RS232 to Pi

  • matt_k1mda
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 9, 2014
      Hello,
      I've had a Pi for a while but am now focusing on using it for ham radio. I have been having problems interfacing my tiny trak 4 to my pi via a usb serial port connector so i was thinking of adding a serial port onto the pi. I came across this and at the very least found it intriguing:

      I know this is pricey and probably overkill but i am pretty new to linux and the Pi and it looks like a simple solution. Anyone tried one of these?

      My next question would it possible to add an additional serial connector to the board above. The endgame is to interface the tinytrak4, a serial gps and possibly a screen on top. I know it will look like a monstrosity but it will be functional for me and possibly lead into additional units for my town EM.
      Thanks for your help.
      Matt, K1MDA
    • Jack Smith
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 9, 2014

        Yes, it is overpriced…

        I got mine here (you can get two for what Amazon wants):  http://dx.com/p/expansion-board-made-for-raspberry-pi-multicolor-black-278750#.UxzHDIWa8e0

        BTW, works great but, it took this noob a while to figure it all out.

        73,

        Jack KE4LWT

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 9, 2014

          To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sunday, 9 March, 2014, 16:33

          Hello Matt,

          I used one from here

          http://www.abelectronics.co.uk/

          Might be worth a look.

          73,
          Ian..

          found it intriguing:http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Expansion-Board-Raspberry-Designed/dp/B00FHTPAKO/ref=pd_sbs_indust_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WG1MRKTFCKP5AMAXCDC#productDetails

          I know this is pricey and probably overkill but i
          am pretty new to linux and the Pi and it looks like a simple
          solution. Anyone tried one of these?
          My next question would it possible to add an
          additional serial connector to the board above. The endgame
          is to interface the tinytrak4, a serial gps and possibly a
          screen on top. I know it will look like a monstrosity but it
          will be functional for me and possibly lead into additional
          units for my town EM.Thanks for your
          help.Matt, K1MDA
        • g4sra
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 9, 2014
            The most common hack for interfacing 3.3v serial (broadband routers,
            phones, the Pi) to a PC or anything else with a USB host port is to use
            a mobile phone serial to USB adapter. A Nokia DKU-5 does the job nicely
            and can be had in the UK for around £2.50.

            On 09/03/14 16:33, kilo1mda@... wrote:
            > Hello, I've had a Pi for a while but am now focusing on using it for ham radio. I have been having problems interfacing my tiny trak 4 to my pi via a usb serial port connector so i was thinking of adding a serial port onto the pi. I came across this and at the very least found it intriguing:
            > http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Expansion-Board-Raspberry-Designed/dp/B00FHTPAKO/ref=pd_sbs_indust_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WG1MRKTFCKP5AMAXCDC#productDetails http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Expansion-Board-Raspberry-Designed/dp/B00FHTPAKO/ref=pd_sbs_indust_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WG1MRKTFCKP5AMAXCDC#productDetails
            >

            > I know this is pricey and probably overkill but i am pretty new to linux and the Pi and it looks like a simple solution. Anyone tried one of these?
            >

            > My next question would it possible to add an additional serial connector to the board above. The endgame is to interface the tinytrak4, a serial gps and possibly a screen on top. I know it will look like a monstrosity but it will be functional for me and possibly lead into additional units for my town EM.
            > Thanks for your help.
            > Matt, K1MDA

          • Matthew Allred
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 9, 2014
              wow jack thanks for the link.

              think it would be possible to add a serial port like Ian linked on top of the x100?
              73's
              K1MDA

              Matthew Allred

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 9, 2014
                Matt---

                Spending that kind of money on a board that also does VGA and 4 usb ports and such is over kill if you don't use it. I noticed the pricehas dropped from $85 to $65.. wonder why? possibly it's unpopular. . For less money ($40) you can get a TNC-PI and run Xastir a full function APRS program. XASTIR supports USB GPS on the PI.
                I don't have a Tiny Track 4 but I read the bio on it's web site and it is basically a KISS TNC and so it the TNC-PI... I myself have 3 TNC-PI's, I'm not the most accomplished but the popularity of the TNC-PI is going to result in not only user support but some additional applications in the future..
                Regarding a screen- monitor.. Lots of guys are using a car backup monitor for a monitor on the PI. I bought one but have not hooked it up. I'm about a week behind my "honey do's"  I think it's 7" and under $40.

                Larry W8LM
              • Jack Smith
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 10, 2014

                  Matthew,

                  You’re quite welcome. Probably. Or, you could stack another one of those on top!  I’m good with the one serial port and running everything else by USB, though.

                  V/r

                  Jack

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 10, 2014
                    jack,
                    It was not helpful since I ordered the board and am now looking into Arudino!!! I guess it never ends!
                    73's
                    k1mda

                    Matthew Allred

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 13, 2014

                      Sorry about that, Matthew.  Good luck with the Arduino, though. I haven’t experimented with one of those yet.  Too many “pi’s in the oven”!  Working my RMS Linux gateway, Xastir, Navit and Paclink Linux. Then on to FLDigi!

                      73,

                      Jack KE4LWT

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 15, 2014
                        Hello,

                        The Raspberry Pi doses have a serial port.  GPIO pin 14 is TX and GPIO pin 15 is RX.  The problem is it runs TTL voltage, 3.3 volts, not 5 volts.  You need to get a TTL to RS232 adapter.  I've seen them  for sale anywhere from $3.00 to $10.00. (At least here in the US and Canada.)  I had a similar problem getting my KPC3 to attach to my Raspberry Pi.  It wouldn't work through a USB to serial adapter. (The adapter worked on my laptop and desktop.)

                        Good Luck,
                        '73

                        Eric Scott
                        KC7KLZ / VE7KLZ

                        On Friday, March 14, 2014 1:26 AM, Jack Smith <cyclingsoldier@...> wrote:

[...]

                      • Tim McDonough N9PUZ
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 19, 2014
                          I have used the interface shown here to connect to RS232 devices. Where
                          the schematic indicates 5 VDC connect it to 3.3 VDC from the Pi instead.

                          <http://www.botkin.org/dale/rs232_interface.htm>

                          Tim N9PUZ
                        • M W
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 23, 2014
                            I'd be a little concerned as 2N7000s are a little sensitive to ESD; Though I guess we Hams will know not to zap them though :) X1 pin 3 direct to gate of Q2 with no protection. Could put a 5.1V Zener there, Anode to GND, Cathode to Q2's gate, then I would be less concerned :)

                              Mark, KF7YTQ

                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 23, 2014
                              Not all 2N7000s are created the same. Some have much better ESD protection than others. But you really have to do your homework to know just what your getting.

                              Max KG4PID

                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 24, 2014
                                I've used 2n7000s on many projects without problems.  Some drive relays or operate very near large stepper motors.  Lately just as a matter of construction techniques I've added a 1K resistor in series between the mpu output pin and the 2n7000 to improve stability in high noise conditions.  I can't prove it helped but it didn't hurt either.     Bill k6acj pic, picaxe, arduino, raspberry pi
                              • Gerry Hull
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 24, 2014
                                  Way overkill for the Pi.

                                  There are two built-in serial ports for the Pi (at logic level); if your GPS is at logic level, no worries there, but $3 board gives you RS-232 at regular voltages off of those pins.
                                  Any RS-232 needed beyond two should be off of the USB connector.

                                  Here's a great resource on RasPi serial ports:

                                  73,

                                  Gerry W1VE

                                  Gerry Hull, W1VE   | Nelson, NH USA | +1-617-CW-SPARK

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 25, 2014
                                      I'm not so sure that the information at the given link is correct. In all my reading on the RasPi I have never found any information for more than one serial port. I hope I'm wrong, but a Google search only finds this one page, and there isn't enough info to be useful. Any links to more information?

                                      Max

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 26, 2014
                                        Uh, I'm not really sure how well this would work, but first off what I remember of the GPIO pins there is only 1 serial port.  However, what is to stop you from using the serial port wired to a couple of max232s and using a couple of GPIO data pins for select lines to control which of the two you want to use?  This way the only real limit on ports would be the speed of the Pi to be able to switch serial ports and not loose data.  Which means the faster the baud rate, the less serial ports you could use, if this method would even work.

                                        --
                                        KF5QEO
                                        John Guillory