TNC-Pi / wireless conflict ?

  • kadlam262
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 16, 2013
      Finally wired up my tnc and have it mounted to the RPi. I'm puzzeled by a problem I am having. I have followed the instructions on page 13 of the TNC-Pi User Guide (11/11/2013), edited the files: /boot/cmdline.txt,  /etc/inittab and /etc/ax25/axports as instructed.

      I operate my RPi remotely using a Belkin N300 USB wireless adapter. When I try

      sudo kissattach /dev/ttyAMA0 1 44.40.1.40

      the wireless connection appears to drop and I cannot bring it back to life unless I reboot and start over OR plug in the ethernet cable connected to the router.

      With ethernet cable plugged in, I can control the RPi,  execute the axlisten and axcall commands without issue but not with the wireless adapter. .

      I appreciate any suggestions.

      Thanks, Ken - KD6OAT

      Here are my axports and cmdline edits:
      ---
      # /etc/ax25/axports
      #
      # The format of this file is:
      #
      # name callsign speed paclen window description
      #
      1      KD6OAT-1        19200   236     2       TNC 1
      ---
      pi@raspberrypi /boot $ cat cmdline.txt
      sudo axdwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait

    • Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 17, 2013

        I have having a similar problem when I start ax25 (uronode)(No Hardware attached otherwise.) it does the same thing. My Wifi goes dead. Only a reboot brings it back to life. Yet the Ethernet connection works fine…

        Interested if you find the issue .. I will share anything I find as well..

        What Wifi adapter you using.. 73 jerry n9lya

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 17, 2013
          I had issues with "ifplugd"...you might check that out...it behaved badly and would down ALL interfaces, but it would bring them back up after, just with different ip's as if it started new again...there's a config file in /etc I think, or /etc/defaults for it...

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 17, 2013

                Have you edited /etc/network/interfaces at all? Also, are you trying to link to a wireless router or making an adhok connection?

                This link might help you out. https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse

              • kadlam262
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 18, 2013

                  Thanks for the replies. I'm still looking for a solution but I think I'm narrowing in on the problem. Here is a summary of what I have found so far:
                  a.  'kissattach' causes my wireless to disconnect

                  b.  I can reconnect via ethernet without re-booting the RPi

                  c.  once re-connected (via ethernet), kill the kissattach process

                  d.  disconnect the ethernet, and re-connect using wireless (again, without re-booting)

                  So, it would appear, there is something in the kissattach process that is causing the wireless adapter to stop working. Once the process is stopped, the wireless works.

                  ---In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@{{emailDomain}}, <vk2bos.lists@...> wrote:

                  I had a similar problem with aprx and Raspian.  My guess is that aprx uses the ax-25 libraries to
                • Max Harper

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 23, 2013

                      SOLVED

                      As it turns out, the solution to this was fairly simple.
                      Edit the file /etc/default/ifplugd as shown below (#commented out old lines)

                      #INTERFACES="all"

                      INTERFACES=wlan0

                      #HOTPLUG_INTERFACES="all"

                      HOTPLUG_INTERFACES=wlan0

                      At least I think the problem is solved...for now.

                      ~Ken KD6OAT