Winlink2000 email on the RPi

  • flask28
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2012
      I'd been really wishing for a linux packet winlink client to run on the Rpi, and as I quickly discovered so were many others.

      While there is a linux version of RMS Gateway, that does not really work like a client. I was thinking I was out of luck until I found Packlink-unix. It's a SMTP to AX25-winlink gateway. In the end I was using the RPi as a personal client gateway to send winlink mail from my smartphone to our local VHF winlink gateway.

      I've been using the RPi lately with a hardware TNC, but since paclink-unix uses the ax25 OS configuration I don't see why it wouldn't work with soundmodem if you have that working. You need to have your AX25 ports setup and working for paclink-unix with some sort of TNC.
      Paclink-unix is super short on documentation but what you need to compile and configure sendmail is in the INSTALL file. Once you have it installed you'll want to edit the wl2k.conf file.

      For sending mail, the included wl2k.m4 file changes the mail headers for winlink with your callsign@.... For inbound mail, the wl2k system connects to the winlink CMS with your callsign, pulls down your mail and then queues it in sendmail with the email you specify in the "your internet email address" line in wl2k.conf. I used myusername@localhost so all inbound mail dumps into my personal account. That's the account I configure in my mail client setup.

      Then I use my smartphone's POP3 client to connect to the RPi and pull that user's mail down, which is the winlink mail for the callsign you configured in wl2k.conf.

      Paclink-unix gives you tools to connect to the RMS gateway.

      Wl2kax25 ex "wl2kax25 –c AF7RR-10" will send/receive queued mail with the gateway via packet

      Wl2ktelnet ex "wl2ktelnet" will send/ receive queued mail with the gateway via telnet

      Here's an example session with a packet connection:

      pompous@rpi1:/usr/local/var/wl2k/outbox# wl2kax25 -c AF7RR-10
      Connected to AX.25 stack
      Child process
      wl2kax25: ---
      outbound proposal list
      wl2kax25: proposal code C type E mid MC0QV_KF7LJH usize 3276 csize 1430 next (nil) path MC0QV_KF7LJH ubuf 0xa4f408 cbuf 0xa58240
      wl2kax25: <Welcome to Oregon ARES @ Multnomah County
      wl2kax25: <[WL2K-2.7.5.8-B2FWIHJM$]
      wl2kax25: sid [WL2K-2.7.5.8-B2FWIHJM$] inboundsidcodes -B2FWIHJM$
      wl2kax25: <;PQ: 45101877
      wl2kax25: <Wien CMS via AF7RF-10 >
      wl2kax25: >; AF7RR-10 DE KF7LJH QTC 1
      wl2kax25: >[PaclinkUNIX-0.5-B2FIHM$]
      wl2kax25: >FC EM MC0QV_KF7LJH 3276 1430 0
      wl2kax25: >F> 02
      wl2kax25: <FS Y
      wl2kax25: transmitting [Success] [offset 0]
      wl2kax25: ... 1430
      wl2kax25: ... 1180
      wl2kax25: ... 930
      wl2kax25: ... 680
      wl2kax25: ... 430
      wl2kax25: ... 180
      wl2kax25: <FF
      wl2kax25: DELETING PROPOSAL:
      wl2kax25: proposal code C type E mid MC0QV_KF7LJH usize 3276 csize 1430 next (nil) path MC0QV_KF7LJH ubuf 0xa4f408 cbuf 0xa58240
      wl2kax25: >FQ
      EOF on child fd, terminating communications loop.
      Closing ax25 connection
      Child process exiting

      Be sure to setup sendmail to allow external connections and appropriate relaying permissions. Mine is a super vanilla setup, nothing fancy at all.

      Adam
      KF7LJH
    • Matthew Pitts
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2012

        Nice write up on how to do this; I'm working on a version of RMS Express for Linux, specifically for use with the Raspberry Pi as a tool for the go kit.

        Matthew Pitts
        N8OHU

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2012
          An interesting route to Winlink. Unfortunately packet access is rare outside USA or when offshore. I normslly use Airmail with an SCS PTC-IIe or ex and pactor 3 but that is a Windows based solution. Have you found any software that will handle Pactor? So far I have drawn a blank.
          Dick G4BBH

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2012
            I'm working on a port of the bpq32 node to the PI. This will support the PTC, as well as all the other BPQ32 port options. Hopefully it will be possible to integrate it with the linux version of RMS Express that Matthew mentioned.

            73, John G8BPQ

            An interesting route to Winlink. Unfortunately packet access is rare outside USA or when offshore. I normslly use Airmail with an SCS PTC-IIe or ex and pactor 3 but that is a Windows based solution. Have you found any software that will handle Pactor? So far I have drawn a blank.
            Dick G4BBH

            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "flask28" <kf7ljh@...> wrote:

            > I'd been really wishing for
            a linux packet winlink client to run on the Rpi, and as I quickly discovered so were many others.

            > While there is a linux version of RMS
            Gateway, that does not really work like a client. I was thinking I was out of luck until I found Packlink-unix. It's a SMTP to AX25-winlink gateway. In the end I was using the RPi as a personal client gateway to send winlink mail from my smartphone to our local VHF winlink gateway.

            > I've been using
            the RPi lately with a hardware TNC, but since paclink-unix uses the ax25 OS configuration I don't see why it wouldn't work with soundmodem if you have that working. You need to have your AX25 ports setup and working for paclink-unix with some sort of TNC.
            > Paclink-unix is super short on documentation but
            what you need to compile and configure sendmail is in the INSTALL file. Once you have it installed you'll want to edit the wl2k.conf file.

            > For
            sending mail, the included wl2k.m4 file changes the mail headers for winlink with your callsign@... For inbound mail, the wl2k system connects to the winlink CMS with your callsign, pulls down your mail and then queues it in sendmail with the email you specify in the "your internet email address" line in wl2k.conf. I used myusername@localhost so all inbound mail dumps into my personal account. That's the account I configure in my mail client setup.

            > Then I
            use my smartphone's POP3 client to connect to the RPi and pull that user's mail down, which is the winlink mail for the callsign you configured in wl2k.conf.

            > Paclink-unix gives you tools to connect to the RMS
            gateway.

            > Wl2kax25 ex "wl2kax25 –c AF7RR-10" will send/receive
            queued mail with the gateway via packet

            > Wl2ktelnet ex
            "wl2ktelnet" will send/ receive queued mail with the gateway via telnet

            > Here's an example session with a packet connection:

            pompous@rpi1:/usr/local/var/wl2k/outbox# wl2kax25 -c AF7RR-10
            > Connected
            to AX.25 stack
            > Child process
            > wl2kax25: ---
            > outbound
            proposal list
            > wl2kax25: proposal code C type E mid MC0QV_KF7LJH usize
            3276 csize 1430 next (nil) path MC0QV_KF7LJH ubuf 0xa4f408 cbuf 0xa58240

            wl2kax25: <Welcome to Oregon ARES @ Multnomah County
            > wl2kax25:
            <[WL2K-2.7.5.8-B2FWIHJM$]
            > wl2kax25: sid [WL2K-2.7.5.8-B2FWIHJM$]
            inboundsidcodes -B2FWIHJM$
            > wl2kax25: <;PQ: 45101877
            > wl2kax25:
            <Wien CMS via AF7RF-10 >
            > wl2kax25: >; AF7RR-10 DE KF7LJH QTC
            1
            > wl2kax25: >[PaclinkUNIX-0.5-B2FIHM$]
            > wl2kax25: >FC EM
            MC0QV_KF7LJH 3276 1430 0
            > wl2kax25: >F> 02
            > wl2kax25: <FS
            > wl2kax25: transmitting [Success] [offset 0]
            > wl2kax25: ...
            1430
            > wl2kax25: ... 1180
            > wl2kax25: ... 930
            > wl2kax25: ...
            680
            > wl2kax25: ... 430
            > wl2kax25: ... 180
            > wl2kax25:
            <FF
            > wl2kax25: DELETING PROPOSAL:
            > wl2kax25: proposal code C
            type E mid MC0QV_KF7LJH usize 3276 csize 1430 next (nil) path MC0QV_KF7LJH ubuf 0xa4f408 cbuf 0xa58240
            > wl2kax25: >FQ
            > EOF on child fd,
            terminating communications loop.
            > Closing ax25 connection
            > Child
            process exiting

            > Be sure to setup sendmail to allow external
            connections and appropriate relaying permissions. Mine is a super vanilla setup, nothing fancy at all.

            > Adam

            KF7LJH

          • ferrymanr
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2012
              That will be interesting - Many years now (20+)since I ran multiple BPQ nodes on 'BSX boards (GB7DOV).
              Dick G4BBH

              --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

              > I'm working on a port of the bpq32 node to the PI. This will support the
              > PTC, as well as all the other BPQ32 port options. Hopefully it will be
              > possible to integrate it with the linux version of RMS Express that Matthew
              > mentioned.
              >
              > 73, John G8BPQ

            • Matthew Pitts
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2012

                John,

                That would be an ideal way to handle things; I'm still working on the main user interface and was wondering how I was going to manage dealing with the hardware interface side of things, so anything you can do with the BPQ32 port that can help me would be appreciated.

                Matthew Pitts
                N8OHU

                Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                I'm working on a port of the bpq32 node to the PI. This will support the PTC, as well as all the other BPQ32 port options. Hopefully it will be possible to integrate it with the linux version of RMS Express that Matthew mentioned.

                73, John G8BPQ

                An interesting route to Winlink. Unfortunately packet access is rare outside USA or when offshore. I normslly use Airmail with an SCS PTC-IIe or ex and pactor 3 but that is a Windows based solution. Have you found any software that will handle Pactor? So far I have drawn a blank.
                Dick G4BBH

                --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "flask28" <kf7ljh@...> wrote:

                > I'd been really wishing for
                a linux packet winlink client to run on the Rpi, and as I quickly discovered so were many others.

                > While there is a linux version of RMS
                Gateway, that does not really work like a client. I was thinking I was out of luck until I found Packlink-unix. It's a SMTP to AX25-winlink gateway. In the end I was using the RPi as a personal client gateway to send winlink mail from my smartphone to our local VHF winlink gateway.

                > I've been using
                the RPi lately with a hardware TNC, but since paclink-unix uses the ax25 OS configuration I don't see why it wouldn't work with soundmodem if you have that working. You need to have your AX25 ports setup and working for paclink-unix with some sort of TNC.
                > Paclink-unix is super short on documentation but
                what you need to compile and configure sendmail is in the INSTALL file. Once you have it installed you'll want to edit the wl2k.conf file.

                > For
                sending mail, the included wl2k.m4 file changes the mail headers for winlink with your callsign@... For inbound mail, the wl2k system connects to the winlink CMS with your callsign, pulls down your mail and then queues it in sendmail with the email you specify in the "your internet email address" line in wl2k.conf. I used myusername@localhost so all inbound mail dumps into my personal account. That's the account I configure in my mail client setup.

                > Then I
                use my smartphone's POP3 client to connect to the RPi and pull that user's mail down, which is the winlink mail for the callsign you configured in wl2k.conf.

                > Paclink-unix gives you tools to connect to the RMS
                gateway.

                > Wl2kax25 ex "wl2kax25 –c AF7RR-10" will send/receive
                queued mail with the gateway via packet

                > Wl2ktelnet ex
                "wl2ktelnet" will send/ receive queued mail with the gateway via telnet

                > Here's an example session with a packet connection:

                pompous@rpi1:/usr/local/var/wl2k/outbox# wl2kax25 -c AF7RR-10
                > Connected
                to AX.25 stack
                > Child process
                > wl2kax25: ---
                > outbound
                proposal list
                > wl2kax25: proposal code C type E mid MC0QV_KF7LJH usize
                3276 csize 1430 next (nil) path MC0QV_KF7LJH ubuf 0xa4f408 cbuf 0xa58240

                wl2kax25: <Welcome to Oregon ARES @ Multnomah County
                > wl2kax25:
                <[WL2K-2.7.5.8-B2FWIHJM$]
                > wl2kax25: sid [WL2K-2.7.5.8-B2FWIHJM$]
                inboundsidcodes -B2FWIHJM$
                > wl2kax25: <;PQ: 45101877
                > wl2kax25:
                <Wien CMS via AF7RF-10 >
                > wl2kax25: >; AF7RR-10 DE KF7LJH QTC
                1
                > wl2kax25: >[PaclinkUNIX-0.5-B2FIHM$]
                > wl2kax25: >FC EM
                MC0QV_KF7LJH 3276 1430 0
                > wl2kax25: >F> 02
                > wl2kax25: <FS
                > wl2kax25: transmitting [Success] [offset 0]
                > wl2kax25: ...
                1430
                > wl2kax25: ... 1180
                > wl2kax25: ... 930
                > wl2kax25: ...
                680
                > wl2kax25: ... 430
                > wl2kax25: ... 180
                > wl2kax25:
                <FF
                > wl2kax25: DELETING PROPOSAL:
                > wl2kax25: proposal code C
                type E mid MC0QV_KF7LJH usize 3276 csize 1430 next (nil) path MC0QV_KF7LJH ubuf 0xa4f408 cbuf 0xa58240
                > wl2kax25: >FQ
                > EOF on child fd,
                terminating communications loop.
                > Closing ax25 connection
                > Child
                process exiting

                > Be sure to setup sendmail to allow external
                connections and appropriate relaying permissions. Mine is a super vanilla setup, nothing fancy at all.

                > Adam

                KF7LJH

              • flask28
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2012
                  Well that's just....fantastic!! Great to hear John, and thanks for your contributions to the community. bpq32 is very very cool and having it on the PI would be amazing. Huge.

                • Wolf, OE7FTJ
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012
                    Hi Adam et al!

                    Did you get experience with pactor and not with packetradio only on a P-Pi?
                    Another issue - for me - is the substitution of RMS-relay under Linux. For our mobile / portable WL2k-node I had until now a WIN-XP solution with the combo RMSpactor+RMSpacket+RMSrelay as a WL2k message hub.

                    But this might be better discussed in the 'paclink-linux' group.

                    73 de Wolf, oe7ftj

                    --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "flask28" <kf7ljh@...> wrote:

                    > I'd been really wishing for a linux packet winlink client to run on the Rpi, and as I quickly discovered so were many others.
                    >
                    > While there is a linux version of RMS Gateway, that does not really work like a client. I was thinking I was out of luck until I found Packlink-unix. It's a SMTP to AX25-winlink gateway. In the end I was using the RPi as a personal client gateway to send winlink mail from my smartphone to our local VHF winlink gateway.
                    >
                    > I've been using the RPi lately with a hardware TNC, but since paclink-unix uses the ax25 OS configuration I don't see why it wouldn't work with soundmodem if you have that working. You need to have your AX25 ports setup and working for paclink-unix with some sort of TNC.
                    > Paclink-unix is super short on documentation but what you need to compile and configure sendmail is in the INSTALL file. Once you have it installed you'll want to edit the wl2k.conf file.
                    >
                    > For sending mail, the included wl2k.m4 file changes the mail headers for winlink with your callsign@... For inbound mail, the wl2k system connects to the winlink CMS with your callsign, pulls down your mail and then queues it in sendmail with the email you specify in the "your internet email address" line in wl2k.conf. I used myusername@localhost so all inbound mail dumps into my personal account. That's the account I configure in my mail client setup.
                    >
                    > Then I use my smartphone's POP3 client to connect to the RPi and pull that user's mail down, which is the winlink mail for the callsign you configured in wl2k.conf.
                    >
                    > Paclink-unix gives you tools to connect to the RMS gateway.
                    >
                    > Wl2kax25 ex "wl2kax25 –c AF7RR-10" will send/receive queued mail with the gateway via packet
                    >
                    > Wl2ktelnet ex "wl2ktelnet" will send/ receive queued mail with the gateway via telnet

                    > Be sure to setup sendmail to allow external connections and appropriate relaying permissions. Mine is a super vanilla setup, nothing fancy at all.
                    >
                    > Adam
                    > KF7LJH

                  • Ronny
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 8, 2012
                      Please let us know how you guys are coming along. I'm getting a couple of RPIs and have various hardware I can test on here. Two TNCs. (KPC3 and MFJ-1274) A handful of generic USB sound cards also.

                      Glad to test in the field.
                      Ronny
                      K4RJJ