Greetings from New member

  • gkidsonpetlem
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2012
      Hi All.

      I'm Gordon, 2e0KPG, located in South Hampshire, UK.

      I'm a not very experienced Ham, and even less experienced in Linux - I've ordered, but not yet recieved, my RPi. I have little programming experience in programming, but reasonable experience with netwroking and non-standard software in Windows (back to 3.1...)

      I have several ideas for applications for my Pi, I can imagine more than one may be needed in future:

      In Car Entertainment/Navigation - I currently use a butchered
      old XP laptop hooked up to a lilliput Touchscreen, but its a
      cumbersome setup. Anyone know of a GPS Dongle workw with RPi?

      APRS/Marine AIS Igate - I use both these technologies, but find
      coverage locally to me is very limited. I'd like a setup which
      recieves AIS and gates to internet, and an APRS Igate to
      web/ digipeater on 144.800... Possibly using one of the really
      cheap chinese handies as a transciever on ham side?

      Mobile APRS message handler/mapping software/BEacon - Interested
      in the TNC that John is working on here... Any chance of adding
      a GPS as well??

      So, Its evident my main ham use is APRS - I currently use an old XP toshiba laptop, and one of the Cross-country wireless tnc/tracker (USB version). I then hook it into either my antique Yaesu Ft8100, or my little Alinco handy. The mobile rig in my Land Rover works best, as I find that 5 watts from handy is not quite enough in my area (low-lying, fairly heavily built up, hills inland...)

      In an ideal world, I'd probably build a box containing a TNC/tracker, a 10w transciever (fixed on 144.800) and a Pi (if they turn out to be powerful enough) so I can just plug it into power, an antenna, keyboard, mouse and VDU and off we go... Messaging, tracking, mapping etc all in one box... Anyone done anything similar?

      Anyways,
      That's me, and what I'm working on...

      73
      Gordon 2E0KPG
    • Perry Chamberlain
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2012
        Adafriut makes a nice gps sheil that connects up to R PI, and a active puck antenna that
        Connect to it.
        Check out adafruit.com.

        Ke6anm

        Sent from my iPad

[...]

      • John Knott
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2012
          Regarding Power of Pi

          Benchmark find all the primes up to 10,000,000 with sieve program (no floating point involved) written in C compiled on target platform no optisimation.
          Pi 9 secs
          XP 1.8 GB laptop 1.8 sec
          Macbook  .9 sec
          8 core 3.4 GB Xeon .9 sec (but could run 4 copies simultaneously without slowing)

           #include <stdlib.h>
           int main(int argc, char **argv) {
                  int     top_value = 10000000;
                  int     count     = top_value - 1;
                  int     *array    = calloc( top_value + 1, sizeof(int));
                  int     i, prime, multiple;
                  /* mark each int as potentially prime                                    */
                  for (i=2; i <= top_value; ++i)
                          array[i] = 1;
                  /* for each starting prime, mark its every multiple as non-prime         */
                  for (prime = 2; prime <= top_value; ++prime)
                  {
                          if (array[prime])
                                  for (multiple = 2*prime; multiple <= top_value; multiple += prime)
                                          if (array[multiple]) {
                                                  array[multiple] = 0;
                                                  --count;
                                          }
                  }
                  /* Now that we have marked all multiples of primes as non-prime, print   */
                  /* the remaining numbers that fell through the sieve, and are thus prime */
                  for (i=2; i <= top_value; ++i)
                  {
                  //        if (array[i])
          //                      printf("%d ", i);

                 }
                  printf("\n\n %d primes up to %d found.\n", count, top_value);
                  exit(0);
           }

        • gkidsonpetlem
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 10, 2012
            Thanks, Will check it out.

            73.

            Gordon

            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Perry Chamberlain <canoeman@...> wrote:

            > Adafriut makes a nice gps sheil that connects up to R PI, and a active puck antenna that
            > Connect to it.
            > Check out adafruit.com.
            >
            > Ke6anm
            >

            > Sent from my iPad
            >
            > On Nov 7, 2012, at 4:42 AM, "gkidsonpetlem" <gordon@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi All.
            > >
            > > I'm Gordon, 2e0KPG, located in South Hampshire, UK.
            > >
            > > I'm a not very experienced Ham, and even less experienced in Linux - I've ordered, but not yet recieved, my RPi. I have little programming experience in programming, but reasonable experience with netwroking and non-standard software in Windows (back to 3.1...)
            > >
            > > I have several ideas for applications for my Pi, I can imagine more than one may be needed in future:
            > >
            > > In Car Entertainment/Navigation - I currently use a butchered
            > > old XP laptop hooked up to a lilliput Touchscreen, but its a
            > > cumbersome setup. Anyone know of a GPS Dongle workw with RPi?
            > >
            > > APRS/Marine AIS Igate - I use both these technologies, but find
            > > coverage locally to me is very limited. I'd like a setup which
            > > recieves AIS and gates to internet, and an APRS Igate to
            > > web/ digipeater on 144.800... Possibly using one of the really
            > > cheap chinese handies as a transciever on ham side?
            > >
            > > Mobile APRS message handler/mapping software/BEacon - Interested
            > > in the TNC that John is working on here... Any chance of adding
            > > a GPS as well??
            > >
            > > So, Its evident my main ham use is APRS - I currently use an old XP toshiba laptop, and one of the Cross-country wireless tnc/tracker (USB version). I then hook it into either my antique Yaesu Ft8100, or my little Alinco handy. The mobile rig in my Land Rover works best, as I find that 5 watts from handy is not quite enough in my area (low-lying, fairly heavily built up, hills inland...)
            > >
            > > In an ideal world, I'd probably build a box containing a TNC/tracker, a 10w transciever (fixed on 144.800) and a Pi (if they turn out to be powerful enough) so I can just plug it into power, an antenna, keyboard, mouse and VDU and off we go... Messaging, tracking, mapping etc all in one box... Anyone done anything similar?
            > >
            > > Anyways,
            > > That's me, and what I'm working on...
            > >
            > > 73
            > > Gordon 2E0KPG

          • Brian Jones
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 11, 2012
              The 'fix' for sound to work well as a media centre is to use HDMI :)  HDMI sound is excellent but the built in analog sound drivers crackle badly every time they are started and stopped. AFAIK there has not been a fix for this and iti s supposed to be quite hard to ramp up the Alsa volume on starting a sound stream.

              Normally to change soundcards in linux you can use Alsamixer - I haven't got an external soundcard for my shack Pi yet (the other PI is indeed a media centre using HDMI for both sound and video) so I haven't tried this. I will be interested in your results when you get an external USB sound card working to know whether the Alsa crackling problem is only on the built-in card or whether it occurs on USB cards too. I've been playing about with speech synth and the startup-stop noise is annoying.

              Brian G0UKB