Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Premature PI shut down

  • Lucian Langa
    Message 1 of 47 , Dec 11, 2012
      On Tue, 2012-12-11 at 20:26 +0000, kc2eq wrote:

      > Thanks to all for replying to my original post. My friend (AC2HE) had
      > two different Vb PI's. one was rock steady right out of the box and
      > the other one had to be replaced , twice. Some think that there is a
      > higher failure rate if the board comes from china and the not the UK
      > where it seems they have better quality control. In any case
      > everything external was swapped from the working PI to the bad one and
      > it kept quitting. Ergo, something was overheating or changing on the
      > PCB. Light pressure ( board flexing), temp checks, freeze spray
      > application,made no difference .

      Now that you've mentioned this, I think I have the same problem on a B
      model. Its 'shutdown' time varies from 5 mins to a 30 minutes but mostly
      it's somewhere between the first 5-10 mins. And everything external was
      tested/changed as your case. I found the only method to get it working
      is to warmup the CPU, literally. Try to run something CPU intensive eg.
      a recursive ls or a dd operation, something that keeps load high
      anyway( 1.0 should be fine). I run this for 10 mins or so and
      presto...it stays up for days. Keeping the RPI unused for a few days
      it's back to the same behavior.
      Of course, if this is the case you should send it back right away and
      get it replaced. I cannot do mine since I already voided the warranty by
      changing the headers on it.
      73, lucian yo6plb
      Message 47 of 47 , Feb 2, 2013
        Hi folks.

        The pi port of BPQ32 is about ready for testing. There are sure to be problems with it still, but if anyone is willing to try it please let me know. At least to start, I suggest testers should be familiar with BPQ32, and have a basic knowledge of linux commands - this isn't really something for those new to either BPQ or linux to play with at this stage.
        The basic features are:

        Has been tested on Raspberry PI and Ubuntu running on a PC.
        BPQ32 compatible Node, includng the APRS Digi/Igate feature
        Uses standard bpq32.cfg
        Drivers for KISS, AXIP, BPQEther, Telnet, SCS Tracker, SCSPTC. I2C Driver for PITNC on the PI. Others to follow.
        Includes the BBS part of BPQMailChat (not chat).
        BBS Configuration and BBS/Node monitoring via a Web interface.

        The instructions for installing BPQ on linux can be downloaded from https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/InstallingLINBPQ.htm

        73,
        John G8BPQ