Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] X Forwarding

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26, 2012
      Not sure I'm following your description.  Exporting X-Windows from the Pi to another computer running the X-Windows server works fine, I'v done it from Windows using XMing and putty, from Ubuntu running X-Window Server, and from my Mac (just now, over the Internet).

      Let's assume your pi is named 'pi' and from the Ubuntu computer you would type into, a terminal window:

      ssh -X pi@pi

      Give your pi password and you should be in a shell.

      At this point

      lxterminal &

      and you should have a terminal pop up.

      You might have to use the IP address if your X Window Server computer doesn't know about the dns name of the pi -- e.g.:

      Other than that, look at your logs.

      On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Richard Mark <rickwz8n@...> wrote:

      I have tried to implement X Forwarding on the PI.  I checked the sshd_config file to make sure that X11Forwarding was set to YES and then logged in ssh -X pi@hamradiocomputer.  The hamradiocomputer is running Ubuntu and I am logged in to the PI over ssh and all is working well there.  Then I typed the name of a simple GUI based program, putty.  After a long pause I received the message: (putty:1522): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display

      Can anyone point me down the correct path?

                             Rick
                             WZ8N

    • flask28
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 27, 2012
        Yep.

        I'm using XMing, the windows x-windows server, and putty with x-forwarding selected, and it works great.

        Adam
        KF7LJH