 PM, Rick Simpson wrote:
                          > Is it correct that the Pi simply acts to convert the IQ signals from
                          > the USB stick to the local area network consisting of one or more PCs?
                          > Does the Pi do any other processing of the IQ signals? I guess I
                          > should just wait for the new issue of QST.

                          Hi Rick,

                          Yes, my own copy just arrived yesterday, but due to space limitations I
                          wasn't able to mention the "dongle server" concept (plus it would have
                          probably been beyond the technical scope they are after). But your
                          description is correct - this approach makes the SDR into a
                          client/server app. The dongle attaches to the R-Pi and runs Osmocom's
                          "rtl_tcp" app, which provides a command interface via TCP to tune and
                          control the dongle parameters, and which packages the I/Q samples into
                          TCP packets. On the SDR (client) side (I use SDR# exclusively so
                          that's the only DSP app I can really comment on) - you select "rtl-tcp"
                          as the "front end" and specify the IP address of the R-Pi on your
                          network, and that's all there is to it. The tuning is usually just as
                          responsive as a direct USB connection, and the neat thing is you can now
                          go to any PC on your LAN and run SDR# and it will work just as if the
                          dongle was attached to that PC. Of course, only one user can be in
                          control at a time (although there's probably a way to do multi-user
                          control, which would be pretty neat in a school, for example). There
                          could be any number of remote dongle servers, linked via the internet to
                          do all sorts of interesting things!

                          A different SDR app (ghpsdr3) is based on a three-tiered client/server
                          architecture (rather than just two). The first is a "radio server"
                          similar to the above, but the DSP task is divided intoa "dsp server" and
                          a "GUI". This dsp server must run on a PC that has the necessary
                          processing power, but there are GUI clients for Android, iOS, WIndows,
                          Linux, etc. To be able to send the GUI over a network, the dsp
                          server creates a "low bandwidth version of the spectrum in 8 bit data,
                          the audio data 8-bit ALAW audio format at only 480 sample size at 10
                          times a second." You can find demos on Youtube that are really cool,
                          and I like this approach myself as it would make it possible to use
                          inexpensive tablets as your "walkie/talkie/lookie" SDR interface!
                          Also in this architecture, one Pi could act as the radio server and
                          another as the GUI, (assuming a suitable GUI client app existed - the
                          current jmonitor client is written in Java).

                          I just haven't had time to personally play with ghpsdr3 (or the "alex"
                          version) - but according to their wiki page, it supports " HPSDR,
                          Softrock, UHFSDR, Microtelecom Perseus, SDR-iq, HiQSDR, Ettus Research
                          USRP and rtl-sdr DVB-T dongles".

                          Without doubt, the SDR world is rapidly evolving so if you don't like
                          today's offerings, check back tomorrow! As they say, "it only takes
                          software".

                          73, Bob W9RAN
                        • Mathison Ott
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 15, 2012
                             Hi ALL,

                            This has been done in the ghpsdr3 project. Here is my site with whaty ive done with sdr's, previously.

                            There is a problem/do with project:....
                            1. At the moment the project hasnt tacked a a server that that can make conections from multible hardware servers (ie no mixing softrocks and HPSDR servers, on 1 server.
                            2. I have a some modified code for the RTL-server  hat will decetct multible rtl devises, but the code in the DSP server can take advantage of having 2 recevers.

                            Project Goals

                            1. Open source (GPL) SDR software

                            2. Client-server network-enabled by design from the ground up

                            3. Customized server for each SDR hardware type. Currently supporting HPSDR, Softrock, UHFSDR, Microtelecom Perseus, RFSPACE SDR-IQ, HiQSDR, Ettus Research USRP, and the rtl-sdr DVB-T dongle.

                            4. Single dspserver that connects to single server. However, each server can have multiple Rx and Tx channels.

                            5. Multiple clients, such as QtRadio, that can concurrently connect to a single dspserver.

                            6. Full Rx and Tx capability for hardware capable of Tx

                            ---------------------------------

                            Im working on a multi band SDR server. So i biult a enclosure with a softrock2 & 2 RTLSDR. It all runs on 120v--12v power and a USB port. This brings me to my next point. The SDR-wiget group has goten a few RPi up and running with the software, with mixed performance results results. I my self have never been able to get my two RPi and rtlsdrs in the same lab together. I should soon.

                            73 KJ6DZB

                          • Robert Nickels
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 15, 2012
                              On 12/15/2012 10:43 AM, siegfried jackstien wrote:

                              > Do you know how to remotely control the gpio pins??

                              Hi Siegfried,

                              Yes, in theory - but I've not got any hardware or software going yet.
                              Hopefully we'll find someone smarter at linux than I am who can help
                              with a simple app to toggle a few bits on/off so we can start to do
                              things like you've described.

                              > I am asking cause I wanna build a "filtered" preamp board (maybe with
                              > also a
                              > shortwave converter) ... and for that I have to have a few pins selectable
                              > (to change filters and other things)

                              A good idea. I was after the simplest and cheapest approach that would
                              provide acceptable performance for entry-level newbies. For example,
                              I'd love to see these things in classrooms to show kids what's really
                              out in the RF world we all take for granted nowadays. So that led me to
                              a minimalist design, but everything you describe is certainly doable and
                              "right" in terms of optimizing performance.

                              > The e4k is a bit deaf ... and a receiver with an iput as big as a barn
                              > door
                              > .... so a low noise preamp (with high ip3 that is is not overloaded
                              > even on
                              > strong signals) ... and then switched filters behind it ...

                              Well I'm a bit skeptical - the tuned LNA in the E4000 has really
                              impressed me. As an example, I'm hearing ADS-B "virtual radar" signals
                              from planes 100 miles away with no other LNA and just a collinear
                              vertical fed via 50 ft. of RG/GU. There's probably room for
                              improvement with a good preamp and filters, but it's pretty good as-is
                              IMHO for lots of uses.

                              You (and others) might be interested in the white papers from Elonics
                              (before they went out of business) that describe the "Digital Tune
                              Architecture" of the e4K chip - you can find them at goo.gl/suS2w
                              <http://goo.gl/suS2w> But from all indications, the Raphael R820T tuner
                              that is also supported works quite well too.

                              73, Bob W9RAN
                            • Rick Simpson
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 15, 2012
                                Complete info on manipulating the I/O pins is in the "Raspberry Pi User Guide" by Upton and Halfacree available from Amazon. It has complete Python code for what you want to do. I would also check the back issues of the Magpi, the free online RPi magazine.

                                Rick
                                On 12/15/2012 10:43 AM, siegfried jackstien wrote:

                                > Do you know how to remotely control the gpio pins??

                                Hi Siegfried,

                                Yes, in theory - but I've not got any hardware or software going yet.
                                Hopefully we'll find someone smarter at linux than I am who can help
                                with a simple app to toggle a few bits on/off so we can start to do
                                things like you've described.

                                > I am asking cause I wanna build a "filtered" preamp board (maybe with
                                > also a
                                > shortwave converter) ... and for that I have to have a few pins selectable
                                > (to change filters and other things)

                                A good idea. I was after the simplest and cheapest approach that would
                                provide acceptable performance for entry-level newbies. For example,
                                I'd love to see these things in classrooms to show kids what's really
                                out in the RF world we all take for granted nowadays. So that led me to
                                a minimalist design, but everything you describe is certainly doable and
                                "right" in terms of optimizing performance.

                                > The e4k is a bit deaf ... and a receiver with an iput as big as a barn
                                > door
                                > .... so a low noise preamp (with high ip3 that is is not overloaded
                                > even on
                                > strong signals) ... and then switched filters behind it ...

                                Well I'm a bit skeptical - the tuned LNA in the E4000 has really
                                impressed me. As an example, I'm hearing ADS-B "virtual radar" signals
                                from planes 100 miles away with no other LNA and just a collinear
                                vertical fed via 50 ft. of RG/GU. There's probably room for
                                improvement with a good preamp and filters, but it's pretty good as-is
                                IMHO for lots of uses.

                                You (and others) might be interested in the white papers from Elonics
                                (before they went out of business) that describe the "Digital Tune
                                Architecture" of the e4K chip - you can find them at goo.gl/suS2w
                                <http://goo.gl/suS2w> But from all indications, the Raphael R820T tuner
                                that is also supported works quite well too.

                                73, Bob W9RAN

                              • David Kjellquist
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 15, 2012
                                  Remote control of the GPIO pins can be accomplished several ways.

                                  1. Python socket programming with a simple client program communicating with a server on RPi. The server, also in Python, uses the RPi.GPIO module. Adafruit has several tutorials using python and RPi.GPIO  Socket programming isn't too difficult.
                                  2. Check out webiopi that provides a REST framework(  http://code.google.com/p/webiopi/ ) With a REST frame work you can either use a Python client executing POST/ GET commands with Python requests module. Or, via a simple web browser - javascript enabled web page. Both methods connect to webiopi running on Raspberry Pi.

                                  Python is good because it's available for almost any computing platform.

                                  I am in the process of completing a RPi wireless (WiFi) or wired (Ethernet) 1x6 100 watt antenna switch that will use any of these methods.

                                  Software and proto board hardware are working. Assembly of a finished switch will start after the holidays. I plan on submitting to QST.

                                  Dave,  WB5NHL

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 15, 2012
                                    On 12/15/2012 1:19 PM, David Kjellquist wrote:
                                    > I plan on submitting to QST

                                    Excellent Dave! I've thought of that to, and look forward to seeing
                                    what you come up with.

                                    73, Bob W9RAN
                                  • flask28
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 15, 2012
                                      I have used a KPC3+ (in kiss mode) and a TinyTrack4 with my Pi. The TT4 is 30% of the cost of the KPC3+ and it worked great. They both worked great, actually.

                                      I used the serial port on the Pi's GPIO pins rather than use a usb port.

                                      http://m0hpj.wordpress.com/tag/raspberrypi/

                                      Something along these lines. I got a $3 TTL to RS232 converter off ebay and it works great.

                                      I also worked with soundmodem for about three weeks, I was using a USB Signalink as my radio interface. It worked, for sure. But the packet decode success was 30% of what the hardware TNC's was, listening to APRS for example. I worked on tuning it for better performance for days and days but never really got it close to the TNC in terms of decode performance. Encoding and transmitting seemed to work fine though, and I moved winlink mail using soundmodem, so it at least sorta works.

                                      I overclocked the Pi to get fldigi working, and I noticed packet decode with soundmodem improved a ton at 1ghz vs 700mhz (as did fldigi decoding). But my Pi is completely unstable at that speed. The best stable speed this unit likes is 775mhz which didn't that much gain over the stock speeds.

                                      I say stick with a hardware TNC, either the TNC-X or the TT4. If you don't have other plans for the serial port on the GPIO header I'd use that over a usb/serial converter just for simplicity, but it seems like lots of guys are having success using converter or a usb TNC-X. So either is fine.

                                      Adam
                                      KF7LJH

                                      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ronny Julian K4RJJ <k4rjj@...> wrote:

                                      > Is this a good idea for a remote site? Stable as a TNC?
                                      >
                                      > On 12/14/2012 3:22 PM, Mathison Ott wrote:
                                      > > Think about using an audio card, and use the I/O pins on the RPi for PTT.
                                      > >
                                      > > http://www.linux-ax25.org/wiki/Soundmodem
                                      > >
                                      > > 73
                                      > > Mathison kj6dzb

                                    • Mathison Ott
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 15, 2012

                                        WB5NHL, Keep me posted, i have a few sample switching relays, from the UHFSDR project.

                                        I am in the process of completing a RPi wireless (WiFi) or wired (Ethernet) 1x6 100 watt antenna switch that will use any of these methods.

                                        dose your project have a web interface? for comand, it would make running multible switches EZ.
                                        ----------------------------

                                        Ive been biulding big and small Pan/Tilt heads for a bit now, and with the RPi running Gpredict, code to interface with the USB servo controler would make for a satalite tracking or antenna rotator, A scensor package could add Gyro and magnetic north atharithmic tracking refinment, as well as a s/w r read from an I/O pin.

                                        73 Kj6dzb
                                        Mathison

                                      • K2DMS
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 15, 2012
                                          I wonder if the ArgetData OTUSB can be used with the Pi over USB? It emulates serial connection and has AGC for the receive audio in the latest firmware. Around $40.

                                          Danny
                                          K2DMS

                                          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "flask28" <kf7ljh@...> wrote:

                                          > I have used a KPC3+ (in kiss mode) and a TinyTrack4 with my Pi. The TT4 is 30% of the cost of the KPC3+ and it worked great. They both worked great, actually.
                                          >
                                          > I used the serial port on the Pi's GPIO pins rather than use a usb port.
                                          >
                                          > http://m0hpj.wordpress.com/tag/raspberrypi/
                                          >
                                          > Something along these lines. I got a $3 TTL to RS232 converter off ebay and it works great.
                                          >
                                          > I also worked with soundmodem for about three weeks, I was using a USB Signalink as my radio interface. It worked, for sure. But the packet decode success was 30% of what the hardware TNC's was, listening to APRS for example. I worked on tuning it for better performance for days and days but never really got it close to the TNC in terms of decode performance. Encoding and transmitting seemed to work fine though, and I moved winlink mail using soundmodem, so it at least sorta works.
                                          >
                                          > I overclocked the Pi to get fldigi working, and I noticed packet decode with soundmodem improved a ton at 1ghz vs 700mhz (as did fldigi decoding). But my Pi is completely unstable at that speed. The best stable speed this unit likes is 775mhz which didn't that much gain over the stock speeds.
                                          >
                                          > I say stick with a hardware TNC, either the TNC-X or the TT4. If you don't have other plans for the serial port on the GPIO header I'd use that over a usb/serial converter just for simplicity, but it seems like lots of guys are having success using converter or a usb TNC-X. So either is fine.
                                          >
                                          > Adam
                                          > KF7LJH
                                          >
                                          > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ronny Julian K4RJJ <k4rjj@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Is this a good idea for a remote site? Stable as a TNC?
                                          > >
                                          > > On 12/14/2012 3:22 PM, Mathison Ott wrote:
                                          > > > Think about using an audio card, and use the I/O pins on the RPi for PTT.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > http://www.linux-ax25.org/wiki/Soundmodem
                                          > > >
                                          > > > 73
                                          > > > Mathison kj6dzb

                                        • Robert Nickels
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 16, 2012
                                            Just as a follow-up on this, I thought I'd pass along some CPU
                                            utilization data (per TOP) for using the R-Pi as a dongle server. In
                                            other words, this is a Pi without any X or GUI, running rtl_tcp:

                                            1. Sample rate of 1,024,000 samples per second; avg 29%
                                            utilization, 5% memory
                                            2. Sample rate of 2,048,000 samples per second: avg. 60% CPU
                                            utilization, 5% memory

                                            This is the burden on the Pi for just taking I/Q data from the USB port
                                            and loading it into TCP packets. It would be interesting to know how
                                            this compares with a soundcard-based SDR, but it still seems to me we'll
                                            need access to the GPU in order to ever put a DSP on the Pi. If it can
                                            run Blu Ray video it ought to have the horses needed to run an SDR DSP.

                                            73, Bob W9RAN