Introduction

  • MattB
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 26, 2012
      Hello, all.

      I'm Matt, KC2O, from San Francisco, and I've been interested in developing a platform for a low-cost, low-power packet-based emcomm BBS system.

      I have a fair bit of experience with PIC and Arduino-based projects, but neither of those seemed to be sophisticated enough to do what I think is needed. Combining RaspberryPi with a TNC-X (or customized equivalent) will be perfect.

      (Incidentally, I just rebuilt the AX.25-including bootc kernel to support my wifi usb dongle, by following Dominique Gallot's excellent notes here: http://www.gallot.be/?p=150.)

      While I have a fair bit of experience with Linux, I'm new to packet, and look forward to getting help from this group.

      -Matt KC2O
    • Paula
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 26, 2012
        Hi all, I'm Paula G8PZT and I don't yet own a Pi but would very much like to
        :-)

        My interest is in writing software for data-over-radio networking, VOIP, and
        SDR. Also have emcomms in the back of my mind.

        I am hoping to port my applications to the Pi, so I can junk the power
        hungry and space wasting PC's that power my packet systems and VOIP
        repeater. I'd also like to develop new applications to take advantage of
        this exciting little device.

        I have very little experience of Linux, being mainly a spare-time DOS and
        Windows programmer (asm/c/c++), but I'm hoping this device will finally give
        me the push I needed to get my apps ported to Linux.

        Now I just need to buy one, or more... ;-) [I was told there was a big
        waiting list, so I waited for the rush to die down]

        73, Paula
      • wu3v@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 26, 2012
          Matt et al, the existing ax25 utils are good but confusing, I am working on a simpler interface and hopefully can produce something useful in about a month. I am also planning to include a 44net option if possible.

          Jim
          af5ca

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 26, 2012
            Wonderful. I look forward to learning a lot from this group.

            -Matt

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 26, 2012

              Hi Paula,

              About a month ago I ordered one from Farnell, and despite being quoted 6 weeks it arrived in two days. This may have been a fluke, but the waiting list seems to be disappearing..

              If your ax.25 code (like mine) is largely in assembler, then porting to the pi won’t be easy, but C shouldn’t present too many problems. But linux already has ax.25 and Netrom stacks, so you can take the higher level stuff, and hook it into the existing stacks.

              73, John G8BPQ

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 26, 2012
                Hi Paula,

                I ordered a Pi from CPC last Tuesday morning and it arrived the following day. They told me they'd had a delivery of 2000 the previous week and had 700 left. You may be lucky...

                73,

                John G4EDX
                Nottingham

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 27, 2012

                  Hi John,

                  That's good news, I'd better get ordering :-)

                  73, Paula

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 27, 2012
                    Hi John,

                    I assumed the likes of Farnell and CPC were still trade-only, so I was thinking I might have trouble getting anyone to sell to me.

                    No I don't fancy learning another machine language at my age so it'll be strictly "C", and I'll use as many of the existing hooks as possible. No point in reinventing the wheel if the wheel works ;-)

                    Something else to swallow up my time, lol!

                    73, Paula

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 27, 2012

                      Ok, Paula.

                      I’m building a version of the TNC-X that uses the pi i2c bus instead of a serial port, so I’ve had to learn PIC assembler. At least the instruction set is simpler than the 80x86!

                      73, John

[...]

                    • Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 27, 2012
                        I ordered mine from Element14  (Newark) Not sure what shipping would cost you...

                        www.newark.com search Raspberry Pi...

                        Jerry

                      • kd6oat
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 27, 2012
                          Hi everyone. I ordered my RPi from Allied Electronics in June and was told it would "despatch" within 11 weeks. I hope it is sooner than that. Anyway, I envision first trying to set it up to run jnos on linux. Currently, I use Ubuntu 12.04. So far, it appears this forum has some really good experience on board and should serve as a valuable resource. 73 ~ Ken
                        • Javier Henderson
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 27, 2012
                            On Aug 27, 2012, at 9:32 AM, kd6oat <kd6oat@...> wrote:

                            > Hi everyone. I ordered my RPi from Allied Electronics in June and was told it would "despatch" within 11 weeks. I hope it is sooner than that.

                            Seems that for those of us in the USA, Newark/Element14 is the best choice. I ordered mine on August 5th, and got it the following week. I've been running a tx igate with it, plus a TNC-X, for a couple of weeks now, and quite happy with it.

                            73,
                            -jav k4jh
                          • danny garvin
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 27, 2012
                              Hi all
                                I just joined the group as well I ordered my RP from Allied on 7/3 and just got it this morning. Can't wait to start playing with it.
                              73 Danny WB9RIM

                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 28, 2012
                                Same here I can report when I receive mine, unfortunately at that time I will be overseas.
                                I will report when I arrive home in mid September...

                                Jim

                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 29, 2012
                                  Just notified by Allied that shipping will be delayed several more weeks. I paid for my order in June. Yikes!

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 29, 2012
                                    On Aug 29, 2012, at 7:16 AM, KD6OAT <kd6oat@...> wrote:

                                    > Just notified by Allied that shipping will be delayed several more weeks. I paid for my order in June. Yikes!

                                    In the USA, Newark/Element14 and MCM are the best options.

                                    73,
                                    -jav k4jh
                                  • Denton Larson
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 29, 2012
                                      I ordered mine in July, now I am moving, I guess I will have to call!

                                      Denton WB0ZUR

                                      --

                                      Denton Larson
                                      WB0ZUR
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 29, 2012
                                        Do u have your new address... I would think it would be no problem for them to update the ship to addr///

                                        73 jerry

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 29, 2012
                                          No not yet, I will have it sent to my Mom's address , it is close

                                          Denton WB0ZUR

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 6, 2012
                                            I have dealt with cpc and farnell for many years, if they have it in stck you can collect the same day from CPC's counter in Preston so ring round and see who has it.
                                            Ian

                                            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Paula" <g8pzt@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi John,
                                            >
                                            > I assumed the likes of Farnell and CPC were still trade-only, so I was thinking I might have trouble getting anyone to sell to me.
                                            >
                                            > No I don't fancy learning another machine language at my age so it'll be strictly "C", and I'll use as many of the existing hooks as possible. No point in reinventing the wheel if the wheel works ;-)
                                            >
                                            > Something else to swallow up my time, lol!
                                            >
                                            > 73, Paula

                                          • javeaflat
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 6, 2012
                                              Had a mailing from CPC today the Raspberry pi is free delivery if you order on part code sc1259002, in stock at 24-96 + VAT
                                              Order by phone and pay by credit card.