Packinging considerations

  • deadgoose38
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 16, 2014
      I have my RPi set up on my desk. Cables, adapters, power supplies, stuff all over the place. Anybody have any ideas on how to neaten things up a bit? Zip ties go only so far...

      73 /paul W3FIS
    • Stephen Black
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 16, 2014
        I stuck the PI and power supply behind my wall mounted monitor and I use a wireless mini keyboard. Now all I have is a 2"X 5" keyboard on the desk. Now the problem is sometimes I lose it between the radio's. HI HI HI
        On 1/16/2014 12:06 PM, deadgoose@... wrote:

        I have my RPi set up on my desk. Cables, adapters, power supplies, stuff all over the place. Anybody have any ideas on how to neaten things up a bit? Zip ties go only so far...

        73 /paul W3FIS

      • John Ferrell
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 16, 2014
          Unless you really need hands on frequently I would insulate it with a gallon plastic bag, put it in a cardboard shoe box and put it with your router.
          The cardboard box is easy to modify and it can all be picked up and moved easily.

          --
          John Ferrell W8CCW
          Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 16, 2014
            One of the downsides of the Rpi -- it was designed for low cost learning/experimenting, not aesthetics,  and cable connections come off all 4 sides.

            Google: Raspberry Pi Cases
            Then click the menu for images -- you'll get lots of examples, including

            On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:07 AM, John Ferrell <jferrell13@...> wrote:

            Unless you really need hands on frequently I would insulate it with a gallon plastic bag, put it in a cardboard shoe box and put it with your router.
            The cardboard box is easy to modify and it can all be picked up and moved easily.

            On 1/16/2014 12:06 PM, deadgoose@... wrote:

            I have my RPi set up on my desk. Cables, adapters, power supplies, stuff all over the place. Anybody have any ideas on how to neaten things up a bit? Zip ties go only so far...

            73 /paul W3FIS

            --
            John Ferrell W8CCW
            Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument
             when you realize you're wrong.

          • Bill Vodall
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 16, 2014

              > http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/203511141/the-spin-case-a-refined-home-for-the-raspberry-pi

              That metal case may be more radio friendly than most others.
            • James French
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 16, 2014
                I have mine mounted in a cheap toolbox that I found at Home Depot on
                clearance because of a missing latch.

                The 10.5" HD TV/monitor is mounted on the lid with short runs for all
                the connections on the back:
                Composite, VGA, antenna, A/V input and outputs. The Pi is mounted next
                to the tv/monitor.

                Closes nicely after I did a little grinding with my dremel on the tabs
                that held the tray.

                The powered USB hub is connected through a hole drilled in the lid to
                one of the tray compartments on the lid.
                Used velcro to hold that in place so if I need to move it to a better
                location for wifi reception.

                One thing I found is that I should have gotten the metal toolbox instead
                as the plastic lid on the toolbox I have
                used needs a little support for the lid when in the raised position
                because of the weight of the tv/monitor. looking
                at either a short wood stick or angle brackets to provide the support so
                the lid does not go from the 90degree to
                a 180 degree position and tipping things over. The tip over problem will
                be cured once I install a battery into the
                box.

                Other than that, I have plenty of room to store everything from keyboard
                to a 2.4Ghz vertical to extend the range
                of the wifi.

                Will hopefully upload pictures of the toolbox this weekend.

                BTW - all my cables utilize velcro wraps to maintain neatness and routing.

                James W8ISS
              • Paul Ross
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 17, 2014
                  Got my brain moving. There are some nice "Sportsman's Dry Boxes," in
                  various sizes that might fill the bill. I like the idea of the wireless
                  keyboard.

                  73 /paul W3FIS
                • Stephen Black

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 17, 2014

                      I can echo the issues with using WiFi and the keyboards.  Sometimes it’s as easy as swapping the two around.

                      73 Jack KE4LWT

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 20, 2014
                        I ended up with an upside down mini milk crate and some zip ties to secure the monitor/tv set. Stuff goes inside, cables through the holes in the side.

                        73 /paul W3FIS