Re: Greetings from New member

  • gkidsonpetlem
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 10, 2012
      Thanks, Will check it out.

      73.

      Gordon

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Perry Chamberlain <canoeman@...> wrote:

      > Adafriut makes a nice gps sheil that connects up to R PI, and a active puck antenna that
      > Connect to it.
      > Check out adafruit.com.
      >
      > Ke6anm
      >

      > Sent from my iPad
      >
      > On Nov 7, 2012, at 4:42 AM, "gkidsonpetlem" <gordon@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi All.
      > >
      > > I'm Gordon, 2e0KPG, located in South Hampshire, UK.
      > >
      > > I'm a not very experienced Ham, and even less experienced in Linux - I've ordered, but not yet recieved, my RPi. I have little programming experience in programming, but reasonable experience with netwroking and non-standard software in Windows (back to 3.1...)
      > >
      > > I have several ideas for applications for my Pi, I can imagine more than one may be needed in future:
      > >
      > > In Car Entertainment/Navigation - I currently use a butchered
      > > old XP laptop hooked up to a lilliput Touchscreen, but its a
      > > cumbersome setup. Anyone know of a GPS Dongle workw with RPi?
      > >
      > > APRS/Marine AIS Igate - I use both these technologies, but find
      > > coverage locally to me is very limited. I'd like a setup which
      > > recieves AIS and gates to internet, and an APRS Igate to
      > > web/ digipeater on 144.800... Possibly using one of the really
      > > cheap chinese handies as a transciever on ham side?
      > >
      > > Mobile APRS message handler/mapping software/BEacon - Interested
      > > in the TNC that John is working on here... Any chance of adding
      > > a GPS as well??
      > >
      > > So, Its evident my main ham use is APRS - I currently use an old XP toshiba laptop, and one of the Cross-country wireless tnc/tracker (USB version). I then hook it into either my antique Yaesu Ft8100, or my little Alinco handy. The mobile rig in my Land Rover works best, as I find that 5 watts from handy is not quite enough in my area (low-lying, fairly heavily built up, hills inland...)
      > >
      > > In an ideal world, I'd probably build a box containing a TNC/tracker, a 10w transciever (fixed on 144.800) and a Pi (if they turn out to be powerful enough) so I can just plug it into power, an antenna, keyboard, mouse and VDU and off we go... Messaging, tracking, mapping etc all in one box... Anyone done anything similar?
      > >
      > > Anyways,
      > > That's me, and what I'm working on...
      > >
      > > 73
      > > Gordon 2E0KPG

    • Brian Jones
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 11, 2012
        The 'fix' for sound to work well as a media centre is to use HDMI :)  HDMI sound is excellent but the built in analog sound drivers crackle badly every time they are started and stopped. AFAIK there has not been a fix for this and iti s supposed to be quite hard to ramp up the Alsa volume on starting a sound stream.

        Normally to change soundcards in linux you can use Alsamixer - I haven't got an external soundcard for my shack Pi yet (the other PI is indeed a media centre using HDMI for both sound and video) so I haven't tried this. I will be interested in your results when you get an external USB sound card working to know whether the Alsa crackling problem is only on the built-in card or whether it occurs on USB cards too. I've been playing about with speech synth and the startup-stop noise is annoying.

        Brian G0UKB