TNC-Pi

  • tommykane52
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2014

      Folks, Bit of help required here.

      I have recently received the TNC-Pi and built it but having a bit of a struggle to get it working.

      I installed all the Wheezy files and AX25 as per the instructions from K4gbb' site (that is when I could get in, seems to have been dropping lately), I also downloaded xastir and set it up killing the kissattach prior to setting it up.

      In the ax25 set up it offers the Calibrate function where it sends a string of 1's and 0's until the buffer is empty.

      I monitor that on another HT but all I get is white noise, no distinct tone.

      I also attached a speaker to the TNC-Pi board and again no distinct tone just the white noise.

      When I first sitch the Pi on, both red and yellow lights come on then red goes followed by yellow. As far as I know this is standard. Every now and then the DCD or Yellow light will blink but when there is a full blown APRS transmission there is no visible signs on the TNC-Pi that it has heard anything. I am using a Quasheng TG-UV2 HT and the cable specs are as per those in the Byonics site but not really sure if its the TNC-Pi or the TNC -HT cables.

      Any assistance in helping me track down or narrow down the field of enquiry would be much appreciated.

      Tommy

      MM0KNE

    • John Hansen

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 31, 2014

          Tommy,

          I don't know what the calibrate function is, but I don't see how it could send pure tones. The NRZI encoding of packet   prevents long stings of zeros or ones being sent - you always get the normal packet buzz.

          Do you hear a steady fairly low tone on your speaker when the TNC isn't transmitting? If not, there may be something wrong with the modem or its support circuitry.

          73,

          John G8BPQ

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 31, 2014

            I used a small speaker and plugged it into the 4 holes on the pcb and no tone was present even when not transmitting. Just for confirmation which of the 4 holes are to connect to the speaker?

            I am pretty sure I used 2 & 3. maybe I am wrong.

            If I have checked the correct pins then I will look at the modem circuitry.

            I did hear a very low level tone when I connected the speaker and first switched on the Pi it was very low and hard to hear but it was there.

            Must have misunderstood the calibrate aspect, the write up says it has the ability to send a string of 1's and 0's until the buffer is emptied. Its one of the instructions on the web site on installing ax25.

            Thanks thus far, much appreciated.

            Tommy

            MM0KNE

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 31, 2014

              Thanks for the reply, will check out, unfortunately do not have a 'scope, will cannibalise an earphone and check out pin6 U4. In terms of the level being too low, how does one adjust it, software or pots?

              Again thanks for the assist.

              Tommy

              MM0KNE

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 2, 2014

                    Update to status.

                    Checked out the connectivity to U4) all fine and 3.3v on the appropriate pin. Unable to hear a tone using earphones, loaded Visual Analyser and spent quite a time trying to understand that. Help pages were rather vague, found a forum that talked about it so read most of the pertinent info and tried again.

                    When attaching a probe to pin3 in the 4 pin header  area or to pin 6 on the IC, I notice a change in the display of VA. Unfortunately it dies after 3 seconds so difficult to evaluate. Not sure if its the IC dying or something in VA. I am finding VA setup is as user friendly as a cornered rat.

                    I also need to understand how I can change the OP of the IC incase its too low.

                    Any experts on VA who can help with the 3 second issue would be appreciated.

                    Tommy

                    MM0KNE

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 3, 2014

                      I installed the Visual Analyser software and after a while got it to work but not very successful in analyzing what its telling me, the help pages are not exactly brimming with assistance. I found that if I connect to the Pin 6 on U4 it does indeed alter the scope but what exactly its doing is uncertain. The same happens on connecting to TX audio on the 4 point connection pads. I also traced and checked all the connectivity from U4 and that all seems fine. I also checked the voltage supply to U4 and its at 3.3 volts. What next I ask?

                      I will now start checking the cables from the HT to confirm where the audio is using the Visual Analyser and at least get the correct pinning on the cables.

                      In the meantime if someone can give me a link to help me understand the VA application I would be most grateful

                      I did reply yesterday but seems to have got lost in the ether.

                      Many Thanks,

                      Tommy

                      MM0KNE