just plain ol'packet on RPI?

  • k3mmb
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 27, 2013
      i have a rpi with tnc-pi board and simply want to put up plain old vhf packet station. any suggestions for a rookie?

      73 de K3MMB/mike
    • pa0esh
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2013
        Mike
        I have updated an install script for aprs on a Raspberry. It now gives you the selection of installing:
        • Soundmodem incl. testing and adjusting of the audio
        • Dantracker N7NIX
        • aprx
        • dixprs
        • xastir - looks to me that it serves your purpose
        • gpsd
        Create a fresh debian wheezy 4Gb card and get in script here. Put it in usr/src, chmod 755 the file and then run it: /usr/src/aprx.sh
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade && cd /usr/src && sudo wget http://www.pa0esh.nl/aprs/rpi/aprx.sh && sudo chmod 755 aprx.sh && sudo ./aprx.sh

        see my website www.pa0esh.nl

        73's Erik

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 30, 2013

          Mike,

          If you are new to the pi, but familiar with “plain old packet”, then I’d suggest you consider using LinBPQ, the Linux version of the BPQ node package that has been around for about 25 years, so should qualify as old!

          If you are new to both the pi and packet, then it still may be worth considering LinBPQ, but it depends on what aspects of packet you are interested in For example, if your only interest is APRS, then there may be simpler packages to use.

          73,

          John G8BPQ

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2014

            thank you Erik,

            I will give it a try.

            73 mike

          • k3mmb
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2014

              thank you

              john,

              basically,just want to back track and refresh my brain cells, before I move on to bigger and better things.

              the pi is a good affordable platform to try all the toys out there.

              73 de mike