Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Introduction

  • wu3v@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 26, 2012
      Matt et al, the existing ax25 utils are good but confusing, I am working on a simpler interface and hopefully can produce something useful in about a month. I am also planning to include a 44net option if possible.

      Jim
      af5ca

      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 26, 2012
        Wonderful. I look forward to learning a lot from this group.

        -Matt

        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 26, 2012

          Hi Paula,

          About a month ago I ordered one from Farnell, and despite being quoted 6 weeks it arrived in two days. This may have been a fluke, but the waiting list seems to be disappearing..

          If your ax.25 code (like mine) is largely in assembler, then porting to the pi won’t be easy, but C shouldn’t present too many problems. But linux already has ax.25 and Netrom stacks, so you can take the higher level stuff, and hook it into the existing stacks.

          73, John G8BPQ

          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 26, 2012
            Hi Paula,

            I ordered a Pi from CPC last Tuesday morning and it arrived the following day. They told me they'd had a delivery of 2000 the previous week and had 700 left. You may be lucky...

            73,

            John G4EDX
            Nottingham

            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 27, 2012

              Hi John,

              That's good news, I'd better get ordering :-)

              73, Paula

              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 27, 2012
                Hi John,

                I assumed the likes of Farnell and CPC were still trade-only, so I was thinking I might have trouble getting anyone to sell to me.

                No I don't fancy learning another machine language at my age so it'll be strictly "C", and I'll use as many of the existing hooks as possible. No point in reinventing the wheel if the wheel works ;-)

                Something else to swallow up my time, lol!

                73, Paula

                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 27, 2012

                  Ok, Paula.

                  I’m building a version of the TNC-X that uses the pi i2c bus instead of a serial port, so I’ve had to learn PIC assembler. At least the instruction set is simpler than the 80x86!

                  73, John

[...]

                • Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 27, 2012
                    I ordered mine from Element14  (Newark) Not sure what shipping would cost you...

                    www.newark.com search Raspberry Pi...

                    Jerry

                  • kd6oat
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 27, 2012
                      Hi everyone. I ordered my RPi from Allied Electronics in June and was told it would "despatch" within 11 weeks. I hope it is sooner than that. Anyway, I envision first trying to set it up to run jnos on linux. Currently, I use Ubuntu 12.04. So far, it appears this forum has some really good experience on board and should serve as a valuable resource. 73 ~ Ken
                    • Javier Henderson
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 27, 2012
                        On Aug 27, 2012, at 9:32 AM, kd6oat <kd6oat@...> wrote:

                        > Hi everyone. I ordered my RPi from Allied Electronics in June and was told it would "despatch" within 11 weeks. I hope it is sooner than that.

                        Seems that for those of us in the USA, Newark/Element14 is the best choice. I ordered mine on August 5th, and got it the following week. I've been running a tx igate with it, plus a TNC-X, for a couple of weeks now, and quite happy with it.

                        73,
                        -jav k4jh
                      • danny garvin
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 27, 2012
                          Hi all
                            I just joined the group as well I ordered my RP from Allied on 7/3 and just got it this morning. Can't wait to start playing with it.
                          73 Danny WB9RIM

                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 28, 2012
                            Same here I can report when I receive mine, unfortunately at that time I will be overseas.
                            I will report when I arrive home in mid September...

                            Jim

                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 29, 2012
                              Just notified by Allied that shipping will be delayed several more weeks. I paid for my order in June. Yikes!

                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 29, 2012
                                On Aug 29, 2012, at 7:16 AM, KD6OAT <kd6oat@...> wrote:

                                > Just notified by Allied that shipping will be delayed several more weeks. I paid for my order in June. Yikes!

                                In the USA, Newark/Element14 and MCM are the best options.

                                73,
                                -jav k4jh
                              • Denton Larson
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 29, 2012
                                  I ordered mine in July, now I am moving, I guess I will have to call!

                                  Denton WB0ZUR

                                  --

                                  Denton Larson
                                  WB0ZUR
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 29, 2012
                                    Do u have your new address... I would think it would be no problem for them to update the ship to addr///

                                    73 jerry

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 29, 2012
                                      No not yet, I will have it sent to my Mom's address , it is close

                                      Denton WB0ZUR

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 6, 2012
                                        I have dealt with cpc and farnell for many years, if they have it in stck you can collect the same day from CPC's counter in Preston so ring round and see who has it.
                                        Ian

                                        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Paula" <g8pzt@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi John,
                                        >
                                        > I assumed the likes of Farnell and CPC were still trade-only, so I was thinking I might have trouble getting anyone to sell to me.
                                        >
                                        > No I don't fancy learning another machine language at my age so it'll be strictly "C", and I'll use as many of the existing hooks as possible. No point in reinventing the wheel if the wheel works ;-)
                                        >
                                        > Something else to swallow up my time, lol!
                                        >
                                        > 73, Paula

                                      • javeaflat
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 6, 2012
                                          Had a mailing from CPC today the Raspberry pi is free delivery if you order on part code sc1259002, in stock at 24-96 + VAT
                                          Order by phone and pay by credit card.

                                          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "javeaflat" <ian@...> wrote:

                                          > I have dealt with cpc and farnell for many years, if they have it in stock you can collect the same day from CPC's counter in Preston so ring round and see who has it.
                                          > Ian
                                          >

                                          > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Paula" <g8pzt@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Hi John,
                                          > >
                                          > > I assumed the likes of Farnell and CPC were still trade-only, so I was thinking I might have trouble getting anyone to sell to me.
                                          > >
                                          > > No I don't fancy learning another machine language at my age so it'll be strictly "C", and I'll use as many of the existing hooks as possible. No point in reinventing the wheel if the wheel works ;-)
                                          > >
                                          > > Something else to swallow up my time, lol!
                                          > >
                                          > > 73, Paula

                                        • zx97lite
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Feb 4

                                            Hello!

                                            Just a quick note of introduction. When the original Raspberry Pi was introduced in 2012 I was very excited about getting it to work on PSK31 and other digital modes.  But the more research I did it became clear that there were issues doing so,  reluctantly I decided to put the project on hold.

                                            When the B+ was released last year the addition of the two USB ports was a big step forward. Then on Monday Feb 2nd when the Raspberry Pi 2 was announced I knew we had a winner and I immediately subscribed to this Yahoo Group, as already reported FLDIGI works great with the new board.

                                            Of course this is just the tip of the iceberg, there are many other applications for this diminutive computer to come. My first computer in 1979 (Apple II) was used for RTTY using Galfo Software and a Flesher TU-170, it worked great and cost $1500.

                                            Now we have a computer with a 900 MHz quad core processor, 1 GB RAM, and SD card for storage for around $35.00.

                                            Here's hoping that there sell a boatload of these things :-)

                                            Pete WB9FLW