X Forwarding

  • Richard Mark
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26, 2012
      I have tried to implement X Forwarding on the PI.  I checked the sshd_config file to make sure that X11Forwarding was set to YES and then logged in ssh -X pi@hamradiocomputer.  The hamradiocomputer is running Ubuntu and I am logged in to the PI over ssh and all is working well there.  Then I typed the name of a simple GUI based program, putty.  After a long pause I received the message: (putty:1522): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display

      Can anyone point me down the correct path?

                             Rick
                             WZ8N
    • Hakan Koseoglu
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 26, 2012
        Richard,
        On 26 November 2012 23:22, Richard Mark <rickwz8n@...> wrote:

        > I have tried to implement X Forwarding on the PI. I checked the sshd_config file to make sure that X11Forwarding was set to YES and then logged in ssh -X pi@hamradiocomputer. The hamradiocomputer is running Ubuntu and I am logged in to the PI over ssh and all is working well there. Then I typed the name of a simple GUI based program, putty. After a long pause I received the message: (putty:1522): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display
        >
        > Can anyone point me down the correct path?

        You have to connect to the Pi with -X as well. Also you must make sure
        your own PC is capable of running X apps (if not Linux, you must
        install an X server).

        I have just tested your scenario using two Ubuntu machines (PC -- ssh
        with X --> PC -- ssh with X -> Pi) and ran an X11 application (midori,
        I did not have putty installed on my Pi) perfectly fine.
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 26, 2012
          Not sure I'm following your description.  Exporting X-Windows from the Pi to another computer running the X-Windows server works fine, I'v done it from Windows using XMing and putty, from Ubuntu running X-Window Server, and from my Mac (just now, over the Internet).

          Let's assume your pi is named 'pi' and from the Ubuntu computer you would type into, a terminal window:

          ssh -X pi@pi

          Give your pi password and you should be in a shell.

          At this point

          lxterminal &

          and you should have a terminal pop up.

          You might have to use the IP address if your X Window Server computer doesn't know about the dns name of the pi -- e.g.:

          Other than that, look at your logs.

          On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Richard Mark <rickwz8n@...> wrote:

          I have tried to implement X Forwarding on the PI.  I checked the sshd_config file to make sure that X11Forwarding was set to YES and then logged in ssh -X pi@hamradiocomputer.  The hamradiocomputer is running Ubuntu and I am logged in to the PI over ssh and all is working well there.  Then I typed the name of a simple GUI based program, putty.  After a long pause I received the message: (putty:1522): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display

          Can anyone point me down the correct path?

                                 Rick
                                 WZ8N

        • flask28
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 27, 2012
            Yep.

            I'm using XMing, the windows x-windows server, and putty with x-forwarding selected, and it works great.

            Adam
            KF7LJH