PI on packet radio - need script help

  • kc2eq
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 17, 2012
      I have my PI running on packet radio just fine thru an external rs232/UART PCB.
      I am using MiniCom and have to type a string of variables when I start the program.
      I would like to generate a script file (?) where I could issue a single keyword like "Packet" and have it start MiniCom with its variables . I have a basic understanding of IDLE and Python but I need a raw beginners (exact Syntax) to make a script file to work. I don't care if the final product that has to be used in xterm or from the GUI.
      The string I am trying in to get into an executable is:

      MiniCom -b 1200 -o -D /dev/ttyAMA0

      I have tried to find a GUI based terminal program that allows one to enter set up data after starting but no success there. (Putty, cutecom , microcom)

      Any help would be greatly appreciated

      John/KC2E
    • John Hays
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 17, 2012
        Edit (your favorite text editor) a file named packet

        Write into it

        MiniCom -b 1200 -o -D /dev/ttyAMA0

        Save it.

        Make it executable by typing

        sudo chmod +x packet

        Execute it

        ./packet

        Done.

        You can also do this without an editor

        echo "MiniCom -b 1200 -o -D /dev/ttyAMA0" > packet

        chmod +x packet

        If you move it to something on your path you can execute it as packet from anywhere rather than ./packet from the directory where you created it.

        You can find your path by

        echo $PATH

        Then if you see something like /usr/local/bin

        cp packet /usr/local/bin

        Et voila!

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Nov 17, 2012, at 5:55 AM, "kc2eq" <kc2eq@...> wrote:

        > MiniCom -b 1200 -o -D /dev/ttyAMA0
      • Bill Shell
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 17, 2012
          John,

          PuTTY is available for the RPi.
          sudo apt-get install putty

          73, Bill
          N6WS

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 17, 2012
            Bill, thanks for the information. Does PUTTY allow you to set ports and other parameters after it starts?

            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Bill Shell <n6ws@...> wrote:

            > John,
            >
            > PuTTY is available for the RPi.
            > sudo apt-get install putty
            >
            > 73, Bill
            > N6WS
            >
            > On 11/17/2012 05:55 AM, kc2eq wrote:
            > >
            > > I have my PI running on packet radio just fine thru an external
            > > rs232/UART PCB.
            > > I am using MiniCom and have to type a string of variables when I start
            > > the program.
            > > I would like to generate a script file (?) where I could issue a
            > > single keyword like "Packet" and have it start MiniCom with its
            > > variables . I have a basic understanding of IDLE and Python but I need
            > > a raw beginners (exact Syntax) to make a script file to work. I don't
            > > care if the final product that has to be used in xterm or from the GUI.
            > > The string I am trying in to get into an executable is:
            > >
            > > MiniCom -b 1200 -o -D /dev/ttyAMA0
            > >
            > > I have tried to find a GUI based terminal program that allows one to
            > > enter set up data after starting but no success there. (Putty, cutecom
            > > , microcom)
            > >
            > > Any help would be greatly appreciated
            > >
            > > John/KC2E

          • kc2eq
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 17, 2012
              Thanks, I will give it a try .

              John/KC2EQ

              --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, John Hays <john@...> wrote:

              > Edit (your favorite text editor) a file named packet
              >
              > Write into it
              >
              > MiniCom -b 1200 -o -D /dev/ttyAMA0
              >
              > Save it.
              >
              > Make it executable by typing
              >
              > sudo chmod +x packet
              >
              > Execute it
              >
              > ./packet
              >
              > Done.
              >
              > You can also do this without an editor
              >
              > echo "MiniCom -b 1200 -o -D /dev/ttyAMA0" > packet
              >
              > chmod +x packet

              > If you move it to something on your path you can execute it as packet from anywhere rather than ./packet from the directory where you created it.
              >
              > You can find your path by
              >
              > echo $PATH
              >
              > Then if you see something like /usr/local/bin
              >
              > cp packet /usr/local/bin
              >
              > Et voila!
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On Nov 17, 2012, at 5:55 AM, "kc2eq" <kc2eq@...> wrote:
              >
              > > MiniCom -b 1200 -o -D /dev/ttyAMA0

            • Richard Mark
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 17, 2012
                I run minicom on the Raspberry with the parameters I need for the PK-88 I'm using.  Just save the configuration under a unique name like "packet" and all should connect as your configuration indicates.  I'm just a newbie so you shouldn't have any trouble either.

                         Rick

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 17, 2012

                  John,
                  You can use the text editor or you can use the configuration feature in Minicom. Just do a CTRL A then Z and you will get a big menu.  Select "o" and then set up your parameters. Then hit return and you will get another menu.   Type in the name you want to call the configured file for Minicom and hit return.  I may have missed a key stroke, but you'll get the idea.  It's really quite friendly.

                              Rick

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 17, 2012
                    Yes, select Connection Type Serial, and then put the dev info '/dev/ttyAMA0' in the Serial Line box.

                    On 11/17/2012 02:47 PM, kc2eq wrote:

                    Bill, thanks for the information. Does PUTTY allow you to set ports and other parameters after it starts?

                    --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Bill Shell <n6ws@...> wrote:

                    > John,
                    >
                    > PuTTY is available for the RPi.
                    > sudo apt-get install putty
                    >
                    > 73, Bill
                    > N6WS
                    >
                    > On 11/17/2012 05:55 AM, kc2eq wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I have my PI running on packet radio just fine thru an external
                    > > rs232/UART PCB.
                    > > I am using MiniCom and have to type a string of variables when I start
                    > > the program.
                    > > I would like to generate a script file (?) where I could issue a
                    > > single keyword like "Packet" and have it start MiniCom with its
                    > > variables . I have a basic understanding of IDLE and Python but I need
                    > > a raw beginners (exact Syntax) to make a script file to work. I don't
                    > > care if the final product that has to be used in xterm or from the GUI.
                    > > The string I am trying in to get into an executable is:
                    > >
                    > > MiniCom -b 1200 -o -D /dev/ttyAMA0
                    > >
                    > > I have tried to find a GUI based terminal program that allows one to
                    > > enter set up data after starting but no success there. (Putty, cutecom
                    > > , microcom)
                    > >
                    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated
                    > >
                    > > John/KC2E

                  • kc2eq
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 18, 2012
                      Thanks for the MiniCom config info. I did read the menu but did not understand it. Your definition makes more sense. I will give it a try. I did get the "single word" config start up file to work thanks to some good input here on the users group. I also tried PUTTY and it also can be configured for my serial/UART IO packet TNC operation. But it does not run as fast as MiniCom. Probably because PUTTY runs through the GUI which of course eats RAM. All and all I am pleased where this all has ended up. Thanks guys, great help.

                      John/KC2EQ