Good Small Monitor Suggestions?

  • c6alk
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 28, 2012
      Folks:

      Has anyone discovered a small monitor, maybe 7 to 10", that has reasonably good resolution? I see several advertised on MCM and Amazon, but I am not sure if they are good enough for the job. Often the adverts don't even list the resolution in the specs.

      I could buy an HDMI to VGA converter, and use a regular VGA monitor, but those adapters are quite expensive, and seem counter to the philosophy of the PI.

      So far I have found either the low resolution monitors above, or acceptable resolution in much larger (20"+) TV type monitors.

      Just wondering what others may be using.

      Brian K7RE
      Spearfish SD USA
    • David W
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 28, 2012
        Not sure if it's what your looking for but you can get a "Laptop Dock for Motorola ATRIX 4G" for about $80.00 10" w/ keyboard. Needs some adapters.
        I have seen many Raspberry Pi people using these (I have one - works well).

        -Dave

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "c6alk" <K7RE@...> wrote:

        > Folks:
        >
        > Has anyone discovered a small monitor, maybe 7 to 10", that has reasonably good resolution? I see several advertised on MCM and Amazon, but I am not sure if they are good enough for the job. Often the adverts don't even list the resolution in the specs.
        >
        > I could buy an HDMI to VGA converter, and use a regular VGA monitor, but those adapters are quite expensive, and seem counter to the philosophy of the PI.
        >
        > So far I have found either the low resolution monitors above, or acceptable resolution in much larger (20"+) TV type monitors.
        >
        > Just wondering what others may be using.
        >
        > Brian K7RE
        > Spearfish SD USA

      • Donald Jacob
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 28, 2012
          Hi Dave,
          What type of adapters does it need for HDMI in and USB for keyboard?
          Are they readily available and decent prices?

          Thanks
          Don  WB5EKU

          On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM, David W <dwbike7@...> wrote:
          Laptop Dock for Motorola ATRIX 4G

        • flask28
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 28, 2012
            I was looking at these I found on fleabay:

            http://stores.ebay.com/chinatobby/Driver-Borad-TFT-Display-/_i.html?_fsub=485977719

            HDMI, 12v, in a variety of sizes and resolutions. I was thinking of putting my RPi in a Pelican case or something like that for mobile Packet use and I thought these might be a good monitor for that.

            But I haven't purchased one yet.

            Adam
            KF7LJH

            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "c6alk" <K7RE@...> wrote:

            > Folks:
            >
            > Has anyone discovered a small monitor, maybe 7 to 10", that has reasonably good resolution? I see several advertised on MCM and Amazon, but I am not sure if they are good enough for the job. Often the adverts don't even list the resolution in the specs.
            >
            > I could buy an HDMI to VGA converter, and use a regular VGA monitor, but those adapters are quite expensive, and seem counter to the philosophy of the PI.
            >
            > So far I have found either the low resolution monitors above, or acceptable resolution in much larger (20"+) TV type monitors.
            >
            > Just wondering what others may be using.
            >
            > Brian K7RE
            > Spearfish SD USA

          • Matthew Pitts
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 28, 2012

              http://rpidock.blogspot.com/2012/05/raspberry-pi-and-motorola-lapdock.html

              I posted the link about a month, perhaps more, ago.

              Matthew Pitts
              N8OHU

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 29, 2012
                Sorry about the crosspost Matthew. I searched after and saw yours.I will try to search first then post.
                -Dave

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 29, 2012
                  I want to thank everyone for their suggestions, they really helped. I like the Motorola solution, but I already have a nice, small footprint keyboard. The monitors on Ebay, as suggested by Adam, look like a better fit for me.

                  Next question, is how much resolution is really required? I know that the answer is subjective, and based on the size of the monitor as well.

                  Is 800*480 enough on, say, a 7" monitor? Or should I spend a few more bucks on 1024*768, or even 1366*768?

                  I expect to some Python programing on the machine, so maybe the highest resolution would best?

                  Again, I really appreciate the time spent here by you folks who have taken the time to answer my PI newbie questions.

                  Brian K7RE
                  SD

                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "flask28" <kf7ljh@...> wrote:

                  > I was looking at these I found on fleabay:
                  >
                  > http://stores.ebay.com/chinatobby/Driver-Borad-TFT-Display-/_i.html?_fsub=485977719
                  >
                  > HDMI, 12v, in a variety of sizes and resolutions. I was thinking of putting my RPi in a Pelican case or something like that for mobile Packet use and I thought these might be a good monitor for that.
                  >
                  > But I haven't purchased one yet.
                  >
                  > Adam
                  > KF7LJH
                  >
                  > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "c6alk" <K7RE@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Folks:
                  > >
                  > > Has anyone discovered a small monitor, maybe 7 to 10", that has reasonably good resolution? I see several advertised on MCM and Amazon, but I am not sure if they are good enough for the job. Often the adverts don't even list the resolution in the specs.
                  > >
                  > > I could buy an HDMI to VGA converter, and use a regular VGA monitor, but those adapters are quite expensive, and seem counter to the philosophy of the PI.
                  > >
                  > > So far I have found either the low resolution monitors above, or acceptable resolution in much larger (20"+) TV type monitors.
                  > >
                  > > Just wondering what others may be using.
                  > >
                  > > Brian K7RE
                  > > Spearfish SD USA

                • Donald Jacob
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 29, 2012
                    Matther,
                    Thanks for the info, Looks like it will fit what I need.
                    Don  WB5EKU

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 29, 2012
                      Brian, I'll just mention that I couldn't imagine doing development directly on the RPi itself on a 7" monitor. Sure, it's totally doable and more power to you. But it's so much easier to run it on the network and export xwindows to your much more powerful desktop/laptop (assuming if you have such).

                      But to your question.

                      Text size really becomes an issue at high resolutions on small screens. The RPi at 800x480 on a 7" screen is going to be really small terminal text. I couldn't use it I don't think. But having the desktop space of a higher resolution is pretty important too. The issue is the default object(fonts, windows, etc) sizes in the OS.

                      7" tablets these days run insane resolutions (my nexus 7 is 1080p) and the text is totally readable obviously. But if you ran that on your RPi you'd need a microscope to see the text when xwindows launched.

                      Now you could get into xwindows and all your xapps and seriously tweak stuff for a while and probably get it to something usable. But that's going to be a lot of work. I'm not sure I know enough about xwindows to pull that off, myself.

                      Without getting into all that, maybe a 10" at 800xWidescreen will be usable? That's a pretty small desktop, but probably readable text.

                      Again, I'm not sure that RPi+small screen = comfortable scripting environment. But I'm not sure what your ultimate plan is so I don't want to assume too much :).

                      Adam
                      KF7LJH

                      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "c6alk" <K7RE@...> wrote:

                      > I want to thank everyone for their suggestions, they really helped. I like the Motorola solution, but I already have a nice, small footprint keyboard. The monitors on Ebay, as suggested by Adam, look like a better fit for me.
                      >
                      > Next question, is how much resolution is really required? I know that the answer is subjective, and based on the size of the monitor as well.
                      >
                      > Is 800*480 enough on, say, a 7" monitor? Or should I spend a few more bucks on 1024*768, or even 1366*768?
                      >
                      > I expect to some Python programing on the machine, so maybe the highest resolution would best?
                      >
                      > Again, I really appreciate the time spent here by you folks who have taken the time to answer my PI newbie questions.
                      >
                      > Brian K7RE
                      > SD
                      >
                      > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "flask28" <kf7ljh@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > I was looking at these I found on fleabay:
                      > >
                      > > http://stores.ebay.com/chinatobby/Driver-Borad-TFT-Display-/_i.html?_fsub=485977719
                      > >
                      > > HDMI, 12v, in a variety of sizes and resolutions. I was thinking of putting my RPi in a Pelican case or something like that for mobile Packet use and I thought these might be a good monitor for that.
                      > >
                      > > But I haven't purchased one yet.
                      > >
                      > > Adam
                      > > KF7LJH
                      > >
                      > > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "c6alk" <K7RE@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Folks:
                      > > >
                      > > > Has anyone discovered a small monitor, maybe 7 to 10", that has reasonably good resolution? I see several advertised on MCM and Amazon, but I am not sure if they are good enough for the job. Often the adverts don't even list the resolution in the specs.
                      > > >
                      > > > I could buy an HDMI to VGA converter, and use a regular VGA monitor, but those adapters are quite expensive, and seem counter to the philosophy of the PI.
                      > > >
                      > > > So far I have found either the low resolution monitors above, or acceptable resolution in much larger (20"+) TV type monitors.
                      > > >
                      > > > Just wondering what others may be using.
                      > > >
                      > > > Brian K7RE
                      > > > Spearfish SD USA

                    • Donald Jacob
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 29, 2012
                        I do have to say that the R-Pi looks great on my Samsung 60" LED TV. But the family won't let me use it most of the time  :-)

                        WB5EKU

                        On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:14 PM, flask28 <kf7ljh@...> wrote:

> [...]

                        > > But I haven't purchased one yet.
                        > >
                        > > Adam
                        > > KF7LJH
                        > >
                        > > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "c6alk" <K7RE@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Folks:
                        > > >
                        > > > Has anyone discovered a small monitor, maybe 7 to 10", that has reasonably good resolution? I see several advertised on MCM and Amazon, but I am not sure if they are good enough for the job. Often the adverts don't even list the resolution in the specs.
                        > > >
                        > > > I could buy an HDMI to VGA converter, and use a regular VGA monitor, but those adapters are quite expensive, and seem counter to the philosophy of the PI.
                        > > >
                        > > > So far I have found either the low resolution monitors above, or acceptable resolution in much larger (20"+) TV type monitors.
                        > > >
                        > > > Just wondering what others may be using.

                      • c6alk
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 30, 2012
                          Hi Adam:

                          Thanks for taking the time to reply and a really helpful thought provoking set of comments. I had not thought of developing on another system via the network, that is a FB idea.

                          I probably would never be able to set up Xwindows to do the job that I need to do on a small, but high resolution monitor as you mentioned.

                          Your 10" at 800xWidescreen monitor suggestion looks like a good compromise, with my development being done on a networked machine.

                          Again, thanks for your time and your great insight.

> [...]

                          > > Is 800*480 enough on, say, a 7" monitor? Or should I spend a few more bucks on 1024*768, or even 1366*768?
                          > >
                          > > I expect to some Python programing on the machine, so maybe the highest resolution would best?
                          > >
                          > > Again, I really appreciate the time spent here by you folks who have taken the time to answer my PI newbie questions.
                          > >
                          > > Brian K7RE
                          > > SD
                          > >
                          > > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "flask28" <kf7ljh@> wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > > I was looking at these I found on fleabay:
                          > > >
                          > > > http://stores.ebay.com/chinatobby/Driver-Borad-TFT-Display-/_i.html?_fsub=485977719
                          > > >
                          > > > HDMI, 12v, in a variety of sizes and resolutions. I was thinking of putting my RPi in a Pelican case or something like that for mobile Packet use and I thought these might be a good monitor for that.

                        • Bob
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 30, 2012
                            Form what it is worth, I found the Craig TVs sold in the drug stores. It is now 90 in CVS. I got mine on sale a while ago for $80. They are cheaper online. Not 'tiny' but about the smallest TV screen sold now days.

                            I hunted for tiny screens for years, but gave up.

                            Kg2rp

                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 30, 2012
                              Here's a potential candidate http://www.amazon.com/Supersonic-SC-1311-13-Inch-60Hz-LED-Lit/dp/B005GM6H8G/

                              BTW, the other option is cross compiling.  The Pi is not particularly fast and building stuff.  I get about a 10:1 improvement in compile times using my AMD based desktop to run compiles and have some nice tools (mostly Eclipse based) for developing and managing code.  One route is using a virtual machine (say under VirtualBox) using http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=7345 -- or setting up a toolchain under Debian or Ubuntu.

                            • ve7hj
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 3, 2012
                                I just bought a DV-I to DV-I adapter and used a HDMI cable from the RPI to the adapter on the back of my computer monitor. Booted the PI and bingo have video for home use. You can also use TightVNC on the PI and connect your Ipad to the PI. The PI has to be connected to the Internet via a router etc.

                                73, James VE7HJ