Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Changing Desktop

  • David Kjellquist
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2012
      After starting x-windows (aka LXDE desktop) simply right click anywhere on the screen and select (left click) desktop preferences.  This pops up a window allowing you to change the background and how it's shown aka center, stretch etc.

      Here is the google'd reference
      http://www.linuceum.com/Distros/osDesktopConfigLXDE.php

      On 11/11/2012 7:28 PM, Brian wrote:

      I know this sounds crazy, but I can't get the desktop to change.

      I've customised a software 'image' for my school IT department as a favour (I teach Mathematics, not IT), and wanted to add a custom desktop with the school logo.

      BUT, the background won't change! I've copied the file across etc. and used the 'preferences' but it simply will not change.

      The image includes: SSH server, VNCServer x 2, WebServer, and FTP Server.

      73
      Brian

      G8OSN/W8OSN
      www.g8osn.net

    • Brian
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 12, 2012
        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, David Kjellquist <dave@...> wrote:

        > After starting x-windows (aka LXDE desktop) simply right click anywhere
        > on the screen and select (left click) desktop preferences. This pops up
        > a window allowing you to change the background and how it's shown aka
        > center, stretch etc.

        Thank you Dave, I'd tried that and located where the 'target' file is really located, the type, size etc. I'd place a new file of the correct type and size in the same directory and used the procedure you refer to to select it.

        The problem is, it didn't change.

        File permission all look good.

        I'm assuming I've missing some nuance which I was hoping someone else knew.

        It isn't a 'show stopper', I've got everthing else working, it would just be nice to have the school logo on the desktop.

        It seems such a trival thing, every thing else has been straight forward- well other than trying to reuse some SD cards. Than is causing some grief at the moment.

        73
        Brian
      • David Kjellquist
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 13, 2012
          I guess I'm not sure what the problem is.  Here is how I changed my desktop.

          Grabbed a convenient .jpg file.  Brought it into my pi home. then did a sudo cp to the /etc/alternatives directory.

          The used the procedure below to change the desktop background to the new jpg file.  No problem!