What program do I use to do keyboard to keyboard packet radio with the TNCPi and Raspberry Pi?

  • David R. Hassall
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 10, 2014
      Dear Members,

      What program exists to do keyboard to keyboard packet radio communications
      using the combination of the TNCPi and Raspberry Pi. I have mine receiving
      using XASTIR but that is primarily for APRS data. Is there another terminal
      program that will work with the TNCPi that will run on the Raspberry Pi?

      73 Dave
      David R. Hassall WA5DJJ
      WEBSITE: http://www.zianet.com/dhassall/
    • jedscoot
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 11, 2014
        Hello Dave,

        I use Minicom with my PI/TNC-PI.

        sudo apt-get install minicom

        73,
        Ian..
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 11, 2014

          Ian,

          What option do you use with minicom to get it to talk KISS?

          73, John

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 11, 2014

            Dave,

            You can use axcall (from the ax25-apps package) to make keyboard to keyboard calls.

            LinBPQ can be configured to accept incoming calls to a Terminal, as well as its more normal use as a BBS and Chat server.

            73,

            John G8BPQ

            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 12, 2014

              To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Tuesday, 11 February, 2014, 17:29

              OOPS !! A senior moment for me John.

              I was using Minicom with my PI and a KPC2 before I built my TNC-PI.

              From:
              Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 12, 2014

                Thanks, Ian.

                I just wondered if I'd missed some clever option in minicom!

                I was using Minicom with my PI and a KPC2 before I built my TNC-PI.

                73,
                Ian..

                Ian,

                What option
                do you use with minicom to get
                it to talk KISS?

                ,_._,___

              • Bill Vodall
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 12, 2014
                  > What program exists to do keyboard to keyboard packet radio communications
                  > using the combination of the TNCPi and Raspberry Pi.

                  The 'keyboarding' that was always a lot of fun in the old packet world
                  and I miss these days is the conference chat modes. Look at either
                  the CHAT program of the BPQ tools or the native Linux AX25 tools
                  CONVERS - Both should run on a PI with packet and have TCP links to
                  other nodes around the world.

                  Bill, WA7NWP
                • kc7dx
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 12, 2014
                    I use LinPac and quite like it... but I have not tried it on my Pi yet.

                  • Tadd Torborg
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 12, 2014
                      I could not get LinPAC to run on the PI.
                        Tadd
                      Tadd Torborg

                      On Feb 12, 2014, at 4:25 PM, lowell.brunson@... wrote:

                      I use LinPac and quite like it... but I have not tried it on my Pi yet.

                    • Ray Wells
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 13, 2014
                        I dabbled with Linpac years ago but nothing in recent years. Its advantage is that it uses curses to provide the (somewhat Baycom) style display in a terminal. GUI not required.

                        Today I tried to compile Linpac on a spare Pi but success is not in the air just yet with the current hiccup being a missing library header file.

                        I installed the usual tools for compiling - build-essential, automake libncurses5-dev, zlib1G-dev and compiled kernel ax25 stuff from sources - libax25, ax25apps & ax25tools. Linpac sources were grabbed from online. ./configure complained that makeinfo was missing but that was resolved by installing texinfo with apt-get. I wasn't satisfied that all library files were present but ran make regardless to be greeted by missing library headers and a failed make. At this point I'm not sure if the problem is specific to the Pi or if it's due to library changes since Linpac was written. I intend compiling on a vanilla Debian Wheezy machine (Acer P4 32 bit machine) to see what happens there. That will tell me if the failed make is Pi specific.

                        The last update for Linpac was around 2003 so it's a bit long in the tooth now. The source site says David Ranch is now the maintainer but I've not seen any recent updates. I know David is active on one of the mailing groups to which I subscribe but I'm not sure of which one. Are you on this list David?

                        Perhaps I'll have more news in a day or so.

                        Ray vk2tv

                        On 13/02/14 08:25, lowell.brunson@... wrote:

                        I use LinPac and quite like it... but I have not tried it on my Pi yet.

                        _

                      • James French
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 13, 2014
                          Ray, a few questions about Linpac.

                          1) Since it is that old, will it be able to handle an ARM processor?

                          2) If it has been updated, can you compile the code into it for the processor?

                          I am wondering about this as you can get the latest Ubuntu but it will not work for the Pi because of the different processor that its compiled with code for.

                          James W8ISS
                          Linux user since 2000 :)

                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 13, 2014
                            James,

                            I'm not a programmer and my understanding of the requirements for compiling is quite limited, being restricted to experience gained from near 20 years of compiling on Linux. However, given that Linpac is written in C++,  I believe compiling on the ARM will not be a problem, provided the required libraries and development files are available for the ARM processor. I need to read a bit more thoroughly but it appears I can run ./configure to use the static libraries in the package, but more of that in a day or two once I shed some business at home.

                            My trials (with dynamically linked libraries) have so far been with a pre-release v0.17 and the stable v0.16. Both began to compile but both ran foul of missing header files, with 0.16 compiling a bit further than 0.17-pre. I'm far from giving up on this.

                            As for different processors, Linux applications will compile on a very wide range of processors, provided the necessary libraries are available. It's also possible to cross-compile, say, for an ARM processor on an i386 machine. I recently cross-compiled on a 64bit system for the ARM but can't for the life of me recall what that was for - might have been for ADSB.

                            I don't know what Ubuntu is up to these days, having dumped it a few years ago for Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) for desktop and vanilla Debian for radio purposes.

                            As part of some lateral thinking re packet terminal programs I'm wondering about the Pi's ability to use DOSEMU, the Linux DOS emulator. Oops, DOSEMU is only for i386 and amd64 according to the Debian package so that rules out running Baycom on the Pi.

                            For the adventurous amongst us it might be worth looking at JNOS as a packet terminal program. I haven't used NOS since my DOS days when it was called The Net, about twenty years ago but I recall it was quite a complex program to set up. Maybe the Linux version is better in that regard.

                            I think that John, G8BPQ's suggestion of his LinBPQ has considerable merit, being that it's been around for a long time, is stable, functional and actively supported. I haven't used LinBPQ but I used John's BPQ node software under DOS with the FBB BBS software for many years before moving to Linux.

                            Ray vk2tv

                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 14, 2014
                                I don't know if this helps or not but I corresponded with David last November in order to get LinPac to run on my Linux Mint 12 machine.  He said:

                                " I have the full build process for Centos/RHEL/Fedora posted here:
                                http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#11.linpac
                                If you want just the patches, you can find them here:
                                http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/
                                Specifically, get all the "linpac*"
                                "

                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 14, 2014
                                  I've written some instructions for configuring linbpq with a TNC-PI to work
                                  as a simple terminal.

                                  https://sites.google.com/site/bpq32wiki/home/installing-linbpq/simple-kiss-t
                                  erminal

                                  Any suggestions for improving the instructions would be welcomed - it is
                                  sometimes difficult to write clear instructions for beginners when you are
                                  too familiar with a system.

                                  73,
                                  John G8BPQ
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 14, 2014

                                    It seems Yahoo has messed up the link - I'll try again

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 14, 2014
                                      On 2/14/2014 4:49 PM, John Wiseman wrote:

                                      It seems Yahoo has messed up the link - I'll try again

                                      https://sites.google.com/site/bpq32wiki/home/installing-linbpq/simple-kiss-terminal

                                      73, John

                                      I've written some instructions for configuring linbpq with a TNC-PI to work
                                      as a simple terminal.

                                      https://sites.google.com/site/bpq32wiki/home/installing-linbpq/simple-kiss-t
                                      erminal

                                      Any suggestions for improving the instructions would be welcomed - it is
                                      sometimes difficult to write clear instructions for beginners when you are
                                      too familiar with a system.

                                      73,
                                      John G8BPQ

                                      John if you put < > around your links yahoo shouldn't mangle them

                                      < https://sites.google.com/site/bpq32wiki/home/installing-linbpq/simple-kiss-terminal >

                                      --
                                      All the Best & 73's
                                      Dale Miller, KC2CBD

                                      Registered Linux User: #317401
                                      Linux since June 2003
                                      Registered Ubuntu User #26423

                                      stpatrick3spam@...
                                      stpatrick2spam@...
                                      stpatrick3spam@...
                                      bdchimneysweepspam@...

                                      (cut the spam to reply)

                                      VOTE TO REBUILD!
                                      www.twintowersalliance.com
                                      __

                                    • James French
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 14, 2014
                                        OK on the libraries and all. Was sending my reply just before I went into work and just could not think of what words to use :) I have never tried to compile a kernel yet but that's on my list of want to try to do.

                                        As for JNOS on the Pi, the state EC here in Michigan has compiled up a version that will walk you through setting up a JNOS 2.0 system on a Pi and tnc/pi using Pidora.

                                        Here's the link to the pdf:
                                        http://ares-mi.org/downloads/Packet/Configure_Personal_JNOS/Configure_Personal_JNOS--Raspberry_Pi-JNOS-en-US.pdf

                                        As for the different distros, I started out on Red Hat 5.0(?), then migrated to Suse then to Ubuntu. This was way back in 2000. Now I am tinkering with other distros on my Pi.

                                        A little frustrating with the gui on the Pi as I am not familiar with the program choices but the only reason I am seeing currently for a gui is for my media interface and to do things when I am out rovering during the VHF contests. Planning on one Pi as a NTP server for the home network and when I am rovering for accurate times for trying meteor scatter and 'maybe' portable EME.

                                        James W8ISS

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 15, 2014

                                          There is an i386 emulator for the RPi, based on the Nintendo DOS emulator -  see http://rpix86.patrickaalto.com/index.html. (If yahoo adds spaces to link, remove them, or use DuckDuckGo/Google/whatever and search for rpix86).

                                          The developer states:
                                          "CPU: 80486 processor, including the protected mode features (for running DOS4GW games) but without virtual memory support. The emulation runs at a speed of around 20MHz 80486 (which equals a 40MHz 80386) machine."

                                          I haven't had a chance to try it out as yet, but the specs appear to be more than enough for Baycom.

                                          Paul, 5B8BA

                                          ---In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, <vk2tv@...> wrote:

                                          As part of some lateral thinking re packet terminal programs I'm wondering about the Pi's ability to use DOSEMU, the Linux DOS emulator. Oops, DOSEMU is only for i386 and amd64 according to the Debian package so that rules out running Baycom on the Pi.
                                        • siegfried jackstien
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Feb 15, 2014
                                            Yiehaaa ... back to basics .... dos 3.3 ... win 3.1 :-)

                                            That remembers me to my fist pc ... 20mb hdd 4 mb ram green monitor and
                                            incredible fast cpu ... 4.7 MEGAHERTZ ... connected to ouside world with a
                                            2400bd hayes modem (my friends only had 300bd acoustic couplers)

                                            I have to dig out my old harddrives and see what I can use with the rpi

                                            Dg9bfc

                                            sigi