Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Rapsberri and APRS Setup Question

  • max
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 24, 2014
      Prehaps you might like to look at something a bit newer that is still being developed......

      Max

      On 24/04/2014 11:47 a.m., n6hpx_du1@... wrote:

        I have a question on the use of a Raspberry Pi and whether anyone has used it for APRSSetup.

        I would like to use one with the APRS UI/VIEW 32 System.

        Has anyone got any info on this info as I plan to setup one with my station in the Philippines

        Thanks

        Larry Fields,du1/n6hpx

      Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)

      Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)

    • Mike Brogan
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 24, 2014
        UI-view is a Windows program only and since the author has died and the source code destroyed there is absolutely no prospect of a linux version becoming available............

        --
        Mike Brogan

        g8jhe@...
        g8jhe.radio@...
      • sprovost64
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 25, 2014

          Max: I am interested about your comment listed below.

          can you elaborate for us please?
          thanks!
          stephen

          Re: Rapsberri and APRS Setup Question

          Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:41 am (PDT) . Posted by:

          "max" max_wheatley

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 25, 2014
            Hi Stephen

            Well as someone else pointed out a little more harshly that I was prepared too...

            - The guy who wrote UIview is dead
            - He ordered the source code destroyed on his death
            - Its windows only

            And the map support doesn't exist for local grids.

            In the very near future I am deploying a Pi in my car and the plan is to run YAAC on it. As YAAC is Java it is really platform independent.. .... so if your OS, be it OSX, Windows, Android IOS as long as it rung Java you are away laughing ....

            No support for local grids yet but at least uses OSM which is a good start.

            Currently only for windows is SARTrack which does close to everything you might want but windows only and GPS integration with GPX only .....

            Hope that gives you some more ideas....

            Max

            On 26/04/2014 00:09, stprovost@... wrote:

            Max: I am interested about your comment listed below.

            can you elaborate for us please?
            thanks!
            stephen

            Re: Rapsberri and APRS Setup Question

            Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:41 am (PDT) . Posted by:

            "max" max_wheatley

            Prehaps you might like to look at something a bit newer that is still
            being developed......

            Max
            ________________________________________________________________________ Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com) .

            Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)

          • Andy McMullin
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 26, 2014
              Stephen et al,

              Just to add that as well as SARTrack for Windows, there is AGWTracker which is still under development. That one includes a range of mapping options and is very versatile but, as said, also Windows and Windows-CE only.

              For Unix there's Xastir but that is very American-centric with poor mapping options outside the USA. Inside the USA you've lots of choice for map sources but of the 125-odd formats claimed hardly any seem to be accurate for Europe so it depends where you're interested in. However, I don't seem to have seen any updates in the last year so I couldn't swear it can be classed as "still being developed". BUT it is native for the Pi.

              I hope this helps.

              --
              Regards
              Andy, G8TQH

[...]

            • Ronny Julian

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 26, 2014
                  Wow!  The only reason I can think of to order my code be destroyed when I die is if I was ashamed of it.  Otherwise, I'd want to either leave someone in charge of upgrades and collecting money, and specify that they keep a percent of the registration fees, the remainder be turned over to my wife.  That, or just release it all to source forge and make it free.

                  --
                  KF5QEO
                  John Guillory

                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 26, 2014
                    Hi,

                    Whilst I agree that YAAC is multi-platform and does some things quite well, again I find the mapping isn't so hot. Downloading the tiles then importing/converting takes a deal of processing time -- and then in my case the land/sea boundary is not shown at all with the defaults of the program. Living by the seaside means the maps I see are somewhat weird!

                    I can send you a screen-shot if you like -- there is no boundary to the country just rivers appearing out of nowhere! The official pre-complied tiles don't seem to show anything when I try and download them, the whole planet set just wouldn't download, so this is with gz tiles from the extracts at geofabrik.de - Europe/Great Britain.

                    Of course, your part of the world might be better served!

                    --
                    Regards
                    Andy, G8TQH

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 26, 2014
                      Hi Andy

                      You have looked at them in some other viewer other than YAAC ???? like is it a map, YAAC or Pi problem.

                      Don't forget that if it is a map problem I am sure the OSM guys would welcome your input.

                      Hey, if little old ZL is reasonably well covered I am sure your part of the world must be much better.

                      Max

                      On 27/04/2014 02:53, Andy McMullin wrote:
[...]

                    • Ray Wells
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 26, 2014
                        Sir, your advice regarding xastir couldn't be any less accurate if you tried, and you have grossly mislead this group.

                        Xastir has support for more mapping formats than, arguably, any other aprs program. Note! Mapping formats. Whether maps for those formats are available in any particular country is a matter for that country to sort out, not the xastir developers, but I doubt the vast majority of users would want anything outside the formats that are natively handled by xastir, regardless of where in the world they live. America as a country seems to produce a greater variety of free mapping than most anywhere else, it would seem, but it's hardly fair, and totally incorrect,  to say that xastir is "American-centric with poor mapping options outside the USA."

                        My preference is for raster maps, usually topographic, in jpg, png or tif formats and many of the maps I use are those I used with UIView about 100 years ago. I simply used the inf2geo tool that ships with xastir to convert the UIView .inf description file to a .geo description file. Nothing else needs to be done. If you can use a particular map in UIView you can use it in xastir.  I've scanned paper topographic maps to jpg format and manually created a geo reference file from coordinates on the map, I've downloaded maps from the Internet and used the same procedure; used shapefiles (which I don't like) and I've used (use) online free mapping. All the foregoing is natively handled by xastir in a standard release.

                        As for updates, xastir is under constant development and issues are promptly fixed with CVS releases. Most users of an application would see a lack of updates as a sign of stability and maturity, and that is certainly the case with xastir.  If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Members of the development team subscribe to the xastir mailing list and readily offer help and advice to users in strife and, if a bug should arise it is dealt with very quickly.

                        I'm not American, I have no connection with the xastir development team (except I've called for advise occasionally in years gone by), but I am a long term user of xastir (since release 1.04, about 12 or so years ago when I ran it on a 166MHz Pentium under vanilla Debian). I compiled and run it on my desktop computer (Linux Mint), compiled and run it under Linux Mint Debian Edition on my laptop,  and I have compiled and used it on the RPi. I no longer use it on the RPi for the aprs gateway (because I run it headless as command line only) but I will always use it for non-gateway aprs because I believe it's the best available.

                        Ray vk2tv

                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 27, 2014
                              There's a big difference between "I can't get the program to work" and "the program is no good", I'm sure you'll agree.

                              To Ronny, and anybody else having difficulty with xastir .... ask for help! There are people on this list who use xastir and who may be able to help, but the best place for help, the place where both new and experienced users, and developers hang out is the xastir mailing list.

                              <quote>
                              This is a reminder, sent out once a month, about your lists.xastir.org
                              mailing list memberships.  It includes your subscription info and how
                              to use it to change it or unsubscribe from a list.

                              You can visit the URLs to change your membership status or
                              configuration, including unsubscribing, setting digest-style delivery
                              or disabling delivery altogether (e.g., for a vacation), and so on.

                              In addition to the URL interfaces, you can also use email to make such
                              changes.  For more info, send a message to the '-request' address of
                              the list (for example, mailman-request@...) containing
                              just the word 'help' in the message body, and an email message will be
                              sent to you with instructions.

                              If you have questions, problems, comments, etc, send them to
                              mailman-owner@....  Thanks!
                              <etouq>

                              Ray vk2tv

                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 27, 2014
                                Other than my mapping problem, I also think it's definitely on the right lines.

                                I think the use of java giving easy install and multiple operating systems is a great idea. The wizard configuration to set it up is good too. I also loved the way it just worked with both my TNC and aprs-is without any messing around. When I tried it, messaging worked well as did query.

                                My map issue is probably related to the sea not being coloured but rather having the same colour as the generic map background. The same maps displayed (from online sources rather than precompiled) in SARTrack and AGWTracker look just fine. I'd like to be able to delete all the objects in one go -- so as to remove them from my map -- but that's a local problem related to the transmission of "duff" objects around here. I also like to be able to get more information about a source (station or object) by clicking on it or something rather than opening the station list and hunting for it. And I don't understand why it downloads 638 fonts every time I start it (according to the preferences tab)!

                                But it's still a beta and being improved on a regular basis! So all these things will come if people ask for them. It's definitely a product to use if you can.

                                --
                                Regards
                                Andy, G8TQH

[...]

                              • Rob McPeak

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 27, 2014
                                    Ray I see no difference when it is not working.  I'm not going to bother trying anymore to cobble the thing together when YAAC works better out of the box for me. Why does the community have an old repository version if that is not the latest and greatest?  Why is  compiling from source even needed if the group wants this to be a widely used program?  I don't see FLDigi having these issues?  I install XUbuntu
                                     on a friends machine and that is the first program I get for them.  Always works great from the start.

                                    It is what works for me that counts with me.  You will not change my mind on that.

                                    Ronny
                                    K4RJJ

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 28, 2014
                                          On 4/26/2014 6:53 AM, John Guillory wrote:
                                          Wow!  The only reason I can think of to order my code be destroyed when I die is if I was ashamed of it.  Otherwise, I'd want to either leave someone in charge of upgrades and collecting money, and specify that they keep a percent of the registration fees, the remainder be turned over to my wife.  That, or just release it all to source forge and make it free.

                                          --
                                          KF5QEO
                                          John Guillory
                                          Cell: 601-754-9233
                                          Pinger: 337-240-7890
                                          Google Voice: 601-265-1307

                                          Agreed.
                                          But you have to honor the wishes of the deceased.

                                          --
                                          All the Best & 73's
                                          Dale Miller, KC2CBD

                                          Registered Linux User: #317401
                                          Linux since June 2003
                                          Registered Ubuntu User #26423

                                          stpatrick3spam@...
                                          stpatrick2spam@...
                                          stpatrick3spam@...
                                          bdchimneysweepspam@...

                                          (cut the spam to reply)

                                          __

                                        • Andy McMullin
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 28, 2014
                                            Rob,

                                            Thanks for that idea.

                                            Downloading then turning on the topographic now shows the difference between land and sea (although the line around the coast doesn't match the shading of the land).

                                            The bad news is that the local roads have now all disappeared! I guess the colour schemes don't match too well. And if I move the centre of attraction around (drag the map) it takes some time for the topo shading of land/sea to reappear.

                                            However, it's a step in the right direction. At least I can see the difference between the wet stuff and the dry stuff now :-)

                                            --
                                            Regards
                                            Andy, G8TQH

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 28, 2014
                                              The following is in no way intended as criticism of the late Roger Barker, so don't bother misreading what I have written. Roger wrote some brilliant software and that it is still in use and sought after, ten years after his death, is testimony to its quality.

                                              Roger Barker was quite pedantic about his software, taking exceptional care to ensure it worked extremely well. He also had his own ideas on how things should or shouldn't be done on air, even to the point of being a "Packet Policeman"* within his software. It took him quite a long time to bend and add Telnet to his Winpack packet terminal program, such was his belief that Telnet was not amateur radio. Even when he added Telnet he did so reluctantly.

                                              Knowing what I do of Roger, from his own writings (go read the help documentation for Winpack and UIView), I suspect he wanted the source code for his software destroyed on his death to prevent it being massaged into something he would not have approved of. He was, and had every reason, to be proud of his software.

                                              Ray vk2tv
                                              One time user of both Packet and UIView

                                              * In the hey day of Packet Radio there were individuals who went to great length to tell others how they should operate, even to the point, in some cases, of turning off equipment to thwart those who would not comply. Operators who conducted themselves in those ways were known as Packet Policemen.

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 28, 2014
                                              Andy -

                                              I took a quick look through the menus for YAAC, and didn’t see a way to change the colors.  However, for me, things are easy to see - with the possible exception of the actual shoreline (cyan on a green background).  Here’s what it looks like for me:

                                              For what it’s worth, I see the same behavior with the topo information taking a while to load when you change the center point or zoom level.

                                              73,
                                              Rob, KG7HIZ

                                              Message 24 of 26 , Apr 29, 2014
                                                I also had dealings with Roger and agree with Ray -- I also don't think he wanted his work to be modified to change it to do things of which he would not approve.

                                                You can still look at his old UI-View web pages from a mirror site kept in his memory at:

                                                Have a look at his comments about Windows and PCs!

                                                --
                                                Regards
                                                Andy, G8TQH