HDMI Tablet

  • Don Bowen
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 11, 2014
      Is there a tablet with an HDMI input?

      --
      Don Bowen AD0BR
      "A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom."
      -Michel De Montaigne 1588
    • am_fm_radio
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 15, 2014

        Lot's of tablets have HDMI output (Vizio TAB1008)

        But I have not found any with HDMI input....there just no one designing a multiplexing/switching for a tablet. Likewise very few tablets treat the USB connection for much more than charging. So connecting a USB device to many of the tablets doesn't work either...

        Larry

      • Stephen Farthing
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 15, 2014
          Hi Guys,

          Interestingly there are a lot of cheap photo displayers here with USB inputs. I was wondering if there was scope to use one of these as a screen for the pi with a USB to HDMI convertor....

          Just a thought,

          Steve
        • vbifyz
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 15, 2014
            RPi can run vncserver, and the tablet can run vncviewer (there is a viewer available for Android). I am pretty sure VNC can be configured to clone the main display or to use the local input devices (mouse/KB) with the remote display.
            Haven't tried it myself yet, but it would make a fun project.

            73, Mike
          • westlakegeek
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 15, 2014
              Oh, I just read you want input not output.  Not likely…

              Sent from Windows Mail

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 15, 2014
                On 1/15/2014 1:38 PM, westlakegeek@... wrote:
                > Oh, I just read you want input not output. Not likely…

                I am changing my thinking on this. I am thinking that the way to do it
                is to load a web server and use WiFi. Any tablet will do even the Kindle.

                --
                Don Bowen AD0BR
                "A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom."
                -Michel De Montaigne 1588
              • Gary D. Schwartz
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 15, 2014
                  For data, a device can either be a USB host or a client.

                  A computer, desktop or laptop, is a host.

                  Peripherals are always clients.

                  A device like a smartphone or tablet is usually a client, but some
                  have apps that can make them hosts as well. I was looking into this
                  for my Android phone, haven't fully investigated and tested.

                  This is separate from charging through USB.

                  There are places that sell replacement displays for tablets, might be
                  worth looking at a way to adapt one of them.

                  Gary

                  At 10:59 AM 1/15/2014, you wrote:

                  >Lot's of tablets have HDMI output (Vizio TAB1008)
                  >
                  >But I have not found any with HDMI input....there just no one
                  >designing a multiplexing/switching for a tablet. Likewise very few
                  >tablets treat the USB connection for much more than charging. So
                  >connecting a USB device to many of the tablets doesn't work either...
                  >

                  >Larry

                  Gary D. Schwartz, N1ZCE
                  Needham, MA
                  Please reply to: n1zce@... OR n1zce@...
                • YT9TP - Pedja
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 16, 2014
                    On 15.01.14. 17:49, 3ym3ym@... wrote:
                    > RPi can run vncserver, and the tablet can run vncviewer

                    VNC server takes a lot of resources.

                    ---
                  • Andrea-IV3ONZ
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 16, 2014

                      Very very low resources.
                      I'm normally using vnc on my two rpi without problems.

                      ----

                      73 de Andrea "Andy" Tognan Iv3onz

                      web: http://www.iv3onz.altervista. org
                      bbs: iv3onz@...
                      Ampr: iv3onz.ampr.org - 44.134.185.34
                      WL2k: iv3onz@...

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 17, 2014
                        Ah, here it is:
                        http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=18916&p=331361

                        I am not sure what you mean by "a lot of resources". I know that CPU use by VNC is very low. Although running another X desktop may take some memory, it depends on how you configure it.

                        73, Mike
                      • Dale Miller
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 17, 2014
                          On 1/16/2014 11:02 AM, Andrea-IV3ONZ wrote:

                          Very very low resources.
                          I'm normally using vnc on my two rpi without problems.

                          ----

                          73 de Andrea "Andy" Tognan Iv3onz

                          web: http://www.iv3onz.altervista. org
                          bbs: iv3onz@...
                          Ampr: iv3onz.ampr.org - 44.134.185.34
                          WL2k: iv3onz@...

                          Why don't you use xrdp?
                          < http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/05/connect-to-ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin-via-windows-remote-desktop/ >

                          --
                          All the Best & 73's
                          Dale Miller, KC2CBD

                          Registered Linux User: #317401
                          Linux since June 2003
                          Registered Ubuntu User #26423

                          stpatrick3spam@...
                          stpatrick2spam@...
                          stpatrick3spam@...
                          bdchimneysweepspam@...

                          (cut the spam to reply)

                          VOTE TO REBUILD!
                          www.twintowersalliance.com
                          __

                        • kenwaldek
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 17, 2014
                            just look for tightvncserver

                            $ sudo apt-get install tightvncserver

                            works well on several rip with several programs running

                            Op 16-jan.-2014, om 18:02 heeft Andrea-IV3ONZ <iv3onz@...> het volgende geschreven: