Re: Winlink2000 email on the RPi

  • flask28
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2012
      Well that's just....fantastic!! Great to hear John, and thanks for your contributions to the community. bpq32 is very very cool and having it on the PI would be amazing. Huge.

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

      > I'm working on a port of the bpq32 node to the PI. This will support the
      > PTC, as well as all the other BPQ32 port options. Hopefully it will be
      > possible to integrate it with the linux version of RMS Express that Matthew
      > mentioned.
      >
      > 73, John G8BPQ
      >

      > _____

    • Wolf, OE7FTJ
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012
        Hi Adam et al!

        Did you get experience with pactor and not with packetradio only on a P-Pi?
        Another issue - for me - is the substitution of RMS-relay under Linux. For our mobile / portable WL2k-node I had until now a WIN-XP solution with the combo RMSpactor+RMSpacket+RMSrelay as a WL2k message hub.

        But this might be better discussed in the 'paclink-linux' group.

        73 de Wolf, oe7ftj

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "flask28" <kf7ljh@...> wrote:

        > I'd been really wishing for a linux packet winlink client to run on the Rpi, and as I quickly discovered so were many others.
        >
        > While there is a linux version of RMS Gateway, that does not really work like a client. I was thinking I was out of luck until I found Packlink-unix. It's a SMTP to AX25-winlink gateway. In the end I was using the RPi as a personal client gateway to send winlink mail from my smartphone to our local VHF winlink gateway.
        >
        > I've been using the RPi lately with a hardware TNC, but since paclink-unix uses the ax25 OS configuration I don't see why it wouldn't work with soundmodem if you have that working. You need to have your AX25 ports setup and working for paclink-unix with some sort of TNC.
        > Paclink-unix is super short on documentation but what you need to compile and configure sendmail is in the INSTALL file. Once you have it installed you'll want to edit the wl2k.conf file.
        >
        > For sending mail, the included wl2k.m4 file changes the mail headers for winlink with your callsign@... For inbound mail, the wl2k system connects to the winlink CMS with your callsign, pulls down your mail and then queues it in sendmail with the email you specify in the "your internet email address" line in wl2k.conf. I used myusername@localhost so all inbound mail dumps into my personal account. That's the account I configure in my mail client setup.
        >
        > Then I use my smartphone's POP3 client to connect to the RPi and pull that user's mail down, which is the winlink mail for the callsign you configured in wl2k.conf.
        >
        > Paclink-unix gives you tools to connect to the RMS gateway.
        >
        > Wl2kax25 ex "wl2kax25 –c AF7RR-10" will send/receive queued mail with the gateway via packet
        >
        > Wl2ktelnet ex "wl2ktelnet" will send/ receive queued mail with the gateway via telnet

        > Be sure to setup sendmail to allow external connections and appropriate relaying permissions. Mine is a super vanilla setup, nothing fancy at all.
        >
        > Adam
        > KF7LJH

      • Ronny
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 8, 2012
          Please let us know how you guys are coming along. I'm getting a couple of RPIs and have various hardware I can test on here. Two TNCs. (KPC3 and MFJ-1274) A handful of generic USB sound cards also.

          Glad to test in the field.
          Ronny
          K4RJJ