uninstalling program?

  • Beau
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 19, 2013
      Hi All
      I ssh into my pi
      I would like to uninstall fldigi I known when it installed it got other
      packages
      what command can i use to uninstall all parts
      73 beau n9mfk
    • Am Fm
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 19, 2013
        I believe there is a variable to apt-get
        I'm not going to give it away and I'm in the office...

        The education you are going to get is....
        the command "man"  it's for manual.

        man apt-get

        that will show you the manual for apt-get.....

        If you're new to linus and man-  return advances 1 line... space bar pages down
        you have to use CTRL Z to exit. CTRL C or CTRL X may also exit.

        Your homework assignment is to play with "man" try:
        man df
        man ls
        man lshw

        73's

        Larry W8LM

        On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:02 AM, Beau <n9mfk@...> wrote:

        Hi All
        I ssh into my pi
        I would like to uninstall fldigi I known when it installed it got other
        packages
        what command can i use to uninstall all parts
        73 beau n9mfk

      • Ray Wells
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 19, 2013
          On 20/11/13 02:02, Beau wrote:

          Hi All
          I ssh into my pi
          I would like to uninstall fldigi I known when it installed it got other
          packages
          what command can i use to uninstall all parts
          73 beau n9mfk

          _
          Beau,

          use apt-get remove fldigi to remove that package, then apt-get autoremove to remove unused packages.

          Take a look at apt-get --help to see the options.

          Ray vk2tv

        • Eldon Brown
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 19, 2013
            Try:  apt-get purge fldigi

            Regards,
            Eldon Brown

            73 - Eldon - WA0UWH - CN88xc - http://WA0UWH.blogspot.com/

            On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Am Fm <am_fm_radio@...> wrote:

[...]

          • KC2IDB
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 19, 2013
              If your using debian its apt-get autoremove (packagenamehere)

              Sent from my Sprint tablet

              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 19, 2013

                Sudo apt-get remove “application name”

                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 19, 2013
                  This is a "give a man a fish vs teach a man how to fish" moment.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 19, 2013

                    I always preferred the teach a man to fish theory.  But for that to work, they have to be willing.

                    I am not sure that is the case here.  The answer is easily found by putting the question into a search engine.

                    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+uninstall+a+program+in+linux

                    When I started dabbling with Linux in the mid 90's there weren't as many answers readily available on the net, but there were local Linux users groups.  Failing that, I would ask my friend.  His answer was always the same "read the man page"

                    With that said, I have another friend who picked up a Raspberry Pi, and totally missed the whole idea that it is a learning platform.  When he asks me to set it up, I tell him to go finger diddle his Iphone and play angry birds and shut up :-)

                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 20, 2013

                      I agree completely, and there’s also the thought that the gentlemen may have just needed an answer quickly due to time constraints.

                      I’m in the linux learning process myself, and have been utilizing the “google search” for a lot, and even then sometimes come up with a dozen ways to accomplish the same thing.

                      Jack KE4LWT

[...]

                        PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223��

                        ����

                        ��

                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 20, 2013
                          I guess you guys missed the hey day of Amateur Radio when help was freely given when questions were asked. Nobody ever said "go buy the ARRL/RSGB Handbook and find out for yourself."

                          I also guess you never saw those words in the Amateurs' Code about being friendly and helpful.

                          To all newbies out there, keep asking your questions, because the majority of list subscribers will try to help you.

                          Ray vk2tv

                          FWIW I've been using Linux since1993/94 and I've rarely found help in the man pages. Sure there's lots of information there but a description and a list of command line options is a long way from giving practical examples on how to use that information. My saying has long been, "the man pages are written BY people who don't need them, FOR people who don't need them".

                          Ray vk2tv

                          ��

                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 20, 2013
                            On 11/19/2013 9:02 AM, Beau wrote:
                            > Hi All
                            > I ssh into my pi
                            > I would like to uninstall fldigi I known when it installed it got other
                            > packages
                            > what command can i use to uninstall all parts
                            > 73 beau n9mfk

                            I think apt-get purge <package-name> will do it.
                            You could do an apt-get autoclean after to make sure.

                            Here is an apt-get page for help.
                            https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto

                            --
                            All the Best & 73's
                            Dale Miller, KC2CBD

                            Registered Linux User: #317401
                            Linux since June 2003
                            Registered Ubuntu User #26423

                            stpatrick3spam@...
                            stpatrick2spam@...
                            stpatrick3spam@...
                            bdchimneysweepspam@...

                            (cut the spam to reply)

                            VOTE TO REBUILD!
                            www.twintowersalliance.com
                            __
                          • Ed Thierbach
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 21, 2013
                              There is more than one way to install fldigi.  If you used `apt-get install` to install it, then everyone's advice will work.  If, however, you used these directions:

                              to install the static binaries from a tar archive, then you will need to manually remove the files installed into $HOME/bin (cd to that directory then use the 'rm' command to remove them)

                              To remove the prerequisites, it depends on how you installed them:
                              - if you used apt-get install to install them, use apt-get remove to remove them
                              - if you used 'make install', then try 'make uninstall' from the same directory

                              The flexibility of Linux often makes Linux more complex, so the more info you can share, the better we can help.

                              73,
                              -Ed- AB8OJ

                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 21, 2013
                                Ed,

                                Good point. Thanks for your input.

                                Ray vk2tv

                                On 22/11/13 00:39, Ed Thierbach wrote:

                                There is more than one way to install fldigi.  If you used `apt-get install` to install it, then everyone's advice will work.  If, however, you used these directions:

                                to install the static binaries from a tar archive, then you will need to manually remove the files installed into $HOME/bin (cd to that directory then use the 'rm' command to remove them)

                                To remove the prerequisites, it depends on how you installed them:
                                - if you used apt-get install to install them, use apt-get remove to remove them
                                - if you used 'make install', then try 'make uninstall' from the same directory

                                The flexibility of Linux often makes Linux more complex, so the more info you can share, the better we can help.

                                73,
                                -Ed- AB8OJ

                              • Simon Thompson

[...]

                                  Recent Activity:
                                  (Please trim inclusions from previous messages)
                                  Yahoo! Groups
                                • n4lbl
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 2, 2013
                                    For reasons I can't fathom computers seem to raise the hormone level of discussions.  In my experience if a ham is asked what size resistor should go in series with some LED under some conditions there will be a discussion of ohms law and a solution, not a brief answer like "12Ω".

                                    As a retired IT person I've wondered why someone would ask the same question time after time.  I'd bet that the most common reason is that they've, for whatever reason, not learned the basics.  (Looking at that last sentence I could use some writing basics!)  Given that belief I generally want to help with basics, but I try to be sensitive to when it is unwelcome.  If I detect that I'll generally give a quick answer, once.

                                    Back to this thread:  To my knowledge the original request one time.  The long and short answers are both right.

                                    Alan,,, n4lbl

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Dec 3, 2013
                                          Great pun I love it
                                          -- Larry

                                          Ray Wells <vk2tv@...> wrote:

                                          And he was easily wound up.

                                          Ray vk2tv

                                          n4lbl <alan.schulman@...> wrote:

[...]

                                        • siegfried jackstien
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Dec 3, 2013
                                            And ... i know a ham who makes nice clocks with marbles (aka rolling ball clock)

                                            Dg9bfc

                                            Sigi

                                          • Ed Humphries
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Dec 3, 2013