Intermittent Ethernet ??

  • jedscoot
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28 2:47 PM

      I am experiencing a frustrating time with my PI(s) and I'm hoping someone can help me solve my problem.

      I have FPAC/Netrom and have been getting Netrom connects but no AX25 connects, except from RF ; to try and find why this was happening I made
      another copy of my exisiting system and connected the two on the same network, changed callsigns of course !! The result was the same, Netrom showing connected
      with AX25 not ( connection pending ).  However a ROSE connection did work..

      The next move was to update Wheezy and that's when the real problem arose.  The Ethernet connection drops every few minutes ; when it's up I can
      send as many " pings " as I like and it will respond, I can connect via SSH although as soon as I send the password the connection drops.

      I'm guessing that there is something different in the latest Wheezy, any thoughts would be appreciated.

      73,
      Ian..

    • Clay Jackson
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2014

        I saw the same thing with a Wireless connection on my PiIRLP.    I basically gave up after several attempts; but may try again after an upgrade.

        One thing I DID notice was that if I tried to connect both a wired and wireless Internet connection at the same time; the WIRELESS connection somehow created an ARP entry that had the MAC address of the WIRED interface (but the IP of the Wireless interface).    Very strange.

        Clay

        N7QNM
        IRLP Node 3230

        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2014
          > One thing I DID notice was that if I tried to connect both a wired and wireless Internet
          > connection at the same time; the WIRELESS connection somehow created an ARP entry that had
          > the MAC address of the WIRED interface (but the IP of the Wireless interface). Very strange.

          Connecting two interfaces to the same network can cause a
          misconfiguration which can then make either totally fail. There is a
          special way to configure a system when using both interfaces
          simultaneously on the same network.

          Consider that the Pi must determine which interface to use to reply.

          If *both* interfaces are on 192.168.1.0 for example and a packet is
          received from 192.168.1.10, how does it know which to use to reply, the
          wired or the wireless ?

          If you wish to go down this road, you must either use different networks
          (one option would be to 'subnet'), or configure the Pi for 'bridging' as
          is used by most home broadband routers that have both a built-in hub and
          Wifi.

          Google is your fiend...bridging...subnet...
        • james
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2014
            The pi will not allow both interfaces to be active simultaneously. I wrote a script to circumvent this.
            I am working on a it project ill post the script later this evening.

            Jim wu3v

            Please excuse any typo's that my iPhone has generated.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2014

              I thought there might be something weird like that.

              Thanks!   Looking forward to the script!

              Clay

              N7QNM