TNC-PI Help please

  • bluewizard93@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 6, 2014
      Hello All,
          I appreciate you all taking the time to read and respond.  I have recently put together 2 TNC-PI's.  These are my first real attempt at putting together a kit.  (My last one was over 10 yrs ago and only a little LED Christmas Tree)

      I finally hooked up a radio yesterday but don't have any joy.  I am going to list what I have done here.  I also only have a multi-meter for test equipment.

      I picked up an OLD Yaesu CAT-2500 yesterday at a local hamfest.  The radio works and I am able to transmit and receive on it no problem.

      I wired up what I believe are the connectors from the 4 pins on the TNC PI.  (1,3,5,6) to the radio.

      When I key up the radio I do hear a tone on another radio I have with both TNC-Pi's.

      TNC-PI 1:
      When I send a packet on one of my other setups (TH-72A or PK-88/Radio combo) I see the yellow light come on.
      I tried: sudo minicom -b 19200 -o -D /dev/ttyAMA0
      and got some squiggles but no one ones appeared at all when packets came in.
      Minicom also showed offline.

      TNC-PI 2:
      The yellow light does not always come on when a packet happens.
      I tried:  sudo minicom -b 19200 -o -D /dev/ttyAMA0  I didn't see any data.
      minicom also showed off line.

      All Cases:

      I do the kiss attach /dev/ttyAMA0 1 10.1.1.1   and it says "AX.25 port 1 bound to device ax0"

      sudo axlisten -a : nothing comes across.

      axcall 1 KA3WUT-4 : No red light, no keying up.

      Config Files:
      /boot/cmdline.txt:

      dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait

      /etc/ax25/axports:

      # /etc/ax25/axports

      #

      # The format of this file is:

      #

      # name callsign speed paclen window description

      #

      1 KA3WUT-1 19200 236 2 TNC 1

      Notes:
      KA3WUT-4 is my PK-88
      KA3WUT-7 is my TH72

      Questions:
      I have seen where some folks are saying listen to pin 6 of a chip?  What chip is that and how does one do that?  If a normal headset I assume I need to have one 1 of the headset set to pin 6 (I assume 1 is top left of a chip?)  Does anything else need to be connected to the headset and if so what?

      I can take photos of my boards front and back if that would be helpful?
      I am up for suggestions/ideas/help.

      Thank you
      -Ryan (KA3WUT   Chantilly, VA)

    • Ray Wells
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 8, 2014
        Ryan,

        There appears to be no space between the callsign and the port speed in axports. Is that the case? A space is definitely needed.

        Ray vk2tv

        On 06/04/14 21:05, ryan@... wrote:

[...]

      • Ryan Stapleton
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 8, 2014
          Hello Ray,
              They are all TABs between the fields in the axports.  I will change them to spaces tonight after work and see what happens.

          Thanks
          -Ryan

          On 06/04/14 21:05, ryan@... wrote:

[...]

        • Tommy Kane
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 8, 2014

            reference the pin6 question, it is pin 6 of the op amp. The audio goes in via pin 3 and out via pin 6. If you look at the build instructions you will see the circuit diagram, with help from some of the guys, I managed to trace the entire board out and track the audio through. I must admit that I never managed to hear the tone that apparently is always generated but I used Visual Analyser to get it to show as a trace in the laptop.

            I found Visual Analyser hard work, found SCOPE more user friendly.

            I should openly admit I am no guru on this just reflecting my experience of trying to get the TNC-Pi up and running

            Tommy

            MM0KNE

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 8, 2014

              Not sure about that I thought mine were tabs?

              Tommy

              MM0KNE

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 8, 2014

                Ryan,

                It is probably a silly question, but are you trying to use both TNC's on the same PI. You can only connect one at a time, unless at least one is set to i2c mode.

                73,

                John G8BPQ

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 8, 2014
                  I have not hooked them both up together. I have tried one at a time.

                  Thanks
                  Ryan

                  Sent from my iPhone