TNC-Pi Deaf and Dumb

  • Clay Jackson
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2014
      Just built, configured and installed a TNC-Pi -

      The Pi comes up, and kissattach returns "connected"; but axcall doesn't trip
      the PTT LED and xlisten doesn't print anything when the DCD light is on. I
      can hear the tone fine on a second radio (if I key the radio connected to
      the Pi with its mic).

      Is there any easy way to determine if the Pi is talking to the serial port?
      I DID find I had bridged the JP3-JP4 jumpers when I soldered them; but
      corrected that, and there are no bridges that I can see (used a magnifier)
      anywhere else.

      Any help would be appreciated!

      Clay
      N7QNM
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4, 2014

        Clay,

        The simplest way to test the serial port is to use pitnc_getparams. If it doesn’t respond there is very likely to be something wrong with the port. See the TNC-PI docs for details.

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4, 2014
          Sorry if this is a stupid question......does the RX led light when you hear incoming data?
          Sorry next stupid question........are you sure your cable between the Radio and the TNC are good?

          I built 2 of these (even with my shaky hands and bad eye-sight) and both worked on my first try.......

          Bob

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 4, 2014
              This will work if you are using the serial port

              I use minicom to test serial ports.

              sudo apt-get install minicom

              make sure nothing is using the serial port

              Example, sudo killall kissattach  if you started it.

              If you haven't setup anything to run upon a reboot, then reboot instead of the killall and then run

              minicom -b 19200 -o -D /dev/ttyAMA0

              when a packet is received and decoded you should see a string of text but only parts of it will be readable because it is in Kiss format. My weather station produces a string that looks like this.

              To exit minicom do a "Ctrl-A" then "X" and press "Enter

              I just tried this to verify and it works.

              Hope this helps. Max KG4PID

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 5, 2014

                  Thanks to all who responded!   Took the unit down to a friend’s house, and tried it on a running Pi he had.   He had the i2c-tools downloaded, and we found the TNC on Bus 1, Device 03 (i2cdetect –y 1).  I enabled i2c on my Pi (followed the directions in the TNC-Pi docs) and then used pitnc_getparams to READ the unit (again, Bus 1, Device 03).  Then I used pitnc_setparams to SET the device address to 0.   Rebooted al, started APRX and it’s been up and running as N7QNM-11 for about 6 hours now.

                  I’m gonna change the SSID to PROSSR in a few minutes.

                  Clay

                  N7QNM

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 6, 2014
                    Hello Clay,

                    Did you forget to remove any line linking serial port ttyAMA0 to a
                    device in /etc/inittab and /boot/cmdline.txt ?
                    To do so, comment with an # lines including ttyAMA0 like
                    # T0:23..............ttyAMA0.....ttyAMA0

                    73 de Bernard, f6bvp
                  • Clay Jackson
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 6, 2014

                      Thanks, Bernard – yeah, got that covered.   Turned out it was an issue with the I2C device address – once I corrected that, everything works fine!

                      Clay

                      N7QNM